Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2015 3:56:51 PM EDT
I am working out of town at the moment and will be home in late April. I am making more than I am used to and will have $500 or so to spend when i return. I want to be more prepared for SHTF but I am on the coast so preparing for a Hurricane is more reasonable. I have about a 30 day supply of random stuff that you find at the grocery store and have started to get my wife into picking up extra items. I have a broken 5500 generator that I got cheap and just believe it needs the carb rebuilt (was supposed to run). I have a well but have no way to get water without power (1/2 hp motor). I am not really sure what I am asking but will have some extra money to buy a bigger ticket item or several smaller items. I live in a small doublewide so space is limited. I am also interested in buying a small HF solar setup.

In a different matter of guns and ammo. As guns do apply to SHTF my personal interest is more hobby related. I own a AR, 10/22, and a G19. I am considering buying a 308 bolt or A10, vz2008 or maybe a 9mm carbine. I also planning on trading the G19 for a Shield and getting my CCW. I have mixed feeling on buying ammo. I do not shoot a ton but would like to stock up as I do have little kids and think it will be hard for them to get ammo when they are older.

Really not sure what I asking but better to ask now than after SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, there are lots of good posts here. Just be warned that many survival/prep sites are gear focused.  I've seen some people here with over 1K in their bug out bags. If funds are plentiful that's fine, if they are limited don't fall into the trap.

Hurricane prepping is SHTF prepping. Just extend the time and complexity of your preps as funds allow.

Foods #1 rule- eat what you store, store what you eat. i,e, Don't buy MREs. buy shelf stable items you enjoy eating now and rotate.  Be sure and get an inexpensive way to heat them.

Store enough water so that you don't have to worry about a short term power outage  Although you hear 1 gallon per day per person, it should preferably be around 4 gallons per day per person for washing and hygeine (sponge baths,flushing toilets, etc).

Some good LED lights, a battery powered radio, bug spray, sleeping bags, a few basic hand tools, and a little food and water can get you through most short term events.

Stay away form the Harbor freight solar kit.  Those things might have been decent deals ten years ago- not anymore.

You have a good basic firearms selection. i know it is a personal choice but the G19 is not sexy but a marvelous tool. It is a rock solid choice for a good all around gun.  Ammo is not a bad choice when the prices are lower and you have the funds. IMO, You should definitely get a CCW. That might definately keep you out of trouble in the event of LE encounter
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I also planning on trading the G19 for a Shield and getting my CCW..
View Quote

You should punch yourself in the face for such blasphemy.

The G19 is the greatest CCW of all time.

With the $500, it looks to me like you need to get the generator fixed, get a supply of fuel and more food storage.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
if you have room in the well casing for a 1 1/4" drop tube, a deep piston hand pump is not that expensive or difficult to make...several good videos on the net...make arrangements to store both potable and non potable water (washing/flushing toilet), and a Sawyer or similar filter might be a good idea... good weather alert radio with SAME specific county warning... something to cook on (preferably multi fuel capable... propane and gasoline/coleman fuel)... couple of 5 or 7 day coolers (one to store food in, one to transport ice)... emergency area and task lighting...battery powered fans to help you sleep...I'd shoot for a months supply of food you typically eat, and rotate...basic hand tools if you need to board up...couple of blue tarps, couple of boxes of torx head deck screws and driver, just in case

I've lived on the Central Gulf Coast of Florida for 60 years... ask if you have any hurricane specific questions
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't buy a .308.

Buy ammo for what you have,
practice when you can. The
.556 will be good enough out
to 500+ yards with even a
budget optic. I like the Primary
Arms 1-6 & 1-4 and they are
reasonably priced. Then keep
an eye out for a good used
second AR.

Food, water, first aid, heat,
shelter, protection, cooking.

Buy a little at a time for each
of those categories, and you'll
be surprised at how fast it will
add up, if you stay steady at it.
Buy big when you have a windfall,
and buy small when you don't.

Bulk bags of bean and rice is a good
affordable way to bulk up in a hurry.
Store in Mylar bags with O2 absorbers
in Lowe's buckets will work just fine.
Then start adding in specialty things
like dried fruits, drink mixes, cheese
& butter powder, etc, to supplement.

Don't get overwhelmed.  Just get
started & stay at it.

Best of luck.

