Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 4:31:25 PM EDT
A friend was telling me about it.

One of his favorite novels is now going to be a movie.

Official Site for THE ROAD
(Be sure to watch the trailer)

Looks like this might as well be the first **Official THE ROAD*** thread here.

Looks dark.

Get ready for at least a minor run on stuff when it comes out.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it's about time...the original release date was 11/26/2008.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It sure can't be worse than the book...
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
looks good
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I share your feelings. However when I voice that sentiment, people that have read the book think I am crazy. It was a very poorly written book I thought.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
If you get past the punctuation and lack of capitalization.... the story runs 'plausible' for the scenario: it's 7 years POST some titanic, nation-wide if not global wide catastrophe that de-populated huge swaths of the nation, led to wide spread surface fires, and generally wiped out organized civilization.... the protagonist, a Dad, basically kept his wife and unborn child alive through 7 harrowing years of who knows what sort of struggle, strife, desperate straits....until finally he's forced by his own mortality to think about getting his boy, now between 6 and 7 to safety down "south" where the thought goes, things will be warmer and he might stand a chance....
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Another Hollywood dipshit teotwawki movie of what they fantasize it might be like to me. It doesn't make much sense from the time gone by and surviving, to what the characters have got on them and assembled to continue to survive. Everything was not burnt up in a pile of ashes and there are buildings and vehicles everwhere, which means there are cashes to be found. I would be scrounging my ass off regardless of what I had and to not have come across some good equipment, arms, food stores and other supplies is pretty fucking far off in my mind. Which makes the movie stupid in plot and annoying to watch to me.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

x2.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like two thumbs up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
He needs an AR
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He needs an AR

All the ammo was used up in the last 7 years. Every thing has been scrounged up, stolen, looted, eaten in the last 7 years as Photosynthesis shut down. Who here preps for a 7 year event?

Cormac McCarthy is a GREAT author and the movie can but be a pale shadow of the book.

Love it or hate it his prose is to me what Picasso's paintings were. Stripped bare and then left for you to find the meaning.

If you want detail and to be led by the nose read someone else. If you want to feel (I do mean EXPERIENCE) the dread of a dying man with a child that he dearly loves and wants desperately to protect read McCarthy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I liked the book and cannot understand why here of all places I find such harsh criticism of it. The scenario is certainly plausible to me, the reason they have next to nothing for supplies seems to be due to the fact that they keep having to abandon it all in order to escape from a larger group of dangerous survivors. With very little left in the world to find, and the fact that any people surviving would have been the type of people to hunt for hidden caches of supplies, I understand why there is not much left to find. I do find it slightly implausible that there are ANY real edible canned goods left, but by the timeframe of the story it looks as though the last of it is being found and consumed by survivors.

A very dark tale indeed, and I don't think it was meant to be a text book style TEOTWAWKI how-to guide, but a more metaphoric study of the bleakness of survival and the types of motivations that would keep people going in the darkest times.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I liked the book and cannot understand why here of all places I find such harsh criticism of it. The scenario is certainly plausible to me, the reason they have next to nothing for supplies seems to be due to the fact that they keep having to abandon it all in order to escape from a larger group of dangerous survivors. With very little left in the world to find, and the fact that any people surviving would have been the type of people to hunt for hidden caches of supplies, I understand why there is not much left to find. I do find it slightly implausible that there are ANY real edible canned goods left, but by the timeframe of the story it looks as though the last of it is being found and consumed by survivors.

A very dark tale indeed, and I don't think it was meant to be a text book style TEOTWAWKI how-to guide, but a more metaphoric study of the bleakness of survival and the types of motivations that would keep people going in the darkest times.

This
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good and I will catch it.

GM
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I will probably see this movie.  One advantage of it would be to show my wife how bad life can suck w/o preps, and hopefully this will continue to motivate her.  Also why I have her reading One Second After.

The book is a tough read because of the punctuation, and other literal tools the author used.  But, as annoying as it was I think the author used it to convey a dreary, dreadful environment - and I think he succeeded, big time.

The book was really a couple of hundred pages of misery though.

I read this book right after I read One Second After, and frankly I like One Second After better - and wish they made a movie about it in stead - but I wont mind The Road.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]
hmm.... I might have to read the book.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I share your feelings. However when I voice that sentiment, people that have read the book think I am crazy. It was a very poorly written book I thought.

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I will watch it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Just an observation based on my humble opinion...

Stories are stories, and films are films. Entertainment for now.

Yes there are things to be learned, here and there, this is the value added portion of such entertainment.

But, you will not know how it will actually go down until it happens.

The greatest strength of anyone that is gearing towards the preparedness lifestyle and mindset is flexibility.

Just my $.02... I like a good post nuke, post civilization or zombie flick as much as the next guy, but reality has to intrude somewhere in the process.

Yes, I will see the movie, when it comes out on DVD

c0
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I read the book and its a good read.  It isn't very action oriented as must of the people are dead already and those you do run into usually want what you have.

