Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 7:50:28 AM EDT
What ideas have you guys come up with to quit down your generator? I'm toying around with with some flex pipe but thought there might be some clever ideas around here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
someone on the forum put an extended flex pipe and a I believe a Harley muffler on their's..any motorcycle muffler will quiet your genny..
sure one can be found in a junque yard, was thinking of trying it myself
I assume the extended pipe doesn't interact with compression.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The flex pipe is a good idea if your are using your Gen in an enclosed area.  This will pipe the exhaust outside and help quite it down as well. I have also seen an additional muffler like one off an old dirt bike clamped to the exhaust pipe for some additional db reduction.. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used a offset baffle muffler atop my Miller Bobcat 250.....it clamps on and off the factory muffler....and I use it when in residential areas working.

Although it quiets the exhaust down.....it still has mechanical noise.....but it does help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My thoughts are to build a baffle similar to a car muffler and insert it into the flex pipe.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link to my thread

It worked, not quiet but no longer really loud.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My thoughts are to build a baffle similar to a car muffler and insert it into the flex pipe.

That sounds like a lot of work when you can get a cheap muffler from the auto parts store that you can just clamp to your flex pipe.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a lot of work when you can get a cheap muffler from the auto parts store that you can just clamp to your flex pipe.

That's what I'm thinking at this point.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
a muffler from a small import car  will work well. either from a wrecking yard or an autoparts store.

when i replaced the muffler on my Ranger several years ago, the muffler was $13 sp of s,ething for a subcompact is in the same price range, it may not be worth going to a yard to pull one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]
i found a car muffler that would clamp directly to the outside of a b&s can muffler, I used water pipe to extend and 90 degree it for clearance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#11]
does extending the pipe from the genny carb, effect the compression?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
does extending the pipe from the genny carb, effect the compression?

I'll answer this one at face value but I'm not sure it's what you wanted to ask.

Simple answer is no. Compression is determined by stroke of the piston and volume it squishes into the left over space when the piston is at it's highest point.

Adjusting the length of the intake runner can have a slight benefit as you can "stack" the air column and get a slight supercharging effect from the air pulse, requires a ton of Fluid dynamics calculations and would be stupid on a small engine like this. It also wouldn't change the compression.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, here's what we've found.

We've tried to quiet a Honda WX10 water pump [converted by removing the pump and adding a small PM 12V alternator to make a tiny genny] and tried all sorts of mufflers with poor results.

Finally made a machined adapter for a slightly larger muffler [about 5"x 3" x 2 1/2"] and it helped -but only a little. But we tried flex SS tubing, big mufflers, little mufflers, not much help. Putting an enclosure around the genny helped a lot but defeated the purpose.

Later I tried to quiet an ATV. Putting a larger muffler in series [about 4 1/2 in dia and 18"] long helped only a little, not worth the trouble.

I used to think a flex line and bigger muffler would help but haven't had any worthwhile success notwithstanding what I've read.

I'd sure like to hear a solution I can duplicate.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#14]
they make muffler silencers for atv's........ supposed to cut nois by almost 50%....... maybe try one of them?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
More noise comes from the mechanical noise than the muffler on most generators.  Muffle the mechanical noise and you'll muffle most of the excessive noise.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
More noise comes from the mechanical noise than the muffler on most generators.  Muffle the mechanical noise and you'll muffle most of the excessive noise.

This is true, except on cheap generators with tiny mufflers. A lot of noise comes from the engine valvetrain, engine carburetor air inlet, and cooling fans for both the engine and alternator head.

SuperGen Products has a new portable generator "tent" that is quite effective at reducing noise (independent test results described in this thread).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
they make muffler silencers for atv's........ supposed to cut nois by almost 50%....... maybe try one of them?

I dont know how well they would work on a genny but they do work on an ATV. I bought the Hushpower brand. While riding my Sportsman ATV I could hear my buddies engine (both 400 cc's) over the top of mine and the wind noise, despite the fact that he was riding behind me. If they were both idling, you couldnt tell mine was running. I was pretty impressed with that, 50% is a fairly accurate estimate. That said, I would go with a cheap car muffler on a genny setup. Most of the gain was at low to medium throttle, at high RPM the air intake makes up a lot of the engine noise so I suspect it would be less effective on a gen set that runs pretty much full throttle.
If you install one of these on an ATV you quickly learn what they mean by "mechanical noise", as that is most of what you hear afterwards. That and the air intake.  
I've conisdered rigging up something for my Coleman Powermate 5K. I can hear that sucker from inside the house when its running 150' away. Good thing I dont have close neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Given that you are in OH, and it gets cold, have you given any thought to pushing all that heat in the exhaust through a heat exchanger. you get the added benefit of quieting it down as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the whole muffler approach is less than acceptable.

