Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2016 4:06:45 PM EDT
Anybody tried this? Thinking about doing this around the apple trees, perhaps the berries as well. Lay down some landscape fabric and then a few inches of pea gravel. Yes, weeds will start in the pea gravel, but eliminating them would be crazy easy.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Pea gravel sucks. Weeds wrap themselves around the stones and you wind up having to throw out a lot of stones with the weeds. The pea gravel also makes it extremely hard to plant/dig again in the future. I will never use pea gravel again personally.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If not pea gravel, say 3/4" clear? I have a gravel pit nearby
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a gravel driveway for 18 years... Last year it was replaced with a Concrete one... Upkeep on the gravel sucked big time.. Weeds loved it.. The weed Killer companies loved it too
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I think mulch is a terrible term for any sort of stone. Aside from a weed deterrent, most people use mulches that retain moisture. Pea gravel almost always does the opposite. Once the sun hits it, it will heat and all the moisture will evaporate. Will it kill what you planted? Probably not. However, it sure doesn't benefit your plant much.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I find the best mulch for around a tree is to let the grass /weeds grow and then spray round up.  Just do not cut or remove deep grass.
Only repeat when again it is all green and tall. Some trees I do a leaves mulch ring with brick border and some I do the round up method.
My oak trees are "mulched" with cast iron plants. Never use a weed eater around a tree.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6-You will probably wish you hadn't done it.
View Quote

^^^ this.

it seems like a good idea...

...until the stone is all mixed in with the topsoil, and you don't want it any more.

then, it's a giant pain in the ass.  

there is no way to separate out the topsoil and stone, and you end up digging it out and throwing it all (many tons of it) into a ditch.

just ask my neighbor.

besides, it is not an organic landscaping feature.  

where do you see in nature a tree surrounded by a circle of cosmetic stone?  you don't.  it doesn't happen that way.

summary: it looks like hell and is a pain in the ass to recover from -- sort of like a Judas Priest tattoo.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If not pea gravel, say 3/4" clear? I have a gravel pit nearby
View Quote

no, that will look worse.

just because it's convenient doesn't mean it's a good idea.

same for drunk barflies.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, back to wood chips then
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

you have options.

-- do nothing
-- cedar chips (last a long time, and are insect resistant)
-- triple shred hardwood mulch (don't "volcano" it up the tree trunk or i will come to your house and kick you in the nuts)
-- ^^^ as above, but dyed (brown, black, red, etc)  (it looks nicer, longer, if you are going for a manicured look)

note: avoid "pallet mulch" -- which is made from ground up wood pallets.

ETA
here is an article i found for you describing various mulch products
https://sweeneyslandscapingblog.com/tag/triple-shredded-mulch/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I have creek rock in a few spots of my yard and plan on replacing all the mulched areas with the same rock this year.

Benefits are it's cheap (like $25 a scoop), it looks better with time, and it is easy to blow out leaves with a blower.  It also is easy to work with.  It's heavy enough round stones that they don't get everywhere.  I love the stuff and a lot of commercial businesses are going to it over mulch.  Termites are also a threat around here and rocks aren't on their dinner plans.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

you have options.

-- do nothing
-- triple shred hardwood mulch (don't "volcano" it up the tree trunk or i will come to your house and kick you in the nuts)
-- ^^^ as above, but dyed (brown, black, red, etc)  (it looks nicer, longer, if you are going for a manicured look)

ETA

ar-jedi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you have options.

-- do nothing

ETA

ar-jedi

Op as a pro landscaper with a hort degree,  ^^^^ this is basically the answer I would give you.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there any type of tree that I should really try to avoid? I plan on chipping tree debris from my property.

I primarily have:

cedar (I clean them up into a separate pile, not too much)

pine (haven't confirmed the variety)

Siberian elm

American elm

box elder

sugar maple

oak, few varieties (mainly red)

basswood

others in there as well, but most of the tree debris is of the above.

I've always bought cedar chips before, but I mulched sparingly. Planning on REALLY stepping up mulching this year.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is there any type of tree that I should really try to avoid? I plan on chipping tree debris from my property.

I primarily have:
cedar (I clean them up into a separate pile, not too much)
pine (haven't confirmed the variety)
Siberian elm
American elm
box elder
sugar maple
oak, few varieties (mainly red)
basswood

others in there as well, but most of the tree debris is of the above.

I've always bought cedar chips before, but I mulched sparingly. Planning on REALLY stepping up mulching this year.
View Quote

I would go with the cedar or the hardwoods,  oak etc.  I also would avoid using the chips as mulch in a " green"state,  composting the chips for a while would probably be a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you have any walnut trees --Black walnut, butternut, etc--don't use that wood on anything.  Don't compost it.  Don't put it around any plants that you don't want to kill.

There are a few plants that can withstand growing underneath Juglans sp.,  but I would still not mulch with it.

ETA:  I use pine or one of the cypress blends from the big box stores because it's cheap, and I've never had any trouble with that.  I also use those same blends from the local mulch companies where I still have accounts. (Agreeing to buy a certain amount per year usually gets you a slightly better price, even at their retail price structure. I no longer buy as a business.)

I also use the bigger chips around trees, shrubs and/or any woody plants.  I do NOT use the big chips around herbaceous perennials or annuals.  (That's the "flowers" that you buy mostly and the bulbs, etc.)

If you're talking about a veggie garden, leaf mold or other well- composted material is my favorite thing to add, and I use it as a mulch, though it is not usually pretty.

