Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 8:52:11 AM EDT
I live in rural WV.

I get my natural gas from two sources;

1)  A transmission line that crosses my property an is tied into hundreds of wells in the county i live in.

2) A well that is approx 250 yards from my house on my property.

Our house is on a hilltop that can't be seen from the one lane county road we live on.

So for all intents and purposes the well on my property is an endless supply of natural gas (high btu's as it hasn't been stripped).

Our house is new, well insulated and already wired for a generator.  I currently use a portable gasoline generator that is 8kw surge / 5kw.

I have no idea who manufactures a quality natural gas generator.

I would like a 10,000 watt natural gas generator, doesn't need to be automatic, emphasis is on quality not price.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, would love to have a natural gas well.  If I did, I would have a natural gas generator in an instant.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Look for older gasoline powered generators, and use a conversion kit.  Remember that running a gasoline generator on natural gas derates it - but yours has a higher BTU rating than normal, so I don't know what the derating factor is.

I have an old Onan 15.0JC generator that derates to about 12.0 KW on natural gas.  It's worth around 60A, which means I can run my whole house on it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Look for older gasoline powered generators, and use a conversion kit.  Remember that running a gasoline generator on natural gas derates it - but yours has a higher BTU rating than normal, so I don't know what the derating factor is.

I have an old Onan 15.0JC generator that derates to about 12.0 KW on natural gas.  It's worth around 60A, which means I can run my whole house on it.

This.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Look up your local generator service outfit, I bet the remove a number of 15 to 20 kW natural gas generators each year.  Something that size will run your whole house, and you can recover the heat from the radiator to pre-heat your hot water.

Ops
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I live in rural WV.
Our house is new, well insulated and already wired for a generator.  I currently use a portable gasoline generator that is 8kw surge / 5kw.  I have no idea who manufactures a quality natural gas generator.

I would like a 10,000 watt natural gas generator, doesn't need to be automatic, emphasis is on quality not price.

I'm a bit north of  you in PA and very pleased with my whole house Generac "QuietSource".

Winter Test Complete

Give some thought to automatic transfer.  If nothing else, you won't need to worry about pipes freezing if the power fails when you're away from the house in the winter.  And I'm jealous of the natural gas well on your property.  I'll soon have one taking gas from under my property, but the Marcellus well is physically located about a mile away.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure what you meant buy emphasis on quality.  If you meant not a Chinese knockoff then I would say Generac, Kolher, Winco, or Onan.  If you meant better than homeowner quality and more commercial/industrial grade I would look at Caterpillar/Olympian, Onan (Cummins motor), Detroit, John Deere, Kohler, or Winco.  

FWIW I own 4 Briggs, 2 Hondas, 3 Generacs, a Winco, a military surplus, a Kawasaki, and a Caterpillar generator.

Grove
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Kohler by far,Lowed had Kohler packages including ATS.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kohler by far,Lowed had Kohler packages including ATS.

Did you means "Lowes", as in the retail store?

If so, I'm gonna check that out since their is one located nearby me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#10]
costco has a ng / lp  generac with auto transfer switch normally in their stores but also online.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all for the answers.

I'll continue to study and post whatever I come up with.

And all i meant by "quality" was just that, what is a good solid 10,000 watt generator that can run reliably for months if needed.

I have worked on Cummins engines for side income since 1991 and have never given that a thought.

More food for thought, thanks.

In general though Generac is gtg?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I envy you for having a NG well on site. My whole house is NG but I have to buy it from my local utility co.

I got a great deal on a 12Kw Generac that runs on NG or propane from Home Depot about 6 years ago. It was a model that was being discontinued by Generac at the time and I got it for about 1/2 off complete with a transfer switch and free delivery.  I had read mixed reviews about Generac but figured it was worth a shot for the price.

My experience with it has been nothing but positive. In fact I consider it to be one of the best investments I've ever made.  It automatically starts itself and runs for 15 minutes once a week and will shut itself down if it gets low on oil and indicate as much. When the power goes out (usually during heavy storms) it will take over and kick on within 15 seconds and powers most of the house (and ALL essentials) back up.  2 years ago we lost power for over a week during a winter ice storm and it ran like a champ the whole time.

When I bought the gennie the salesman jokingly asked if I needed any barbed wire fencing and when I said "no, why do ask?"  He said because when the power goes out, you're going to want to keep your neighbors away from that thing.  And damned if he wasn't right.  We were charging neighbors electronics everyday and having them over for hot meals / hot showers and entertainment...TV/video games for the kids in the evenings and what not.  The rest of the neighborhood was dark.

In short we love our generac.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
costco has a ng / lp  generac with auto transfer switch normally in their stores but also online.

Ah! This is great news. I will have to check that out, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]
My vote is Kohler. I have an 18KW on LPG but it could run on NG with a different orifice. It kicks ass and is dependable. Just make sure you get a sealed battery for starting purposes. The open batteries corrode the shit out of everything around them. Optima batteries are good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top