You can make a large ring around the unit with hay bales and extend to a height

2 ft over the gen and not even hear the unit a more permenent block enclosure

dry stacked would be best the top can be left wide open since for some reason

the sound going up can't be heard though the blocks could bounce the sound

around so  a greater height would be better maybe 6 ft.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
My son borrowed on for his house after Hurricane Ike and it was so loud he couldn't sleep. He added a muffler and it made no noticeable difference. A mechanics stethoscope revealed most of the noise was from the valve train and from the intake. Build a hush house and make sure it is ventilated so as not to burn up the genny. Total up your costs and the cheap genny is no bargain.

<cough> Honda eu2000i </cough>
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a spare 40 series flowmaster out in the shop that I guess I could use. Also have the muffler and resonator from a nissan pickup out there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My son borrowed on for his house after Hurricane Ike and it was so loud he couldn't sleep. He added a muffler and it made no noticeable difference. A mechanics stethoscope revealed most of the noise was from the valve train and from the intake. Build a hush house and make sure it is ventilated so as not to burn up the genny. Total up your costs and the cheap genny is no bargain.

What was the reason for running the genny all night?  When it's time to sleep, shut the damn genny off and go to sleep...

What the heck kind of genny makes so much noise from the valve train and intake that it is louder than the exhaust note through a spark arrestor?

If someone buys a $200-300 genny instead of a $900 honda, do you really think they couldn't quiet the cheap genny down for less than $600-700?

<cough>Honda gennys are way overpriced</cough>
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I saw this one a few weeks ago!

http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gensetquiet.htm

I did exactly that except I welded the adapter to a flat peice of steel that I then screw into the spark arrester with a gasket to seal it.

It works very very well. The only noise heard is the mechanical noise when more than 20 feet away.

Next I need to build an enclosure to quiet that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the reason for running the genny all night?  When it's time to sleep, shut the damn genny off and go to sleep... AC it was hot out

What the heck kind of genny makes so much noise from the valve train and intake that it is louder than the exhaust note through a spark arrestor?Briggs engine open fram POS

If someone buys a $200-300 genny instead of a $900 honda, do you really think they couldn't quiet the cheap genny down for less than $600-700? And still be as potable as a Honda?

<cough>Honda gennys are way overpriced</cough>Buy quality cry once, buy crap cry a lot

My opinion. I bit the bullet and own two eu2000i's.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the reason for running the genny all night?  When it's time to sleep, shut the damn genny off and go to sleep... AC it was hot out

What the heck kind of genny makes so much noise from the valve train and intake that it is louder than the exhaust note through a spark arrestor?Briggs engine open fram POS

If someone buys a $200-300 genny instead of a $900 honda, do you really think they couldn't quiet the cheap genny down for less than $600-700? And still be as potable as a Honda?

<cough>Honda gennys are way overpriced</cough>Buy quality cry once, buy crap cry a lot

Sounds like a solidly built and well insulated house...  If I lived in a "tin can", I suppose I'd bite the bullet on a few hondas...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#27]
. <snip>

Sounds like a solidly built and well insulated house...  If I lived in a "tin can", I suppose I'd bite the bullet on a few hondas...

Older home built in the fifties when fuel oil was 12 cents a gallon so I suppose it could be better insulated. He's 28 with his own home.

Would a M44 Nagant guard my home as well as my AR? Yes, I would rather save a few pennies and skip a few meals out and have QUALITY products though. Another problem witth the crappy power made by these Chinese genny's is the poor power they produce  A coworker bought a cheapie and is replacing hundred oh dollars worth of electrical equipment due to a power outage. His junk genny burned up everything not on a surge protector.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#28]
This has made mine much quieter:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=626894

Also makes it secure and gives me a place to store fule outside of the house when the generator is not in use.  Likely one of the best projects I have done in a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top