Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2008 10:23:21 PM EDT
Can anyone provide a source for this years rut in Virginia? It's usually in the middle of November. I just need to confirm so I can request a couple days off during the rut. Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I rut 24/7 365.

As for deer hunting:

I always saw more activity around the first of Nov. when the first does went into estrous. You may too if your buck to doe ratio is out of proportion. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It all depends on your location and the local conditions. I've seen rut start in the third week of October in central Oklahoma. Also as late as mid November.
It also depends on the local does and when they start the secretions that get the bucks going.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The way the deer have been acting where I hunt in Northern VA, I'd say it's coming a bit earlier this year...take the first week of muzzleloader off and go after them
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#4]
In ohio Nov 1-15 generally see the most rutting activity.  Pre rut middle october, depending on weather.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In ohio Nov 1-15 generally see the most rutting activity.  Pre rut middle october, depending on weather.

I agree. The last couple years I have seen the bucks start cruising between 11/1 - 11/14.  I don't think you'll go wrong taking time anywhere during those 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
To tell if the bucks are in rut, sit down by a tree near a trail and masturbate until you ejaculate.
If a buck in rut smells it, he will come charging in ready to fight and you will have an easy kill.
If not, you still had a good time!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
To tell if the bucks are in rut, sit down by a tree near a trail and masturbate until you ejaculate.
If a buck in rut smells it, he will come charging in ready to fight and you will have an easy kill.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I  spit my beer out my nose, Thanks!Now I feel

ETA on the rut:  My prediction is that it WILL HAPPEN.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I  spit my beer out my nose, Thanks!Now I feel

ETA on the rut:  My prediction is that it WILL HAPPEN.

I know a lot of guys here can't wait until they get into the woods to try that trick!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
my guess early nov like last year.  i'm going to take these days off work 3 (mon), 7 (fri), 10 (mon) and 14 (fri) off and of course hit it hard those saturdays too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Ours always starts after Christmas, and before newyears.

Gotta love south Texas
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#13]
My son is in a stand overlooking this feeder this morning:

He texted me that bucks are all over chasing does and is watching a big one hoping he will get within  bow range.
It seems rut is almost here in central Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Charles Alsheimer in his book (I was flipping through at bass pro while the old lady got her hair done) claims that the second full moon after the autumnal equinox is the trigger for rutting activity.  Best activity is from a few days before to a few days after.  This year the full moon is the 13th and he claims best activity is from Nov 9 - 19.  This is supposedly for places > 40th parallel or so, N. IL, Wisconsin, Upstate NY etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top