Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/14/2008 5:22:05 PM EDT
Anyone here hunts mountain lions?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:56:14 PM EDT
We have a season here in South Dakota, but I have never done it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:52:56 PM EDT
I buy a tag every year, but never hunt them. It's more of a "just in case" type thing for me. I have seen several big cats over the years but have never shot at one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 9:01:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stumps:
I buy a tag every year, but never hunt them. It's more of a "just in case" type thing for me. I have seen several big cats over the years but have never shot at one.

How expensive is the tag?
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 9:59:18 AM EDT
Buy a tag every year.
If I don't get one by chance while hunting other species or calling I get one with my buddy and his dogs.

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 10:52:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By genesis:
Buy a tag every year.
If I don't get one by chance while hunting other species or calling I get one with my buddy and his dogs.

i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/genesiscom/lionmount.jpg

Wow that is nice... I want one!
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 1:50:34 PM EDT
Yes, we have a full body mount of a 180 tom we killed 4 years ago. I highly recommend using dogs, as will most cat hunters. The tags here in WY are not that expensive, unless you are out-of-state.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:14:51 PM EDT
Dogs are the only way to effectively hunt cats. We have seen a cat twice at our place, but its pure chance. Hounds are the only way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:18:02 PM EDT
Shoot, all I have to do is to put my dogs out to poop in the fenced in area in the backyard and a yote or a mountain lion will come by to scope things out.

Do people really have to go looking for them?
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 8:14:16 PM EDT
Here in Oregon we are no longer allowed to use dogs to hunt cougar or bear. It's a bunch of horseshit really, but it has had two effects.

one, the cougar popluation is booming, and as the adult males command a territory of over 100 square miles, it is pushing them in closer to urban areas and causing a lot of competition for food.

two, the population increase and the competition for the same food source has seemed to make them much more eager to come to a call. They usually take their time and come in slow and quiet, so never call alone. Have a buddy to watch your six or you might miss one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 10:03:13 PM EDT
I had hounds for years. Turned out on several lions and tree too few.
I had a great time, have a rug, and pix to remember.
Do it, it's well worth the effort.
M
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 7:05:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MDS:
I had hounds for years. Turned out on several lions and tree too few.
I had a great time, have a rug, and pix to remember.
Do it, it's well worth the effort.
M

This

It will GET YOU IN SHAPE!!

I love it, lion bears coons you name it

See my handle?
Top Top