Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:49:15 PM EDT
NBC has been pimping it pretty hard, but it actually looks pretty cool. It bears a strong resemblance to the plot of Dies the Fire by Stirling which is a great book.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing it will suck.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Looked OK for the first minute or so, then the women and men showed up looking like they just returned from a 5th avenue shopping mall complete with designer clothes, neatly trimmed hair and fresh makeup. What's with all the compound bows and arrows being sported about? Must be the new cool factor in Hollywierd nowdays.

NAD
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks craptacular.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
We are going to start watching to see how it is, but with NBC's track record lately we are not too optimistic...
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#5]
All the previews look like car commercials.  The whole show will be a shitty cover front for blatant in show advertising.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The only thing I am intrigued over is how that one computer, ( and obviously another one somewhere ), still works, when everything else electric has stopped.

Also, primers and powder don't work in modern guns, but powder works in a musket?
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only thing I am intrigued over is how that one computer, ( and obviously another one somewhere ),
still works, when everything else electric has stopped.

Also, primers and powder don't work in modern guns, but powder works in a musket?

It is from Hollywood, it need not make sense.
These people are from the same area where a single action revolver (otherwise known as a six shooter)
can fire about 15 times without reloading. Or an arrow from a compound bow can throw a
225 pound man through the area and have him land six feet away. Or a heart shot kills the bad guy immediately.
(And these are just the ones that come to mind right away. We all know there are so many more)

Not even batteries work? Please.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing I am intrigued over is how that one computer, ( and obviously another one somewhere ),

still works, when everything else electric has stopped.

It is from Hollywood, it need not make sense.

These people are from the same area where a single action revolver (otherwise known as a six shooter)

can fire about 15 times without reloading. Or an arrow from a compound bow can throw a

225 pound man through the area and have him land six feet away. Or a heart shot kills the bad guy immediately.

(And these are just the ones that come to mind right away. We all know there are so many more)

Not even batteries work? Please.
The whole gunpowder doesn't work was straight from Dies the Fire, which is why I think that;s where someone got the idea.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#9]

i didnt watch it. betcha it sucks and make us look bad.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
15 years later they just let shit get grown over......yeah right. People managed to manufacture stuff, keep lawns trimmed and move things around without electricity or internal combustion engines. If need be we could do it again.

I don't know.....the whole premise and how they had things turn out seems......cheesy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Ugg...What happened to the guys at Bad Robot? The used to make decent tv.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Now i have to prepare for my firearms not working.....ahhh fuck me!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i didnt watch it. betcha it sucks and make us look bad.

this
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I watch shows like this for the entertainment, not to see what they got "right" or whatever. Sure, I might throw a beer can at the TV when something obviously moronic happens (like flicking a "safety" on a Glock, thanks Walking Dead ), but for the most part I just keep it to myself and try not to let it spoil the show's other merits. It's Hollywood, you have to expect it from them; if you demanded perfection you'd never get to watch anything at all.

I'll watch it. Couldn't be much worse than most of the other crapola they put on the platter.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i'm going to put some rope in the rafters.... be back in a little while

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been seeing the previews, and while i have a good imagination, the power just going out all over, and guns not working is just a bit over the top.  Not to mention it just looks
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been seeing the previews, and while i have a good imagination, the power just going out all over, and guns not working is just a bit over the top.  Not to mention it just looks

I think the show is supposed to take place 15 years after the power goes off.  So maybe they're trying to conserve ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Do your weapons run on batteries?. I think they just ran out of ammo. They are using black power firearms, much eassier to melt lead and make black power without electricity.

Maybe AMMO will become the worlds new currency...

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the show is supposed to take place 15 years after the power goes off.  So maybe they're trying to conserve ammunition.

Still yet, what the fuck did folks do before electricity....  I don't think Civil War era America looked like scenes from the show.  People would adapt to life without power, I mean some wouldn't survive, but some would...
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, the whole "The laws of physics and chemistry just stopped one day" thing is really too much. I could understand some sort of global blackout due to EMP from solar flares or something but even that wouldn't affect hardened systems, plus, no electricity?  Electricity is about as easy to make as fire is... it's magnets and copper wire.

