Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/2/2015 1:32:51 PM EDT
Details here: http://www.navassadx.com/

This wlll be a good QRP goal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:54:24 PM EDT
They are on 15M right now, and it is a complete cluster with all of the DX chasers.  I think I'll wait until later in the DXpedition.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:59:13 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

It's funny.  It's really not very far away so I surprised there aren't more Dxpeditions.  

Once (if) I get them with all 100 of my watts, I might switch to the K2, just for the fun of it.  I seem to have a pretty good signal down into the Caribbean, so it is a realistic possibility.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:10:29 PM EDT
Should be fairly easy to work them once the rush dies down. I read Navassa Island has no beaches. It's surrounded by cliffs & rough terrain on all sides.  They used a chopper to transport all the gear. That is probably one reason why there haven't been many DXpeditions.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:42:25 PM EDT
Too many lids on the air right now.  

I turned the rig off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:11:34 PM EDT
Here is the good news.  While everyone else is chasing, K1N,  I managed to bag S01WS on 12m CW.

He is very lonely.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:45:31 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is the good news.  While everyone else is chasing, K1N,  I managed to bag S01WS on 12m CW.

He is very lonely.
View Quote

I did the same on 10 cw..

I think the rarity of Navassa is due to USFWS not allowing access to the island.  I read it would be at least ten years before they would allow another dxpedition.

But yea, the lids are out in full force
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:32:54 PM EDT
This would be a good one to take a shot at in the wee hours of the morning. Go to be early, get up around 2 AM, try for an hour or so, then back to bed.

(Being an old fart, it's the wee-wee hours for me.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:46:19 PM EDT
There's a lot of deliberate QRM already.

It sucks. I wish we could find out who keeps doing this shit.

Probably North Korea or someone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:54:36 PM EDT
I've been chasing them on 30M most of the night and I feel like I'm cheating using CWX on the Flex 5000 even though it's still really hard and I wasn't making it through.  Just clicking mouse buttons and not touching the paddles.  I can usually figure out where he's listening off and on, but never made it through, and after I send my call he's already half way through replying to someone.  I had to up my sending speed to 27 WPM and really concentrate on where he's listening next.  Finally just got them on 30M.  It's brutal, yet still fun, but not as fun as distant DX.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:26:51 PM EDT
All I can say is WOW !  Yes, I spent all day chaseing them on 15m ssb and I think I got them.  They move up and down the band quickly and it was a challenge to find their listening frequency.  The pileup was about 30 kc, It seems like mid afternoon is a good time to work them.  Yes you can work them with 100 watts from here, I will definitely be in the pileups tomorrow.  I hope the pileups get smaller as time goes on.  This is a really good station so try your best to work them.  This is an all time new country for me.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:30:36 PM EDT
I'd like to get them, but I'm just not in the mood for fighting a pileup full of morons. Too many dopes calling or tuning up on top of the
K1N station.

I'm running out of patience for this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:15:14 PM EDT
Got them 100W 15m - 21.205 listening 10 and UP

ETA:  Using a hand me down ic7000 while my 7600 is down

Not knocking the ic7000, just not use to it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:11:53 PM EDT
Quoted:

It's funny.  It's really not very far away so I surprised there aren't more Dxpeditions.  

Once (if) I get them with all 100 of my watts, I might switch to the K2, just for the fun of it.  I seem to have a pretty good signal down into the Caribbean, so it is a realistic possibility.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a disputed territory and it's hard it get permission to go there. After this dxpeditiom, .gov won't let it happen again for 10'years
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:41:19 PM EDT
Just heard them on 21.295...... what a complete LID fest!
"up! up! up!"
"For the love of...."
"Stupid gringo! Shut the f*ckup!"
"QRZ? QRZ?"
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:11:27 PM EDT
Quoted:

It's a disputed territory and it's hard it get permission to go there. After this dxpeditiom, .gov won't let it happen again for 10'years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, it's also a rather costly operation. Their helicopter bill is $200,000 alone and another $93,000-$97,000 for transportation of the NFW police that need to accompany them.

The operators are putting up over $150,000 of their own money to make this happen.

I can't imagine the planning that went into this...
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:30:59 PM EDT
Most of the ops are experienced in these things.  It isn't their first rodeo.

Come join us on 80M, I just took this screen shot.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:49:33 PM EDT

Way too fast for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:23:04 PM EDT
Yeah, baby, just got them on 160!  

ETA:  And they have a good signal on 160, I only used my TX antenna to RX them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:58:36 PM EDT
The 80M wall of magenta grows thicker!  What are those guys way up higher doing?  He's not listening up there.  

ETA:  Right after I said that the op is working up to the top of the pile and starting back at the bottom again.  Very predictable but I can't bust through.

Sorry, I need to make another correction.  He started at the bottom of the pile again and I got him!  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:12:41 AM EDT
I hope they upload their logbook soon.

Maybe it will help calm down the feeding frenzy.  

I think posting the logbook helps keep down on the number of "insurance" contacts guys try to make just to make sure that they worked them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:24:45 AM EDT
I tried them on RTTY 30m last night for 30 minutes before they switched to EU stations only. Unreal the number of stations calling them. I said f#@k that!  

On voice,  so far they have stayed in the Extra portions of the bands.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:34:51 AM EDT
I busted through on 17 meters and heard my call clearly but I got a bad feeling on this one.

