Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 9:09:16 AM EDT
I need a new handlamp with the following specs: uses CR123A batteries, waterproof (I keep ruining headlamps in the ocean) and with a red light filter option.

And hopefully $30 or less.

What do ya'll suggest?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a chinese knockoff on dealextreme.  You won't find a quality cr123 light for that price, maybe an ok one for that price point if it ran on AAA or AA, but not cr123.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Zebralight

But not for $30
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I need a new handlamp with the following specs: uses CR123A batteries, waterproof (I keep ruining headlamps in the ocean) and with a red light filter option.

What do ya'll suggest?
View Quote

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-Indestructible-3AAA-100-Lumen-Headlight-DIYHPHL-B/202968174

I have one, has been used weekly and carried in my EDC pack for almost two years now.  Hi-Low-Off.  Simple one button operation with a button that is not easily depressed while in a pack or pocket.  Its bright but not two bright and won't break the bank.  Top strap allows you to keep the head band loose but secure.  Not top of the line but a good solid option for every day use.

ETA/ make sure you get the one at home depot because the ones at wally world are not the same.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
For CR123's you are going to pay a little more.

You can get the Princeton Tec Remix Pro for $50.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Going with this, based on OP's specs.  Opening-up battery options would widen options considerably.

RCR123s are not easily re-chargeable in the field, as are NiMh AAs or AAAs.  

If OP is using the headlight underwater, then a high-output, purpose-designed underwater light would be more useful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zebralight

But not for $30

Going with this, based on OP's specs.  Opening-up battery options would widen options considerably.

RCR123s are not easily re-chargeable in the field, as are NiMh AAs or AAAs.  

If OP is using the headlight underwater, then a high-output, purpose-designed underwater light would be more useful.

Most of the Xtar and even NiteCore li-ion chargers are 12v input capable, so with a 12v SLA/AGM mother battery, or a basic '12v solar charger,' we're golden.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
OP if you're looking for waterproof (but not underwater I believe) check out the Black Diamond Storm.  If you can find them on sale, they should be $35ish for 2013 closeouts; regular price $50 for 2014's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#8]
You're not gonna find anything truly waterproof on the normal consumer market. If you really need waterproof you'll need something dive rated. None of that is cheap. You still need to fresh water rinse it.

Example. Fox Fury
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at www.batteryjunction.com

Whole bunch of lights at good prices.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Why does it need to be that brand battery specifically?  I've ordered and use a bunch of different lights for hiking through REI.  They range from 30 to 50.  If you buy direct from China it's hit or miss.  I bought some for my roadbike and they're going out after only 18 months...

Also how deep are you going into the ocean?  There are varying levels of ingress protection from IP69, IP69 or how deep does it need to be able to go?

If you need something for diving you'll never find something below $30.00.

Sort of related, I saw a giveaway for Truck LED Lights that you could use as well.  But they're 12 volt and for automobiles.

https://www.facebook.com/Wurtonlighting/photos/a.123404514432379.19253.117011818404982/635271306579028/?type=1&theater
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What do ya'll suggest?
View Quote

Bought a Princeton Tec FRED.  It's water resistant, but they say if it gets wet to just dry it out and it'll keeping working.  And if it gets salt water in it to just flush with clean water and let it dry out.

5 year warranty.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of the backpack type headlamps will work fine in the rain without being waterproof.  If they get dunked just open them up, dump and dry over the heater vent.

OP is requesting 123 batteries and salt water proof.  These are pretty hard to do for $30

OP will need some kind of more expensive dive light.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]
A little over double your preferred price, but I think the Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II might fight your desires.
It'll run on AAs as well.  I haven't water tested mine, but it looks fairly water-resistant.  It is a little bulky compared to your average Petzl.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Zebralight

View Quote

But not for $30
This. Since the zebralights have a very dim low mode I have never noticed needing a red filter. I have had two of there AA versions and both have been excellent lights. Very bright for how the battery type and how compact they are.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top