John
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

With the $500, it looks to me like you need to get the generator fixed, get a supply of fuel and more food storage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank You, I get what your saying but I just feel the G19 is to big for me to carry often. I will try to repair Gen but still considering an additional smaller one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if you have room in the well casing for a 1 1/4" drop tube, a deep piston hand pump is not that expensive or difficult to make...several good videos on the net...make arrangements to store both potable and non potable water (washing/flushing toilet), and a Sawyer or similar filter might be a good idea... good weather alert radio with SAME specific county warning... something to cook on (preferably multi fuel capable... propane and gasoline/coleman fuel)... couple of 5 or 7 day coolers (one to store food in, one to transport ice)... emergency area and task lighting...battery powered fans to help you sleep...I'd shoot for a months supply of food you typically eat, and rotate...basic hand tools if you need to board up...couple of blue tarps, couple of boxes of torx head deck screws and driver, just in case

I've lived on the Central Gulf Coast of Florida for 60 years... ask if you have any hurricane specific questions
View Quote

Thank You for all the info, I am in NC so we do not get hit as hard as FL but if they miss you they are headed my way typically. You mentioned a few items I have not though to much about.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:12:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy a .308.

Buy ammo for what you have,
practice when you can. The
.556 will be good enough out
to 500+ yards with even a
budget optic. I like the Primary
Arms 1-6 & 1-4 and they are
reasonably priced. Then keep
an eye out for a good used
second AR.

Food, water, first aid, heat,
shelter, protection, cooking.

Buy a little at a time for each
of those categories, and you'll
be surprised at how fast it will
add up, if you stay steady at it.
Buy big when you have a windfall,
and buy small when you don't.

Bulk bags of bean and rice is a good
affordable way to bulk up in a hurry.
Store in Mylar bags with O2 absorbers
in Lowe's buckets will work just fine.
Then start adding in specialty things
like dried fruits, drink mixes, cheese
& butter powder, etc, to supplement.

Don't get overwhelmed.  Just get
started & stay at it.

Best of luck.

John
View Quote

Thank You
Already rocking a Primary Arms 1--6
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
the prudent thing is to do what you can now, for Hurricane season.  SHTF, other than a natural disaster like that, just ain't gonna happen any time soon.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Stop focusing on weapons and stockpiles. Think bug out and where to go. Sometimes the only safe place to be is elsewhere. Be prepared for that.

I say this because the coast is the most desirable place to live, and the least survivable. The most destructive forces are water and air. The coast is where they come together, look for a bug out location in the towns inland reachable on half a tank of gas. Get a place, small and easy to keep ready or use for weekends. See if you could do wood heat in an emergency. Stock it if you can.

Even knowing where there is a lakeside cabin motel room for early evacuation would be valuable. Take an exploratory trip this summer. See what's available.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
All my guns /ammo didn't stop a hurricane fro destroying 80% of my life several years back...
My camping gear on the other hand saved the day every day....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
You mention you are on the coast.  Are you going to evacuate or hunker down in the case of a hurricane?  I think the answer to this changes how you should plan quite a bit.

In either case:

Have a way to filter water for drinking.

Have a way to cook food.

Have enough cash and everyday supplies to get you through a period without or limited income.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are on a budget you might want to consider Auctions.

The small country auctions are amazing for prepping supplies.

I have been at auctions where everything from tools to food was being sold literally pennies on the dollar.

Last week I hit one where three large boxes of assorted can goods went for $6. All within sell by dates. probably $50 worth of food.
I added an entire box of kitchen supplies with knives forks, spoons etc.... For $3. And guess what? When I went through it someone left 3 solid silver spoons in it. So I scored on that one. Last night I bought 2 nice cast iron skillets and 2 cases of Ball canning jars for less than $20.00 for all of it.

Tons of items you can or might need.

Go to auctionzip.com and search your area. Go to several as they vary greatly for quality of items and prices.

Oh and the people watching is unbeatable. These are the country people you will want around you when the SHTF. Trust me on that one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#14]
<----Lives far from the coast in TX
<----Been here on ArfcomSF since I joined Arfcom.
<----Still remember protus "Cane-O-the-week" threads of '04

Bunnerrabbit, Welcome to the SF

I have a long welcome post that has been posted many times that you could probably find by googling "Welcome to the SF"

Just my $0.02...

You gotta have fuel to feed the generator and/or to feed your vehicle if you drive inland.  Read the first two pages of the Fuel Can Oracle (tacked thread) then get yourself some NATO fuel cans and a super siphon.  $150 or less. IM me if you need help finding these items.

