Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2013 4:51:54 AM EDT
Check this out guys.

Kickstarter

Found it on kickstarter and the design looks solid. Very modular and multiple modes, the stove tinkerers dream.

I am really digging the rocket style fuel port and double walls. The creator says that all parts will be available individually online so you can mix and match to make the stove that works for you. Also works with both 3 and 4 wall configuration.

I am seriously considering funding this so I can get one when they ship next month.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Check this out guys.

Kickstarter

Found it on kickstarter and the design looks solid. Very modular and multiple modes, the stove tinkerers dream.

I am really digging the rocket style fuel port and double walls. The creator says that all parts will be available individually online so you can mix and match to make the stove that works for you. Also works with both 3 and 4 wall configuration.

I am seriously considering funding this so I can get one when they ship next month.

I'm thinking about it too, especially when the donation cost is so low to get one. Seems pretty awesome
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I funded for the ultimate Core 3. Comes with the TLUD plate, rocket feeder and the afterburners for a 3 sided stove.

The 4 sided one looks too big for my pot. But I checked out his website. You can order the extra plates seperate to make it if you want. Should be a fun stove to play around with.

You can use it barebones too similar to the emberlit.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is intriguing but having heard so many horror stories of people waiting forever to get their stuff I'm skeptical.

His online store is up and he is anticipating an August ship time.

He said they pre ordered enough units to drop production costs a little so he is including an esbit tab tray for each one shipped now.

I'm not too worried, I used my credit card through Amazon, so if it tanks or he fails to deliver you can just dispute the charge.

I am anxious to play around with the modularity of it all. I have a few stoves I have made but none of them pack flat so I never take them in with me, I usually just light a ground fire, but a stove would be handy for concentrating heat faster. We just use the petrol stove when needed, but it's not nearly as fun as lighting stuff on fire.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks cool.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I will give it a try. My wife has used that site to sponsor a few other people without any problems.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll add one of those to the pile.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Why would you want the 4 side over the 3? Less feeding?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

More stable for large pots I would guess. Chad messaged me back about the width on top. They are about 5 inches on each side, so my billy can and alot of mugs would fall right down in, with 3 sides most of them will sit on there fine.

Plus, there is that much less weight to carry if you are are into counting ounces.

I am anxious to test it out with the rocket port and constrictor plate on top and see how it compares to the emberlit in barebones configuration.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I just checked the comments, he added some more pictures and put this comparison video up showing a few different configurations.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

More stable for large pots I would guess. Chad messaged me back about the width on top. They are about 5 inches on each side, so my billy can and alot of mugs would fall right down in, with 3 sides most of them will sit on there fine.

Plus, there is that much less weight to carry if you are are into counting ounces.

I am anxious to test it out with the rocket port and constrictor plate on top and see how it compares to the emberlit in barebones configuration.

Thanks. Im a huge fan of my Emberlit UL, but always looking to improve. It would definitely be nice to see some real info or comparison vids.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Im a huge fan of my Emberlit UL, but always looking to improve. It would definitely be nice to see some real info or comparison vids.

It's still ten days from funding, and I assume a month from shipping, but when I get mine I will post up some test results with different types of wood in different modes and boil times.

I don't know why I love stoves so much, you would think a ground fire would be adequate, but something about being able to concentrate the heat effectively is just fun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I will continue to support Emberlit, Not this knock-off pseudo modified copy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a helluva lotta crap to carry with you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 4:39:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This..
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I funded it.  There are a few things I liked about it over the Emberlit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I was originally just going to get the core 3 package, but upped my pledge to the forge package so i can get all the extrastuff to mess around with.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have to say that this looks like it has some interesting modifications.  The afterburner plates reducing soot by adding a secondary O2 stream at the top for one.

Besides, competition is good.  It lowers prices and promotes innovation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:44:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like?
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Like?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like?

I think the rocket port is a neat feature.

Plus the fact that he has every individual piece for sale at his store, so  you can basically build what suits you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:45:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think the rocket port is a neat feature.

Plus the fact that he has every individual piece for sale at his store, so  you can basically build what suits you.
View Quote

The port, yes, but also the scalability and the afterburners seem like a neat idea.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:25:18 AM EDT
[#23]
The only thing I don't really like, and not just from this stove but as a general idea is the TLUD mode.

For camping or hiking it just doesn't make sense to carry out a few cups of wood pellets when you can carry gas or alcohol a lot easier.

For emergency use at home sure I guess, just not my cup of tea.

The afterburners are a very nifty idea too. I am anxious to see the heat output and burning efficiency difference between the 3 and 4 sided modes. The 4 sided stove looks pretty large when assembled, like for cooking on a big pot or skillet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks like an emberlit knock off, no thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#25]
The creator is actually talking with the Emberlit people regarding any possible patent infringement.

The whole concept is a front fed stove with totally different internals and possibilities.

