Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/9/2011 3:56:36 PM EST
I have a 6 month old BMC pup I'm trying to train for hog hunting. He bays a small hog I have and will catch him if given the opportunity. Will run for hours around and around the pig's pen.

I took him out to the lease today and he winded some hogs in a cutover and took off after them. I caught up and the hogs were just in front of him, but they were 200lb + sized hogs. We were within 20 yards and he never barked and acted unsure of himself. I called him off as I didn't have a vest or collar on him and it was nearly dark with no flashlight.

Is the lack of agression normal for a 6 month old puppy on his first woods hog? I am glad he didn't run in to close because of the situation, but on the other hand I would expect some baying and aggression besides growling and raised hackles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:15:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/9/2011 4:16:55 PM EST by DanimalFL]
yes in my opinion he is still young. You gotta let him run with some older dogs.

A lot of dogs lose bravery when they find themselves alone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:25:06 PM EST
He needs a pack! My dad goes out with 5 to 6 dogs .my dad been breeding dogs for decades .there mutts mixed with lab,pit,abd,and fox type terrier. Build up a pack.get the dogs young , raise them together. Be safe and have fun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:59:45 PM EST
He is young and should run with other dogs that hunt well.Im not saying someday he couldnt grab pigs by himself but more dogs keep the pig distracted.Keep in mind pigs are smarter than dogs and will gut an immature dog real fast!Bring some Superglue for cuts and invest in a vest for your dog.Nothing like hog hunting with dogs.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:43:01 PM EST
Super glue is ok but you can get a staple gun on eBay at some of the hog dog supply stores there are a few on eBay.there are some place thart will train your dog for two weeks. I saw one place that charged I think 500 bucks for two week training.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:37:13 PM EST
In my experience that happens alot. Give him time, and run him with older dogs with a good sense on how to not get hurt. NOT A EXPERT BTW
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:57:39 AM EST
Not a hog dog expert, but I've done a fair bit of work with dogs.

6 month old dog is comparable to a 10-12 year old kid. How sure of yourself were you at age 10?

I think your dogs behavior was completely normal, he was following his instincts but wasn't quite sure what to do when he caught up with the hog because the pack had not taught him yet. Problem with letting a young dog like that run by himself on hogs is if he gets hurt he will develop a fear of the hogs and may run away from them instead of after them. Same way as a young pup being introduced suddenly to a loud gun shot and becoming gun shy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:04:12 PM EST
Well, I took Travis and my fiest out again. Left the beagle pup at home. After about a 3 mile walk, they winded a hog and started chasing it through a pine thicket. After about a 100 yards or so, they came back to me. I couldn't keep up because of the briar infestation. Couldn't tell how many pigs there were, but from the tracks in the rooting area, probably only around 100 lbs or smaller.

A guy I work with has a BMC/Catahoula mix puppy he is looking to get rid of, so the pack is growing.
Top Top