$350 left

Camp stove.  Do you have one?  Get one if you don't.
Walmart has a selection of reasonably priced options.  $50 would get you cooking with gas = 1 pound propane bottles.  $100 would get you cooking with multifuel Coleman = gasoline or coleman fuel.

$250 left

You do keep the tank on your cars three quarters full right?  Fill em n keep em near full.  $80 to fill and no new expense to top up often.

$170 left

Fill the fuel cans you bought $70

$100

Save the change for a "rainy day"

poof your $500 is gone

BTDT

My camping gear has PAID for itself.

Quoted:
All my guns /ammo didn't stop a hurricane fro destroying 80% of my life several years back...

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Water, or a way to purify water.

Cash.

If you haven't read it a couple times yet, visit this:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
as PA22-400 commented... the 04 hurricane season was a serious series of lessons learned... 9 days without power and mid to high 80s inside the house till past midnight
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Shelter, food, water, and power/utilities are the primary things that will keep you comfortable if you bug in.
Also consider reserving some of your SHTF funds for bugging out.  Even if you can save $20 every paycheck, that's over $500 a year.  That'll get you a decent ways inland for a few days...probably enough to get to a friend or relative's house.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Like they say, prepare for the greatest threat first.

Maybe a utility trailer for bug out if a hurricane is a direct hit.

I'd consider getting the genny up and running first and keep it in running condition; some NATO fuel cans to get you through the downtime,
see if the genny can run the water pump (if your water doesn't get contaminated from the storm), or water storage, water filtration/purification;
maybe a small A/C window unit that your genny can run to cool one bedroom; a little extra ammo; mosquito netting if the genny goes down.  
I'll assume you have a camp stove or something to cook on.  
LED headlamps for each member of your family.

Living without power isn't too bad if you have water available.
With a generator it makes life a lot easier; you can run your refrigerator/freezer, ceiling fans, and a A/C unit to cool one bedroom.  
If you can get a halfway decent night of sleep without the sweltering heat, it makes a big difference.
And like they say "If mama ain't happy, then no one is happy."

Lack of storage; lack of secure storage.  Depending on your situation, you could build a storage space over the tongues of the mobile home, maybe 6'-8' wide the width of the mobile home.  Consider using metal sheets like used in commercial buildings to build a secure storage area.   Or consider buying a used connex/shipping container.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thank You, I get what your saying but I just feel the G19 is to big for me to carry often. I will try to repair Gen but still considering an additional smaller one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not the appropriate forum for gun debates, however a gun with you is better than a gun at home so it sounds like you know what you want.

You are already ahead of most people if you have thirty days put up.

As for the generator I recommend you buy a rebuild kit yourself and have a go. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined the worst thing that could happen is that it still doesn't run. Then when it is fixed you will know your equipment much better.

ETA: however, I think everyone should have a good smaller generator. I have been living off of a Honda Eu2000 for over a week now in Panama until solar batteries arrive. We are able to do everything we need to including using a washing machine. 5500 watts is going to be loud and suck fuel. But, you have it and it is better than what most have so I am just making a suggestion for the future.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Time is getting closer this is my current list

1400/1800 or 3500/4000 champion generator

Fix older generator

Camp stove, with several small tanks. Also 2nd large tank for grill.

2 Coolers

Blue Tarp

Water Filter

55 Gallon Water Drum, Main use for flushing

Optional way to get water from well

Way to take shower without power

Fuel Cans and Fuel. How much?

Batteries Rechargeable AA and 18V Tool Batteries

Bug Spray

Ammo

List of things that have been mentioned but feel I am good on
Drinking Water, Food, Lights, Sleeping Bags, Tools, Cash on Hand, Window unit.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I use a 33 gal plastic trash can in the shower tub for washing and flushing as it gives me access to the shower drain...pour directly into the bowl (practice beforehand) a hand wand shower massage type of shower head makes it easy to fill  (remove the head) as well as fill the stored water containers at the beginning of the season....pic shows a couple of options to heat water, and dedicated pump sprayer (no chemicals)...don't overlook a coil of garden hose... a 3mil contractor bag laid with a 2x4 under the open end, and another board on top... the tent fan with a model airplane collet propeller adapter will power my ceiling fan for over 9 hrs on a single D cell and for 6 hours with a pair of AA Eneloops in an adapter... highly recommend standardizing your batteries to AA Eneloops...bamboo skewers to cook kabob style saves hot water for clean up

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#22]
After reading ar-jedi's post about hurricane sandy I would suggest a solar setup for your well. I am in the process of buying a house on a well and that will be my number one priority. Having a generator is nice but how much fuel can you store to power your well pump.

