Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 6/9/2018 11:44:03 PM EDT
I just acquired a 2017 Redwood 340 fifth wheel (36' 8" 13,400 lbs dry weight) that is in a trailer park in the mountains. I plan to probably keep it there, but I may occasionally want to travel around with it. I have two trucks, but the only one that might tow it is a 2005 Chevrolet 2500 diesel 4x4 that I plan to add an airbag suspension to the frame. What is everyone's opinion on pulling that trailer with that truck?

best pic I have of it at the moment.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 2:30:20 AM EDT
Is it within the tow rating of the truck? I would think so since it's a diesel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:22:36 AM EDT
I'd definitely recommend an auxiliary transmission cooler for tugging that beast.

It is not just the considerable weight, but the air resistance at highway speed too.

Check with your dealership service department with your VIN and they can give you the tow specification (weight limits & such) on your build.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:07:43 AM EDT
Nope. Not according to my 2006 manual. 12k towing with an asterisk stating 13,200 for fifth wheel or gooseneck. So you're overweight before hopping in the drivers seat.

Looks like even a 3500 would be questionable depending on cab size and srw or drw.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:36:30 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boostinjdm:
Nope. Not according to my 2006 manual. 12k towing with an asterisk stating 13,200 for fifth wheel or gooseneck. So you're overweight before hopping in the drivers seat.

Looks like even a 3500 would be questionable depending on cab size and srw or drw.
View Quote
Will the addition of airbags on the rear suspension not make a difference? Seems to me it would. I'd hate to have to buy a new truck right now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:14:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2018 10:16:28 AM EDT by ColtRifle]
I didn't know the tow capacity of the Duramax was that low.

The F150 with V6 Ecoboost has almost the same tow rating as the OP's diesel. Less MPG towing though I bet.

Looks like a new Duramax 2500 would do it just barely and the 3500 would handle it easily.

Sorry OP. Looks like you need a new truck!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:32:39 AM EDT
Regardless of the truck, if you take the trailer on the road, change tires first. People tend to look at tread depth, but trailer tires rot out from sitting.

All it takes is seeing what a single blowout can do to the trailer and you'll want to replace tires on a calendar schedule if you use it on the road. And, that's just the damage to the trailer, much less the trouble of where it happens, the inconvenience that could have been avoided and the potential damage to other vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:43:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
Will the addition of airbags on the rear suspension not make a difference? Seems to me it would. I'd hate to have to buy a new truck right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
Originally Posted By Boostinjdm:

Airbags don't really affect the weight towed behind the vehicle, only the weight of cargo in the bed.

Your problem is moving all that weight and extra air resistance puts a huge strain on the drivetrain. At very best you are towing at absolute max or beyond. Not a recipe for a long and healthy life for your truck...
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:34:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2018 11:43:54 AM EDT by EagleArmsHBAR]
My plan was to put new Michelin tires on the truck that have the highest weight rating possible and will fit on the factory wheels. I'm also planning on adding the Firestone airbags. The trailer already has great tires on it with heavy load rating. If it would be at max rating, then I suppose it won't be a good idea to travel the country with this truck/trailer combo, but I would hope that it would be strong enough to move the trailer should there be a forest fire or some other emergency situation. Thoughts on using the setup as an emergency setup?

My other truck is a 2016 F150 with 3.5L eco twin turbo that has the towing package. It doesn't have a 5th wheel setup and I can't imagine that it would pull the trailer better than the Chevy diesel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:42:50 AM EDT
I’m sure it would suffice in an emergency situation. Your problem would probably be hiway speeds and stopping.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:59:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2018 12:03:13 PM EDT by Seabee_Mech]
You need to figure out what your loaded weight is. The dry weight is for an empty bare bones trailer. You'll find your gross weight is going to be much higher once you load it up with all your crap.

Ex: I have a 33' Tahoe Toy Hauler, 9,200 lbs dry weight per the manufacturer. Once loaded with 2 bikes, fuel for the generator, fresh water holding tank full, groceries, clothes, propane, grill, camping chairs and all the other trash you bring along camping the trailer gross weight is about 13,500 lbs. I tow it with a 2003 Dodge CTD with a 5 speed manual, 100 hp tuner and bags, I'm about maxed out with this truck and really wouldn't want to go much heavier.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:53:04 PM EDT
3/4 ton diesels aren’t exactly capable of hauling very heavy load LEGALLY. That truck with good tires and a good brake controlller would handle the trailer decently, but not legally. Keep your speeds reasonable, keep an eye on your temps, and don’t push it. You’ll be ok moving from place to place, but I wouldn’t attempt any interstate travel.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:23:25 AM EDT
Upgrade your cooling system. If you don't, please post pictures.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:26:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2018 12:28:15 AM EDT by wildearp]
Originally Posted By TX03RUBI:
3/4 ton diesels aren't exactly capable of hauling very heavy load LEGALLY. That truck with good tires and a good brake controlller would handle the trailer decently, but not legally. Keep your speeds reasonable, keep an eye on your temps, and don't push it. You'll be ok moving from place to place, but I wouldn't attempt any interstate travel.
View Quote
The 2017 and 2018 diesel 3/4 ton RAM trucks can easily pull that load legally and without working up a sweat.

Good brake controllers cost $50.

80mph on the interstate with the cruise control on would remove your panties in short order.
Top Top