And then the "guns don't work thing" the fact that they concocted some global catastrophe that rendered a basic chemical reaction impossible (Except for in muskets, as was pointed out) which didn't also seem to affect ANY OTHER chemical reaction at all? sigh...

That being said, all you ammo hoarders are gonna be in for a surprise when this really happens! Start stocking up on pyrodex!
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still yet, what the fuck did folks do before electricity....  I don't think Civil War era America looked like scenes from the show.  People would adapt to life without power, I mean some wouldn't survive, but some would...

The internet is down, and no one knows how to do research without it any more?  Kids these days.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Looks horrible.

John
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The clothes thing got me.  They all look like the goth kids with brand new clothes on.  At least in Falling Skies, they have the same shitty looking clothes on all the time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I love how in 15 yrs they've all had time to become Ninja Sword Masters...in addition to the time spent taking care of daily necessities!
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#25]
meh, J.J. Abrams

First he fucked up the world of Star Trek now this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looked OK for the first minute or so, then the women and men showed up looking like they just returned from a 5th avenue shopping mall complete with designer clothes, neatly trimmed hair and fresh makeup. What's with all the compound bows and arrows being sported about? Must be the new cool factor in Hollywierd nowdays.

NAD

Bow and arrows are the new sort of PC weapon due to the popularity of the Hunger Games books/movie as the main character used them.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#27]
If it was just one thing or two even it might be different.

Ninja skills
Nobody has figured how to make electricity
chemical reaction for BP works fine, but the same thing doesn't because it's smokeless.
New clothes
nice hair.

Supposedly 15 years later, and the factions are still small rather than larger, more powerful ones. After 15 years most loners will have died out or been killed. Most small groups could not sustain themselves or control enough area to farm for produce. Larger groups would have already taken any land they were holding, or they would have joined the larger forces for protection.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Why do people watch this nonsense?

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#29]
The "O" in the titles shown as a power button should have the red rings on death on it, like my Xbox...

I'm also very confused about the notion that guns don't work.  My guess is that they work it into the plot because they don't want to scare the masses  in a prime-time show by having every character with an evil "assault rifle."  Falling Skies gets away with it on cable, but I don't think that showing 12 year olds running around with AKs on the major networks would fly.  Even in the Law and Order, CSI, and other type shows on network TV, they really downplay the use of firearms...

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah, the whole "The laws of physics and chemistry just stopped one day" thing is really too much. I could understand some sort of global blackout due to EMP from solar flares or something but even that wouldn't affect hardened systems, plus, no electricity?  Electricity is about as easy to make as fire is... it's magnets and copper wire.

And then the "guns don't work thing" the fact that they concocted some global catastrophe that rendered a basic chemical reaction impossible (Except for in muskets, as was pointed out) which didn't also seem to affect ANY OTHER chemical reaction at all? sigh...

Yep.

There's science fiction (which has at least some elements of believability in it) - and then there's fantasy.

This show is fantasy.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#31]
It won't last 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why do people watch this nonsense?

To fill the time. It's entertainment. Escape. Fantasy. Most people do not love their work, and have to do it too often, and they might welcome the distraction. Few people are lucky enough to love their work to the extent that they need no such distraction.

Could TV networks even exist without this? With the breakdown of the traditional nuclear family escapism such as this substitutes where instruction would otherwise govern.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Dupe #87

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks craptacular.

This.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I guess I'll watch it.  If shows like this dont' get any viewers, they'll stop making them all together and give us another reality dating show.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That being said, all you ammo hoarders are gonna be in for a surprise when this really happens! Start stocking up on pyrodex!