Another suggestion is a good water filter.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After reading ar-jedi's post about hurricane sandy I would suggest a solar setup for your well. I am in the process of buying a house on a well and that will be my number one priority. Having a generator is nice but how much fuel can you store to power your well pump.

Another suggestion is a good water filter.
View Quote

What???

A solar setup that would have enough umph to run the OP's well would be beyond the budget he posted in the start of this thread.

How would a solar array stand up to hurricane damage?

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With the $500, it looks to me like you need to LEARN TO FIX THE GENERATOR, get a supply of fuel and more food storage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the $500, it looks to me like you need to LEARN TO FIX THE GENERATOR, get a supply of fuel and more food storage.

FIFY

We're here to help!

Then maybe sell it and find another smaller one if that's what you want.

Fix it too if necessary.

Save the cash for other stuff.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Sold the G19 not sure what i am going to get.
"there has been some comments on guns. I really just see guns as a
hobby not related to the point of the post however welcome comments"

Stocked up on some more food and water.

Bought 5.1 Freezer and kinda filled it up.

Bought 3500/4000 champion generator from tractor supply

Still plan on fixing old generator.

As far as the new one goes should I run it or just leave it in the box?

I plan on running well pump, refrigerator, freezer, water heater, and window unit. "No not at the same time"

My main focus now is hurricane prep and possible longer term power outages.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I've acquired my hurricane preps over time... cover the necessities first... water...low prep foods, and a way to use up your perishable meats... a 5 or 7 day cooler works if you don't want to run your generator.... multiple fuel stove ... I use propane primarily but have a gasoline option...emergency weather radio for warnings...I have both LED and kerosene lanterns, and have attempted to standardize on Sanyo Eneloop AA for hurricane electronics...good LED headlight and task light...portable drill and deck screws (TorX) if you have to board up, or pre cut and use PlyLocs if you have masonry... blue tarp and roof mastic for a puncture.. hot water for shower, and potable water to flush toilet....but after the initial storm and cleanup, boredom and change in routine became evident...during the 9 day power outage in 2004, entertainment in hot 90F humid weather rivaled the need to be cool enough to sleep... at the time I had a old analog portable TV that ran off batteries and cigarette plug, but since that time due to the format change, the analog has been replaced with a digital with rabbit ear and extended cable and connectors...., and have upgraded the Harley Davidson battery to a deep discharge marine battery with attached cigarette receptacle... something to think about... the battery is to run the TV and augment the Goal Zero 7 watt panel to keep the Eneloops charged to run the ceiling fan

charger works from 1 - 4 cells

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As far as the new one goes should I run it or just leave it in the box?
View Quote

Run it!  With load, I might add!  The only thing worse than finding out your new thing doesn't work is finding out when you need that thing the most.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a long welcome post that has been posted many times that you could probably find by googling "Welcome to the SF"

Just my $0.02...

You gotta have fuel to feed the generator and/or to feed your vehicle if you drive inland.  Read the first two pages of the Fuel Can Oracle (tacked thread) then get yourself some NATO fuel cans and a super siphon.  $150 or less. IM me if you need help finding these items.

$350 left

Walmart has a selection of reasonably priced options.  $50 would get you cooking with gas = 1 pound propane bottles.  $100 would get you cooking with multifuel Coleman = gasoline or coleman fuel.

$250 left

You do keep the tank on your cars three quarters full right?  Fill em n keep em near full.  $80 to fill and no new expense to top up often.

$170 left

$100

poof your $500 is gone

BTDT

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just my $0.02...

$350 left

$250 left

$170 left

$100

poof your $500 is gone

BTDT

Quoted:

QFT (  You are new, it means "quoted for truth.)

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Run it and put it back in the box, optionally after draining the carb bowl.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted: I also planning on trading the G19 for a Shield and getting my CCW.
View Quote

Lets just pretend you didnt just say that... and may God have mercy on your soul.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#31]
If you own your home I would see if you have room for a interlock kit for your breaker box.

I learned how to strip my generators carbs down with the help of the wonderful folks here. I actually enjoyed the experience.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lets just pretend you didnt just say that... and may God have mercy on your soul.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I also planning on trading the G19 for a Shield and getting my CCW.

FerFAL

Its gone

Sorry if i wasn't supposed to use " "

Budget is kinda blown but still picking up some stuff I NEED.

