Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 2:03:35 PM EDT
I did a search for threads pertaining to gardening and came up short. What do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The best book I've read and I've been following for a year now with excellent results is "The new square foot gardening method" by Mel Bartholemew.   I live in town with a small backyard and I built a bed following his technique along the south side of my house 2 feet wide and probably 30 feet long and I get tons of produce from it. You can find it at half price books sometimes. Definitely get the new one not the old one. He learned some ways to reduce cost and materials used between the two. Good luck and have fun with your garden.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagged for info.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The best book I've read and I've been following for a year now with excellent results is "The new square foot gardening method" by Mel Bartholemew.   I live in town with a small backyard and I built a bed following his technique along the south side of my house 2 feet wide and probably 30 feet long and I get tons of produce from it. You can find it at half price books sometimes. Definitely get the new one not the old one. He learned some ways to reduce cost and materials used between the two. Good luck and have fun with your garden.

+1

Dollar General has a B&W version for around $6.

This is best way to start for beginners.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did a search for threads pertaining to gardening and came up short. What do you guys recommend?

Purdue Extension Service, already paid for w/ your tax dollars...

-Slice

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Slice

Sorry, but that's more for farmer's than home gardeners.

Just like most Extension Services are.

Mel's book is what you really need to get started.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Dollar General has a B&W version for around $6.

This is best way to start for beginners.

This is another book along the intensive gardening theme. I used it to grow a ton of food in a relatively small space (three 3' x 40' beds, a 3' x 40' bed and an asparagus bed.)

Rodale press has numerous books on gardening. I used one that was based on square foot, "double dug" gardening, emphasizing deep soil preparation and keeping off the growing spaces as much as possible. I don't remember the exact title, I'll try to remember and edit this post later. It was very helpful. My current yard doesn't have adequate sunlight to garden, except for some container grown tomatoes.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
gardenweb.com is a good resource.

Don't forget a few fruit trees.  Lee Reichs' 'Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden' is good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Slice

Sorry, but that's more for farmer's than home gardeners.

Just like most Extension Services are.

Mel's book is what you really need to get started.

Did you go through and look at the stuff?  There's literally tons of stuff on home gardening –– enough that we've printed many of them and put into a 3-ring binder for reference.  I mean, spend your $ however you like, but if you didn't find the gardening stuff then you didn't look too hard.  Scroll down the page and look for "vegetables"...  

-Slice

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Gee, alright already!

99% of the stuff there is for farmers!

Happy?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The gardening section at this site:
Survival book downloads
Has a ton of good info.  They're downloadable as PDF's.  Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia of Country Living" isn't a bad one to start with.  Everything you need to know about gardening, and other good info too (canning, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, don't neglect the "Food & Gardening" section here. Its only 2 places below where you clicked "Survival Discussion" to get into this section.

I also agree with homeslice about Purdue. They're a great resource. If you weren't aware, there are a LOT of produce growers in this region and purdue caters to produce growing as well. It may be more targeted toward commercial production, but there is still a lot of good information that can't be overlooked there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

why my good man, your error was doing a search for threads....

we here have a whole FORUM devoted to gardening!  Which raises eyebrows about your search fu, might I add....

edit: just read all the replies, no one mentioned the gardening forum?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I would highly recommend "THE JOY OF GARDENING" by Dick Raymond. That's what got me started.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, my search fu is weak . Thanks for all of the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top