Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2011 5:41:06 PM EDT
Well gang I'm currently at the ARRL Rocky Mountain Division Convention and Hamfest in Taos, NM. Earlier this afternoon took my Extra exam and PASSED!!! Now the wait begins, yes I asked for a new call, so in a week or so I should have that!
Bowman 1 the ARRL study guide you sent me did help and has already been passed on to a husband and wife team, friends of mine, so they can up-grade. My Gordon West study guide is going to my son!
73's everyone
Sarge KE5.../AE one VERY happy ham!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
CONGRATS!!!

the past few weeks with all these dxpeditions only talking on the extra parts of the band have made me start to itch for an upgrade, already

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats SargeRN!  
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
What BigDaddy said!!!

Congrats!

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Way to go!!  Congratulations.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Did you ask for a sequential 2x2 call?

I'm contemplating that when I test for extra.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Life is very good as an Extra. Congrats and good DX!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#7]
(Takes SargeRN to the side)

"Sarge, have you considered becoming a VE?"

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
(Takes SargeRN to the side)

"Sarge, have you considered becoming a VE?"

What this guy said.  

I heard W1AW/5 broadcasting from there yesterday.  

Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
OK THANKS EVERYONE.Yes I will become a VE for 2 reasons. First I told myself I would when I got my Extra and 2nd most of our local VE's will be SK sooner rather than later, so....
I did request the next systematic sequential call. Figure I might accidently get a good one and if not opens WAY more options for a vanity!
I'm still on a high about passing!!
Yep W1AW/5 was working from the Convention on HF as well sa 2m. Really didn't get to go to the Forums, was helping a bud with his tailgate stuff, studying, PASSING then just wondered the vendors and working on my "presense" with TPTB!
Guys THANKS so much for this very forum for rekindling my desire to become a ham, helping one and all that want to become hams and then continuing to help as we grow in this hobby!
73's gang and remember what YOU felt like when you passed your Tech test! Believe me the feeling DOES NOT CHANGE!!
Sarge
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats Sarge!   I remember being pretty jazzed when I passed my Extra and I hadn't even planned on taking it.   I got a really great sequential AE5 call when we moved down here a year ago so ya never know.   AE is the best 2X2 prefix IMO and they might still be in that range I'm not sure.

I assume you saw Rich up at Taos.   Did he go for the Extra too or just buy another bunch of stuff?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sarge KE5.../AE

congrats –– your name has been added to the access list for the ARFCOM "Extra's Only" Ham Radio Forum!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
ar-jedi..... It has ALWAYS been your fault
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

all i see in this thread is a license upgrade.  
nothing expensive or black or green or orange was purchased.  
if you are going to go around blaming people you should at least do so for the right reasons.

yours cordially,
ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats, I need to get off my ass and do the same.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Congradulations on your Extra light.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

all i see in this thread is a license upgrade.  
nothing expensive or black or green or orange was purchased.  
if you are going to go around blaming people you should at least do so for the right reasons.

yours cordially,
ar-jedi

He bought the book.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Congratulations, Sarge /AE! Glad the study guide got put to good use and passed on.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Congrats and welcome to the club. Here in 4 land the 2X2 are AK4__.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
!@#$%^&*(  forgot how long the wait for the posting can be! I just want to see what call they give me!!! !@#$%^&* gob'mint!
Yeah I know PATIENCE it's only been 4 business days!  
Sarge
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
!@#$%^&*(  forgot how long the wait for the posting can be! I just want to see what call they give me!!! !@#$%^&* gob'mint!
Yeah I know PATIENCE it's only been 4 business days!  
Sarge

the FCC office staff has been cut way back due to US Govt budget shortfalls.  
current lead time on upgrades from General to Extra is 8-10 weeks.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
You BEST be pulling my....COAX!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Contratulations!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You BEST be pulling my....COAX!

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Congrats Sarge!   I remember being pretty jazzed when I passed my Extra and I hadn't even planned on taking it.   I got a really great sequential AE5 call when we moved down here a year ago so ya never know.   AE is the best 2X2 prefix IMO and they might still be in that range I'm not sure.

I assume you saw Rich up at Taos.   Did he go for the Extra too or just buy another bunch of stuff?

Actually we sort of played follow the leader going up. No he and Rose said they weren't ready, so since passing I've been politely bugging the snot out of them to up-grade! They got the ARRL Extra Manual Bowman1 sent me and my son, who you also met out at the "ranch" and is a General, got my Gordon West Extra Manual. So hopefully Area 51 South will have at least 3 more new Extras in the next few months!
73's
Sarge KE5.../AE

WELL the new call was posted about 30 minutes ago! AE5(zed)(juliet) not to bad I'll see how it "talks" and decide if vanity is what I want to do or not!!
Sarge
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top