If this is being done in the fashion of Dies the Fire, at least SM Striling went to great lengths to explain the what stopped working down to a basic physics level.   Following Stirlings thought process, gun powder would sitll burn, but at a much reduced rate, so with a little creative license, primative black powder weapons would still work.  Its hard to explain if you haven't actually read dies the fire and the first few sequels.  Not even remotely possible, but I rather enjoy science fiction.  Call me crazy, but I even liked Terra Nova, which isn't coming back, so maybe this show can take the place of Terra Nova on my DVR.  
Realistic?  Nope, but realistic isn't what I look for in prime time TV.  Since AMC fucked themselves out of being offered on Dish, I won't have walking dead to watch either, so I am going to take what I can get.  Gotta have something to offer up as a counter to all the crap shows the wife watches.

Quoted:
If it was just one thing or two even it might be different.

Ninja skills
Nobody has figured how to make electricity
chemical reaction for BP works fine, but the same thing doesn't because it's smokeless.
New clothes
nice hair.

Supposedly 15 years later, and the factions are still small rather than larger, more powerful ones. After 15 years most loners will have died out or been killed. Most small groups could not sustain themselves or control enough area to farm for produce. Larger groups would have already taken any land they were holding, or they would have joined the larger forces for protection.

As for the Ninja skills, people still do that sort of stuff for fun.  There is a fencing academy right down the street from my office, they offer rapier, foil, epee, saber and hack/slash.  I took sword and staff weapons classes in Aikido the owner of the dojo could hold off five or six of his best students with a either a Jo or a Bokken. They offer sword, knife and staff at the place where my son took TKD.  I deployed with a guy who was so fucking good at eskrima that he could use rattan sticks to disarm 2-4 people drawing weapons around him before they could get a shot off.  That same guy had a crazy obsession with edged weapons and could do shit you wouldn't believe with knives similar to This one

There are archery classes all over the place. though my son is too young for classes he has his own bow and as a sub-6 year old he his already into archery and can hit the eucalyptus branch he is aiming at from 10-15 yards.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A Samurai warrior or Kendo master would rule the world.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

This.  I can set aside reality for good TV, but when you just butcher the laws of physics and chemistry in really absurd ways you sort of lose me.  I'll probably watch a couple of episodes anyway.   But I'm not holding out hope for good TV here.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#40]
In the Revolution series, ALL forms of "energy" stop working, I believe the cause will be "supernatural".
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#41]
looked lame to me like a mix of BOOK OF ELI and a rip off of LIGHTS OUT.  My guess is it will be like Falling Skies I will want to like it but the writing will be so terrible you just cant.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In the Revolution series, ALL forms of "energy" stop working, I believe the cause will be "supernatural".

Do you have a source for this other than your own misunderstanding of what energy is?
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#43]
It's entertainment.  The imagery looks cool and that chick is hot.  I'll give it a chance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, if folks are determined to watch these commie leftwing brainwashing shows of the Sheeple, I'd suggest at least boycotting the advertisers who sponser these programs that condition the public to hate gunz, preps, etc and believe in nonsense like EMP blowing out all cars, gunpowder that doesn't work and all the other mindless crap that simply makes it easier for the left to steal our country in the next 10 years or so.

What's the old saying, "you get what you patronize" or sompin like that?

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a source for this other than your own misunderstanding of what energy is?

I think that's what the quotes were for, along with the explanation of it being supernatural.

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#46]
I watch television to be entertained.  If it's entertaining I'll watch.  If not, I won't.  Why get worked up about it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's what the quotes were for, along with the explanation of it being supernatural.  

the wording of it made it seem like it was copied from somewhere.  "In the Revolution series..."  Strange way to start a casual sentance.  seemed sort of formal? official?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#48]
For what it's worth, the pilot's been released:  Revolution: The Pilot Episode
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, the pilot's been released:  Revolution: The Pilot Episode

Thanks!

I watched the pilot and was actually pleasantly surprised. Sure there are lots of detail holes, but overall it was entertaining, and it leaves one wondering what next wek will bring... which is what it's supposed to do.

Firearms still work, they are just rare and are restricted by the local powers-that-be. It seems like there is a human answer to why the lights went out, and a pending solution (not something alien).

This one has a Jericho feel to it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top