One could argue that the Emberlit is just a knockoff of the fold flat stoves the bushcraft guys have been making and posting about for years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Update:

Funding was cancelled for the Core and they are partnering up with the Emberlit people to offer it again on kickstarter, probably with some even more design features.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep.  Not sure how I feel about it, either.  Seems pretty shitty to use a crowd sourcing campaign to get your design bought, then cancel said campaign.  The Aimpoint T-1 iCover or whatever it's called was bought as well, but they completed their campaign and everyone got their shit before it went to retail.

Well it went down to the wire but I am pleased to announce that my negotiations with MerkWares™ (Home of the Emberlit™ Stove) have gone very well. In fact, we’ve just come to an agreement that the Core product and I will be joining the MerkWares™ team! This partnership will catapult the Core product to a whole new level and allow me to offer an even better product to you all. It’s going to take a little time, and a little bit of your help to get things set up to produce the Core in volume so we’ll be closing down this campaign while we work out those details. However, we’ll be back on Kickstarter in about 30 days or less under the MerkWares™ brand – so keep an eye out for us!

In the meantime, it sincerely pains me to cancel this Kickstarter project and I don’t want to disappoint any of you while we work through this transition. So to ease your pain MerkWares™ has generously offered a code for 50% off any Emberlit™ Stove (even the ultra-light titanium stove) to everyone who made a pledge to this campaign.This discount has NEVER been offered before and likely will never be available again. If you backed this campaign, please send me an email with your Kickstarter user name to [email protected] to receive your coupon code and to find out how to get another FREE gift.

We’ll be posting a blog on our developments at www.emberlit.com and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/emberlit so you can follow our progress.

I really appreciate all of your support and I’m excited to join the MerkWares™ team. I’m confident we’ll accomplish great things together and produce an even better product for you so I hope you’ll continue to support us!

I’m working through this as fast as I can so please help me by bugging us on www.facebook.com/emberlit about the progress of your Core and I apologize for the delay!

Chad
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#28]
This was the first and probably last KS donation........ talk about a load of shit
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is what is even stranger for me.

I ordered a stove from his store first thing this morning, because I wanted two.

Now the store is down and my card has been charged, I sent him an email to see what is going to happen in regards to my order.

I am tempted to order a titanium emberlit with the coupon code and resell it for close to retail and make 40 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone have access to a waterjet table?
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does anyone have access to a waterjet table?
View Quote

A friend and I were discussing that earlier. If someone swooped in and started a new campaign with a similar product it may generate enough buzz to get all of the Core stoves backers.

I am going to experiment with some flashing on a few rocket stove designs I scrapped last year, might just come up with something.

Using flashing is nice because you can get a decent concept that actually works until it melts, plus its cheap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I was a backer... no way I will deal with those companies now.  

The whole thing smells like a free advertising campaign.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not free.  You get a 50% discount coupon to Emberlit.

So if I can upgrade my Core Forge kit to a titanium Forge kit for effectively free, I'll take it.

I feel certain that Emberlit and the guy behind the Core Bioreactor were engaged in much legal sparring regarding possible patent infringement.  I'm glad that they were able to come to an agreement without the need for litigation.

And I'll have more money 30 days from now anyway.  Funding the Kickstarter was a bit of a stretch for me at this particular time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So if I can upgrade my Core Forge kit to a titanium Forge kit for effectively free, I'll take it.

I feel certain that Emberlit and the guy behind the Core Bioreactor were engaged in much legal sparring regarding possible patent infringement.  I'm glad that they were able to come to an agreement without the need for litigation.

And I'll have more money 30 days from now anyway.  Funding the Kickstarter was a bit of a stretch for me at this particular time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the 50% coupon stays valid until the new product line rolls out then I would say good by both of them. But if it is only good for the currently available emberlit stoves then it just comes off as them trying to liquidate old stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Just saw this in the comments from Chad:

Creator Chad Mueller about 10 hours ago
Hi Everyone,
I understand that many of you are pretty bent out of shape because the project was canceled and would like some of the details so I'll try to explain.

