Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 4:32:41 PM EDT
I am thinking about buying a couple of Mono Vaults in case I need to bury my guns and ammo. Hey with this president you just never know. To guard against moisture I was thinking about using my food saver to vacum pack my ammo. I have vacum packed some of my 5.56 bandoliers and they are airtight, but I am concerned that by vacum packing the ammo that it might damage my ammo in some way due to the pressures. Has anyone had any experience with vacum packing your ammo. Good idea or not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, Monovaults are way over priced.

I have put together the PVC built tubes in the past. Each cost about $13.00 to build.  I buried one in 1999.  I recently unearthed it to check it out.  Everything was perfectly dry and in great condition.  I had vacuum packed four ammo boxes.  All four boxes were still sealed.  I have not fired the ammo yet, but plan to.  I don't see how a vacuum sealer could affect the ammo, not a household machine anyway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the PVC.  Just remember to bury it in your liberal neighbor's yard.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard it is a no go on vacuum sealing ammo. It compresses the powder.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you use any oxygen absorbers?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I heard it is a no go on vacuum sealing ammo. It compresses the powder.

I just went in an vacum packed a salt shaker. It has no effect on the salt inside which would be the same for a bullet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You've got that right. If they come to your home for your guns they have a device, other than metal detectors, that scans the ground for any disturbances in the soil. A lot of police departments use them or have access to them for looking for buried bodies. Find a spot off your property.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've got just the right neighbor then. A libtard Md transplant that needs to go back to PG county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top