I am HOPING I made it into the log.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:27:10 PM EDT
So far, I have not had a very good signal on any band/mode.  But it doesn't really matter because it's been a total goat rope every time I've listened. On 15 meters CW just now, some jackass was calling CQ dx right on top of K1N.  Plus the typical bunch of Lids who don't know how to operate split.

If things don't calm down, I'll never get them, because I'm not interested in dealing with that type of a mess. I think I'll go back to the straight key for a while.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:02:32 PM EDT
Got them on 20m w/ 100W.

I just try a clear freq around where they are RXing and seems to work pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:23:38 PM EDT
What RX freq
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:26:29 PM EDT
Quoted:

If things don't calm down, I'll never get them, because I'm not interested in dealing with that type of a mess.
View Quote

This is the way I feel as well.  But, it could offer the opportunity to work other DXpeditions while everyone is preoccupied by K1N.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:30:24 PM EDT
Quoted:
What RX freq
View Quote

I think I worked him on 14246
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:11:46 PM EDT
They did post it on Clublog.

As I feared, I am not in it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:29:57 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What RX freq

they working split there? i am hearing a bunch of stuff but cant make anything out
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:47:19 PM EDT
Heard the pileup on 10m.  They are on 28.495 & listening up "5 to 520".  Pretty much a zoo from x.500 to x.525.   Never understood how anybody listening on the primary has any clue if the xmit freq is clear before they key the mike ... guessing they don't know (or care).

Nick
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:50:22 PM EDT
Quoted:
Heard the pileup on 10m.  They are on 28.495 & listening up "5 to 520".  Pretty much a zoo from x.500 to x.525.   Never understood how anybody listening on the primary has any clue if the xmit freq is clear before they key the mike ... guessing they don't know (or care).

Nick
View Quote

not to mention the Charlie Foxtrots calling him on 28.495
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:55:23 PM EDT
anyone hit the on a digital mode yet?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:38:04 PM EDT
Quoted:
They did post it on Clublog.

As I feared, I am not in it.
View Quote

None of mine are in the log either.  I'd give it a couple days before worrying.

ETA:  Last QSO in their log is of: 2015-02-03 16:31:45  I didn't work them till after that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:33:41 PM EDT

Two contacts are in the log.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:13:29 PM EDT
What a zoo. Some people should not have a license.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:26:47 PM EDT
Got him on 40 meters. 7.021.5   QSX = 7.026.15. Took me half hour. Good CW operator. Lots of lids who don't know what working split means.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:30:26 PM EDT
I feel like I have won the lottery, Yes I am in their log.  They have uploaded their partial log and it's online right now. Good luck, keep trying and I hope everyone can work them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:33:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:38:38 PM EDT
Just bagged them on phone at 14.155 they are split listening up at 14.245 USB.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:40:14 PM EDT
Where is my 160?

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:44:40 PM EDT
Quoted:
Where is my 160?

http://i.imgur.com/LLWrla6.jpg
View Quote

No one likes a show off.  

Nice job KwaiChangCaine!  Must be the antenna grease.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:50:18 PM EDT

So close tonight on 40 and some LID tunes up on us.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:53:16 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

Right now? Wow! You must have had a sporadic pipeline. I can't hear anything at all in SC.
I'm trying to work him on 3.523Mhz. Gotta wait though. He is calling EU right now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:54:47 PM EDT
Quoted:

Right now? Wow! You must have had a sporadic pipeline. I can't hear anything at all in SC.
I'm trying to work him on 3.523Mhz. Gotta wait though. He is calling EU right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can hear him pretty clearly. But he can't seem to hear me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:54:53 PM EDT
I just got them on 20M too.  Sometimes he fades out but usually a good S7 signal.

ETA:  Solid S9 now!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:11:19 AM EDT
Glad someone else was able to work them on 20m also.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:12:11 AM EDT
Quoted:
I just got them on 20M too.  Sometimes he fades out but usually a good S7 signal.

ETA:  Solid S9 now!
View Quote

Nothing here on 3 el Yagi. I mean zero, nada. Weird propagation. He is booming on 80m though. I'll get him tomorrow, no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:13:53 AM EDT
Quoted:

No one likes a show off.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where is my 160?

No one likes a show off.  

Just having fun here.  Lots of guys complaining on the spotting websites about contacts not in log after latest upload, so I suspect not all logs uploaded yet.  Let's hope my 160 is there or I'll have fun working them again there!  

ETA:  Hang in there Gyprat, sometimes he goes from nothing to S9, but I can usually always hear something here.   You're closer to them so it wouldn't be unusual to not hear him at all this time of the day.

I'm also starting to notice them mention a lot of dupes already.  They tell them they're already in the log and adding them again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:17:11 AM EDT
Quoted:

Just having fun here.  Lots of guys complaining on the spotting websites about contacts not in log after latest upload, so I suspect not all logs uploaded yet.  Let's hope my 160 is there or I'll have fun working them again there!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where is my 160?

No one likes a show off.  

i'm still trying to get one in. havent been able to break a phone pileu yet adn my CW isnt good enough (still  learning to receive) I wanna try RTTY but can never find them
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:12:22 AM EDT
I finally got him on 20m SSB.  I tried for about an hour tonight with no luck, lost propagation and I gave up.  I happened to tune back to him a couple hours later and I could hear him again. Took me another 45 minutes of calling and waiting through fading, but I worked him on 14.242.  My 80m doublet at 35 feet isn't a great DX antenna, bit with the amp it does ok.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.