Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2016 4:19:15 PM EDT
Mrs subvet707 wanted to let one of our hens hatch out some eggs so we decided to let her try. The neighbor was kind enough to let us have 6 fertilized Black Copper Maran eggs and we put in 5 of ours. We have Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens and a rooster and a couple other hens. Yesterday was 21 days and sure enough we heard peeps under the hen. She's a good mom and will peck you whenever you reach in.

If you look close you can see them under her feathers. So far eight have hatched. Don't think that's too bad of a percentage.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Braaaaaaawk! Bawk!, Bawk!, Bawk!, Bawk!, Baaaawkaaa!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll let hens hatch eggs. But I won't let them keep the chicks. I'll pull them for a brood box. I get much better survival rates this way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
was she being broody before you let her try or did you just stick them in and see what would happen?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
She was very broody. Was sitting on eggs every night when we collected. Very protective too. Reaching in to grab eggs would get you pecked.

Ended up hatching nine of eleven eggs. Other two must not have been fertilized.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]

You can see eight of the nine and the two eggs in the background that didn't hatch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Well, they will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and they are all doing well. Nine hatched and nine survived. It's quite comical watching her teach them how to scratch and find bugs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top