75% of the book is them literally walking along a road and what they see and live while on it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Enjoyed the book, I'll see the movie.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Another Hollywood dipshit teotwawki movie of what they fantasize it might be like to me. It doesn't make much sense from the time gone by and surviving, to what the characters have got on them and assembled to continue to survive. Everything was not burnt up in a pile of ashes and there are buildings and vehicles everwhere, which means there are cashes to be found. I would be scrounging my ass off regardless of what I had and to not have come across some good equipment, arms, food stores and other supplies is pretty fucking far off in my mind. Which makes the movie stupid in plot and annoying to watch to me.

the story takes place 7 years in......everything had pretty much been raided in that time frame - did you read it
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:43:15 AM EDT
[#26]

I thought the book was a page turner, but I don't read no good.  I'll see the movie.  At the $3 show.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:05:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He needs an AR

All the ammo was used up in the last 7 years. Every thing has been scrounged up, stolen, looted, eaten in the last 7 years as Photosynthesis shut down. Who here preps for a 7 year event?

Cormac McCarthy is a GREAT author and the movie can but be a pale shadow of the book.

Love it or hate it his prose is to me what Picasso's paintings were. Stripped bare and then left for you to find the meaning.

If you want detail and to be led by the nose read someone else. If you want to feel (I do mean EXPERIENCE) the dread of a dying man with a child that he dearly loves and wants desperately to protect read McCarthy.

what he said
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#28]
The Road, the book sucked, and I am sure that The Road, the movie will as well.

....now Zombieland on the other hand, might be worth seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?v=KlYNbUylJEg&user=ZombielandMovie
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Before you crack the book.... keep in mind that it's a tragic love story, not Patriots.

It's very moving, very very dark and a beautiful testament of one man's love for his son.  The context of the story could have been successful in pre-historic times, perhaps the dark ages or a post-apocalyptic future.  McCormac chose the future.

The book and movie are more likely to move you to tears than get your adreneline running.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I read the book awhile back.   My memory of the story is depressing.    I think id rather see "Megans Body"
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I think the movie looks well shot from what i have seen from the trailer.  I think i am going to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I recently found a copy of the book to borrow and read it.

I understand why lots of people did not like the book but I thought it was pretty decent.

The book does not pretend to be what it is not.

As far as the movie goes, I won't be in a big hurry to go see it since I tend to wait until stuff is on dvd and I mostly rent new movies since they are not worth the money to own in many cases.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Not to sure "No county for old men" sure sucked a big one and its written by the same guy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Before you crack the book.... keep in mind that it's a tragic love story, not Patriots.

It's very moving, very very dark and a beautiful testament of one man's love for his son.  The context of the story could have been successful in pre-historic times, perhaps the dark ages or a post-apocalyptic future.  McCormac chose the future.

The book and movie are more likely to move you to tears than get your adreneline running.  

if you're expecting "lights out" or "Patriots", don't go.  If the father/daughter aspect of "One second after" touched you, then you will probably like it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Admittedly, I didn't enjoy the guys writing style at all, but I did enjoy the story. It really hit home with me thinking about my kids in that situation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Cormac sucks. Book sucked.  Movie will suck also.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Cormac sucks. Book sucked.  Movie will suck also.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I really liked the book.  And until I joined Arfcom didn't realize that there was any punctuation differences in it at all.

My belief is the movie will be less than it could be because they stuck a hack female actress in it for no reason other than to draw suckers in to see it.  She's in about two pages of flashback in the book, and is LONG DEAD before the journey starts.  There's no reason for Charlise to be in it, they could have picked any woman off the street for it.  THEN they go and feature her in the trailers, which is just disingenuous.

I am going to go to the movie fully expecting to hate it, and to also walk out the door with my soul deadened.

Don't expect it to be a typical disaster movie, it won't be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's got Charlize Theron in it. I'm foing.

Never read the book but the kooky premise that he's down to a couple of rounds after 7yrs. of SHTF makes no sense. If there are a Trillion rounds of ammo in the US today, and 95% of the population is wiped out is some event, how do the other 5% shoot up a Trillion rounds and not slow down when they get down to the last few million rounds?

Umm it was used to KILL and ROB and FIGHT the 95% that died. The book never  implied or announced that the fires (Meteorites maybe) killed anyone outright. Think Chicxulub happening now. It has been a horrible 7 years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Enjoyed the book, I'll see the movie.

^^^^^

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He needs an AR

You need to post this in every Cormac McCarthy thread.  It doesn't bother me when people don't like the book.  That's fine.  I don't like Picasso.  But I do realize that my disintrest is not due to his failings as an artist.  
         Most people don't want to think about things, they just want to be told how they are. These  threads about The Road often reveal that many people have an predisposed notion about what SHTF will be, and get angry when something drastically challenges those ideas.  They want something like Patriots as opposed to the more realistic scenario of scavaging and evasion.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top