If you're after looks, you choose a little differently.  
View Quote

Ok, no way this is just a hobby for you lol,  where did you get your horticulture degree from?    IM me if you want to.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Western Kentucky University. Long time ago.  MS.
View Quote

Well you know your stuff,  you could/should be teaching somewhere.   Come to think of it you are.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's nice of you to say. I did teach a little before I left school.  Really enjoyed that.

However,  I've forgotten far more than I remember now.  Basic plant knowledge? Yeah, I've got that.  Do I remember all my scientific names?  No, I do not.

View Quote

Haha, I've been doing the hort/ landscape thing my entire adult life and I'm still terrible and scientific names and plant keying that's what Michael Dirr's book is for!  

I figure teaching is somewhere in my future, it's the commercial landscapers retirement plan.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My Mike Dirr is ancient and falling apart.  I can't rationalize spending money for new editions just for new cultivars, but there's a LOT I don't know about the newer varieties that have come out since I was working.
View Quote

I've been tempted by the new/newish app for the ipad he has out, but even it's like  $15.00 and the books on amazon are 50.00 plus.   I don't remember them being that pricey 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:40:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Hot Rocks Are Bad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well you know your stuff,  you could/should be teaching somewhere.   Come to think of it you are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Western Kentucky University. Long time ago.  MS.

the problem is that she hits the bottle and things go to hell...  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/658685__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Imminent_sub_compact_tractor_purchase___Opinions_wanted_needed__.html&page=2#i11271086

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep.  Me and chardonnay sometimes create new crosses.

Ain't the first time it's happened.  Likely won't be the last.
View Quote

Hold on....you're a woman???
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Me and chardonnay sometimes create new crosses.

Ain't the first time it's happened.  Likely won't be the last.

whoooooooooooooosh.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Tried gravel to mulch around an area where we had a pool pump.  Mower went full auto trimming around the edges.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not possible!! There are no women on the Internet!   I need proof.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

IM uxb and ask him.  He has seen the evidence.

View Quote

Seems like that might be a strange conversation.......I think I'm just gonna take your word for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#38]

as usual, women are always screwing everything up.

ar-jedi  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#39]
If I wanted to put mulch in the walkways of my raised bed garden, should I use shredded or nugget?

Both feel like hell on my bare feet, so I'm talking strictly from a gardening perspective.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Rat Patrol, we totally jacked your thread.

Sorry about that.

Please don't give up on it if you had more to discuss.
View Quote
Nope, I was done .

Rocks=bad idea.

The biggest killer for me was the heat. Never thought about that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I actually was in a drive through yesterday and saw a rock mulch that was extremely attractive.  I thought of you and was trying to take a photo, but had to pull forward.

This place had rock mulch surrounding the drive-through areas (wood mulch everywhere else) I think so that if people throw out cigarettes there is less chance of fire.  That's just a guess, but from the placement I drew that conclusion.

This mulch was LARGER rocks of all shapes, sizes and forms (meaning some aggregate, some not)  All in the same color tones (grays and gray blacks) which made it workj.  they had decent-size arborvitae growing in it.  But the arborvitae sheddings were all down in the rocks underneath the shrubs, and I was thinking, "that'll be hell to clean out."

But it was the nicest stone mulch job I've ever seen.

Doesn't change my opinion of using rocks for mulch in most instances, but I'm just saying it CAN be done and look nice.  But with one variety of quarry stone, it won't have that effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rat Patrol, we totally jacked your thread.

Sorry about that.

Please don't give up on it if you had more to discuss.
Nope, I was done .  

Rocks=bad idea.

The biggest killer for me was the heat. Never thought about that.

I actually was in a drive through yesterday and saw a rock mulch that was extremely attractive.  I thought of you and was trying to take a photo, but had to pull forward.

This place had rock mulch surrounding the drive-through areas (wood mulch everywhere else) I think so that if people throw out cigarettes there is less chance of fire.  That's just a guess, but from the placement I drew that conclusion.

This mulch was LARGER rocks of all shapes, sizes and forms (meaning some aggregate, some not)  All in the same color tones (grays and gray blacks) which made it workj.  they had decent-size arborvitae growing in it.  But the arborvitae sheddings were all down in the rocks underneath the shrubs, and I was thinking, "that'll be hell to clean out."

But it was the nicest stone mulch job I've ever seen.

Doesn't change my opinion of using rocks for mulch in most instances, but I'm just saying it CAN be done and look nice.  But with one variety of quarry stone, it won't have that effect.

I've done this type of "rock work/mulch" on a few jobs mainly in commercial setting,  I hesitate to call it mulch, hardscape ground cover is probably the most accurate description.   Sometimes it's necessary in areas that need a low maintenance ground cover and in areas that don't have a high concentration of plant materials.  It can also break up the monotony of a large mulched area and add texture.  An added benefit is it generally saves money in the long term,  as less hammered mulch will be needed to freshen up the area in the future.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:02:05 AM EDT
[#44]
in the book Holistic orchard he suggests putting pea gravel around the base of the tree and then putting your mulch further out, now this guy is in Northern NH so he probably wants the heat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I'll get in one last dig at the rocks I used 3/4" around a house many years ago. I had a lot of oaks, and it was impossible to get all the leaves out of the rocks in the fall. I tried a blower too. So after a few years the leaves break down, the weeds and grass move in, and you have a mess that weighs several tons.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top