Starting a new company is a complicated task and many unexpected issues come up in the process. In this case, something very unexpected came up. Whenever attorneys immediately get involved things get messy, choices become limited and things get complicated and expensive very quickly. Starting a new company and immediately having lawyers involved would easily crush an underfunded start up.
In order to get a product into large chain stores usually the product must be patented or licensed from a patent holder. The larger chain stores won't risk buying a large volume of one product just to find out later that they can't sell it because the manufacturer violated a patent. The reaction by the MerkWare advisory team was an automatically triggered response to protect their new patent. My understanding is they have to at least growl at anything that comes close to infringing on their patent to show suppliers that they're serious about protecting the integrity of their product already on store shelves as well as for upcoming contracts.
The decision to work out a deal with MerkWares wasn't based on patent infringement, as far as I'm concerned. The decision was beneficial to both parties because it would avoid the automatic legal response by their financiers and MerkWares already has the know how to produce the product, the manufacturers and contracts that keep manufacturing prices low and the distribution and marketing channels already in place.
After coming to an agreement, because the legal process is so slow, the deadline of the project really pushed the Kickstarter project cancelation. MerkWares supplier isn't setup to manufacture various elements of the Core product yet and MerkWares needs to use their manufacturer, for various reasons. Considering the incorporation of the Core product into their portfolio, and all the legalities of that combined with the shipping delay caused by changing manufacturers mid project would have also caused a problem with the product delivery schedule, which would be another nightmare in itself. The other issue was the project cost numbers with their manufacturer vs. the production costs with mine could have put the project underwater. So the decision was made, late yesterday, that there was a good chance, considering all combined elements that it was very possible that we wouldn't be able to meet the expectations originally expressed in the Kickstarter project and therefore it should be canceled.
There are a lot more details involved that but without rambling that’s the general overview. As you've already seen, Mikhail from MerkWares has filmed a video explaining some of the details on the Emberlit facebook page.

The Core product will survive and will be a product line under the MerkWares brand and I understand your frustration but there are lots of details involved that are yet to be worked out. The next step is to get stamping dies made so that the Core can be made at a low enough cost to be able to have enough profit margins that stores will carry it. Without a die to produce them, the in store price of the Core would be a lot more than they were in this project and those dies cost $30,000+.

I did everything I could not to leave you guys high and dry and the MerkWares team felt the same way or they wouldn't have offered the free gift and 50% off their product. I am well aware that the offering is not for an equivalent product but it could get you though in a pinch. I do value the support you've provided and I will be pushing for a discounted price on the Core stove for everyone that supported this project as many have already suggested. So please bear with me as we get all of these elements worked out and remember… the legal system exists to protect everyone… right?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If the 50% coupon stays valid until the new product line rolls out then I would say good by both of them. But if it is only good for the currently available emberlit stoves then it just comes off as them trying to liquidate old stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's fair enough.  The video said the Core should be rolling out in about 30 days.  Hopefully the coupon will be good at least until then.

If not, I'll be joining you in writing some nasty letters to both Emberlit and Kickstarter.  Under those circumstances I'd be encouraging Kickstarter to set up their contracts so that if your project gets funded you can NOT cancel it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#38]
just wait until all the facts are in. You'd be surprised by just what is going on behind the scenes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
just wait until all the facts are in. You'd be surprised by just what is going on behind the scenes.
View Quote

well, if you know, spill it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm cheerfully giving the benefit of the doubt, just in case my previous post left any question on that.

But surprises aren't always good, just to be pragmatic about things.

I'm looking forward to the results.  Each product had (a) feature(s) that the other didn't.  Getting options like the Emberlit crossbar to support smaller vessels (e.g. a coffee pot) on the Bioreactor, or the Bioreactor afterburners on the Emberlit will be good.  :D
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's in a position to know quite a bit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#42]
hehe
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, after much consideration, I decided to go ahead and get the Emberlit Ti stove with the 50% off code.  I had already almost purchased the SS version before I saw the Core campaign, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

If I am, I'll wait to see what they do with the next kickstarter and sell the Emberlit for a profit.

I really hope they've learned something through all of this.  Transperancy and communication are paramount in these sorts of matters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know that's Mikhail, right?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#45]
tag for later
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could I have possibly known that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know if we go with the coupon code how long it will last?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey Guys, if you get a coupon code as a core backer it will last until you use it. However, there may be circumstances where I'd have to issue a new code. If the one you have doesn't work just send an email and I'll get you a new  one. The situation is still getting resolved, or rather, we haven't hear a thing from the Core people in a few days.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

it's ok, I've been on arfcom long before I came out with the Emberlt.

I'm just being super careful on what I put out there. Mostly because we are getting all sorts of mixed info from the Core people.  The kickstarter Project seems to be the issue everyone is upset about regardless if we begin working with Chad or not. We didn't shut down the kickstarter, we had no intention  of doing so and even offered to help with our own resources to meet the obligations to the backers. This was the Core's decision.

Feel free to pm me with questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm just being super careful on what I put out there. Mostly because we are getting all sorts of mixed info from the Core people.  The kickstarter Project seems to be the issue everyone is upset about regardless if we begin working with Chad or not. We didn't shut down the kickstarter, we had no intention  of doing so and even offered to help with our own resources to meet the obligations to the backers. This was the Core's decision.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the sort of information that should be posted on your Facebook or posted as a comment on the Kickstarter page to keep people in the loop.  

I was just annoyed at how the whole thing went down.  As it stands, I'm happy with my Emberlit Ti and would possibly kickstart a Core, but this whole situation is starting to become comical with all the conflicting information.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top