Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2009 5:35:09 PM EDT
Trying to convince the wife that lamb is really good. So she said okay, make me some.

Great, I don't know of a good way to cook 'em. So give em up if you have a kick a$$ recipe to dig me out of my hole.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb Recipe
4 Servings
Ingredients

2 Racks of Lamb

1 cup finely chopped parsley

1 onion, chopped

1 teaspoon dill weed, dried

¼ cup dry bread crumbs

½ teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground pepper

Preparation
Preheat oven to 425°F.

Combine all ingredients, except lamb. Mix well.

Remove excess fat from rack and pat mixture on outside of racks.

Place in shallow roasting pan on a rack and roast for 30 minutes for medium rare.

or

1 large garlic clove
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese
1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons herbes de Provence*
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1 1/2-pound rack of lamb, trimmed

Preparation

Mince garlic in processor. Add next 5 ingredients. Using on/off turns, process just until basil is finely chopped. Drizzle oil over. Process until mixture is blended. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)

Preheat oven to 425°F. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Arrange, bone side down, on small rimmed baking sheet. Press breadcrumb mixture onto lamb, coating completely. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into center of lamb registers 135°F for medium-rare, about 30 minutes. Let lamb rest 15 minutes.

Transfer lamb to cutting board. Cut between bones into individual or double chops. Divide between 2 plates; serve.

*A dried herb mixture available at specialty foods stores and some supermarkets  or using dried herbs make your own. Bay leaf, thyme, fennel, rosemary, chervil, oregano, summer savory, tarragon, mint, and marjoram are some of the herbs typically used. Orange zest is sometimes included.

or

Ingredients

1/8 C fresh parsley
1/8 C fresh oregano  
1/8 C fresh rosemary  
1/8 C fresh thyme
1/2 C fresh breadcrumbs  
1 1/2 T garlic, minced  
1/4 C + 2 T olive oil  
1 T Dijon mustard  
salt & pepper to taste  

1 rack of lamb (about 2-2 ½ lbs.)

Sauce:
2 med. shallots
1 cup dry red wine
2-1/2 teas. minced rosemary leaves
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
salt and ground black pepper

Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 450° F. In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients, except mustard and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and process until well mixed, but still slightly crumbly. Don't turn it to mush. Set aside.  

In a large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until just below smoking. Season lamb rack with salt and pepper and quickly brown by cooking for about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove lamb from skillet and place in an oiled roasting pan.

Carefully brush mustard over the section just over the top, underside and sides of chops, leaving bones exposed. Gently pat the herb/breadcrumb mixture over the mustard. Cook 10-12 min. or an internal temp 135 for med. rare. Let rest 10 min., slice.

Sauce: Pour off all but 2tbsp of from skillet. Saute shallots until soft. Add red wine and rosemary. Increase heat, simmer until syrupy. Add broth, reduce until about 3/4 cup. S & P, add butter.

chef
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the recipes, Chef. I'll report back on her response to my cooking in a few days time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I don't think that Lamb needs anything other than salt, pepper and a rub of peanut oil.

1. Set oven to 425 and bring a cast iron pan to smoking.
2. Rub rack with peanut oil and apply kosher salt & pepper liberally.
3. Brown rack in CI pan on all sides for 1 minute each side.
4. Place in oven until center of lamb rack reaches 130 degrees.
5. Remove from pan and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Cut rack so that each piece rack gets two ribs of meat.

Serve with rosted rosemary potatoes or mashed potatoes and pan drippings gravy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top