Isn't 3500 kinda small to be messing with interlock?

Have a extra 12v battery might try to get a inverter and do something with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you own your home I would see if you have room for a interlock kit for your breaker box.

I learned how to strip my generators carbs down with the help of the wonderful folks here. I actually enjoyed the experience.
View Quote

Good for you B-M!!!  

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Budget is kinda blown but still picking up some stuff I NEED.

Isn't 3500 kinda small to be messing with interlock?

Have a extra 12v battery might try to get a inverter and do something with it.
View Quote

3500 is kinda a Umm Yes and Umm No about the interlock.

3500 will not run the whole house if you have a stupid family that cannot wrap their minds around power management.  Soooo do not get an interlock.

Buuuut

3500 will run a big thing (fridge, or hair drier, or microwave) and a few small things (lights or cell phone chargers) at the same time.  So IF and IF and ONLY IF your whole family can do the math to not overload the 3500 then an interlock is a choice.

Point Two:  Just cause you got an extra battery don't mean you got a good batter plus inverter system.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a 3500, interlock going in.

If nothing, when you get a bigger generator, the interlock is already there.

The interlock makes it easy to run the fridge/freezer/window AC and not have to run extension chords all over.

I will be doing a lot of wiring soon, and the fridge/freezers will have a dedicated circuit, the window AC will also have a dedicated circuit. Well pump has a dedicated circuit. Makes energy management easy: just turn all other breakers off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#36]
if you retrofit, it helps to have your necessary circuits clearly labeled....

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have a well but have no way to get water without power (1/2 hp motor).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a well but have no way to get water without power (1/2 hp motor).

Quoted:
Bought 3500/4000 champion generator from tractor supply

you will want to check now, while you still have power and there is no SHTF situation, whether the generator will in fact run the well pump.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fuel Cans and Fuel. How much?
View Quote

this is ENTIRELY dependent on how you want to live, and how long you are going to live like that.

if you want to run the A/C unit 24x7 after a power outage, you are going to need a shit-ton of fuel.
if you simply run the well pump 3 times a day for 60 seconds, you are going to need very little fuel.

so i think you should set a fuel "budget", and then try it out.

your budget should start at say, 1 gallon of gas per day.  hence, 5 gallons would last 5 days.
now then, with your generator and your needs, what can you do with 1 gallon per day, for 5 days?

if it's not enough -- for example, you find you need 2 gallons per day, then you either can:
-- double the amount of fuel you store to 10 gallons.
-- half the amount of days that you are prepped for (from 5 days to 2.5 days).

ps
the method above is the way i started and honestly there are things that i simply did not count on.

example, after about a week of SHTF cleanup you will find that you have no clean clothes.
we have a creek but the water is quite iron-laden in the creek so it's no good to wash clothes in.
furthermore it was 30'F at night so drying the clothes on a line would have been difficult.

after Sandy it got to the point that i had to run the washer / dryer and do several loads of wash;
this was REALLY expensive in terms of the amount of fuel used.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/661411_Sandy____12_days_without_power__what_worked__what_didn_t____.html&page=7#i11545368

but most importantly, TEST YOUR SHIT while it's sunny out.  seriously, pick a day in May when it is 80'F and test everything.
it is a lot easier to diagnose problems and figure out solutions when the power is on, the internet works, Amazon is delivering, etc.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/647155__ARCHIVED_THREAD____a_reminder____test_your_stuff_while_it_s_warm_and_sunny_outside___.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been reading this board since 2007 and have learned a lot. I haven't had any major events to survive yet but I've had some smaller ones like week long power outages and employment changes. For me these were key

1. One year of money in the bank with a small percentage in cash at home in case the bank is closed.

2. Minimal debt  

I was able to take a job paying 40% less 7 miles from my house vs 60 miles because I had low debt and savings. Eventually I made the same at the new job but needed savings to cover the years I didn't.

3. Generator and at least 1 week of fuel in good fuel cans.

4. 50 gallons drinking water in military water cans

5. 50 gallons of water in a blue water barrel for dishes etc..

This and my above ground pool got my family through a week long power outage with minimal problems. Having a basement was nice to since it was over 100 most days but stayed in the 70s in the basement. Other neighbors sat in a hot house in the dark while their food rotted.

6. 3 months of food minimum

7. Some type of backup heat. I use Kerosene and it kept the house warm after more than one ice storm caused a power outage.

8. A small generator for daily use. The large generator used too much fuel so I added a small 2000w Champion.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top