Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2010 11:32:11 PM EDT
I read this forum everyday, and I' keep thinking about threats to me and mine.

I could last a power outtage for weeks, and have food and water to last 6 months or a year......I have the basics covered.

I got lots of guns and bullets and we all like to shoot, that's covered, even though I doubt we'd need to actually shoot anyone.

My garden is bigger than my house, and this years was an improvement over last.

I'm working on my financial situation, and it's getting better everyday.

Where I live is pretty quiet. A farming area with no real big population. Some migratory workers, but nothing to breed terrorism, so that's not likely. Not enough races for riots, and overall the people are just good people so I doubt looting would be much of a problem. Most folks would probably just go home to the family farm in an emergency.

The weather is tempered by my location, except for lake effect snow, but heavy snow and ice is more a way of life here and we don't really notice. A few good thunderstorms, but no tornadoes, flooding would be nearly impossible.

Some risk of forest fire, but not much.

Earthquakes are a no go.

No strategic military targets, just a small national guard base about 60 miles away.

The nearest nuclear power plant is a hundred miles away, on the other side of lake Michigan in Wisconsin, and the weather generally moves in a direction that I should be safe

Only one set of railroad tracks about half mile away, but they end about 4 miles up at a fruit processing plant.....all they carry is cherry and apple products a few times a year.

The plant itself has anhydrous ammonia, but I work around that stuff on a daily basis and know that what they have isn't a threat to me.

Are there any dangerous chemicals in an asphalt plant? Maybe something I could get a gas mask for?

I'm looking for something fun to be prepared for, but I can't find anything that's interesting

Life sure was more exciting in Metro Detroit

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:17:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By a_number_1:

Sounds like a good thing for it to be quiet. WishI could say the same thing here.

As for Asphalt plants I'm sure there are plenty of toxins in there although I'm not sure how fast any of them would go airbourne into a toxic gas cloud or in sufficient concentrationto cause damage. I'd be more worried about water and soil contamination.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:53:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Durango_USMC:
Originally Posted By a_number_1:

Sounds like a good thing for it to be quiet. WishI could say the same thing here.

As for Asphalt plants I'm sure there are plenty of toxins in there although I'm not sure how fast any of them would go airbourne into a toxic gas cloud or in sufficient concentrationto cause damage. I'd be more worried about water and soil contamination.

Eh, I guess it is.....just sucks that I can't buy any gear or gadgets, the kids want gas masks, but we haven't got much use I guess. I get to read about all kinds of neat stuff that I don't need.

Water contamination sounds fun, but the plant's 3 miles from the public wells, and 1 or 2 miles from my private wells, is that close enough I could get me a water filter? I got lots of lakes and streams to filter water from, but with access to so many wells, I never felt the need.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:48:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 1:48:35 AM EDT by Durango_USMC]
I'd get the water filter anyways better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. As for masks meh get em anyways, never hurt and the argument there would be well what if there's a pandemic blah blahblah or for use during travel. the day crew should have a few mote pointers than I do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:40:46 AM EDT
Petrochem has some bad stuff in it. H2s, so4 etc. Most of that will be stripped out by the time asphalt is made. Other than particulates I would not worry. Fire would be cause for a big release of particulates and those can be filtered with a standard paper resperator like you can get from home depot or lowes. If the plant has a "class 3" upset or fire the release will leave the plant property and the local news will broadcast a shelter in place. So you stay indoors. You can contact the plant and See what there SOP
on a class 3 release.
Top Top