Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2015 3:05:06 PM EDT
Okay, finally took some pics.  Having received my General License a few weeks ago and since the only CB traffic in my area is some hillbilly spammer, I decided to install a mobile HAM radio.

The antenna mount is a CBI Offroad, comes painted (which is a nice touch since everything else seems to come unpainted) and is very beefy.  The install was easy and took about 30 minutes.  The antenna is a Comet Super Slim Dual Band with a NMO base.  The coax is RG-58.

I didn't take any pics but the wires were run through the firewall and down the drivers side kick place and into the drivers side storage compartment.

I used a 6-gang Blue Sea fuse block in the storage compartment.  The positive and negative are 10 gauge run directly from the battery.  This will allow me to add additional radios or other things in an easily accessible area.

The radio itself was screwed to the hatch cover measured 3" from the rear of the hatch to the rear of the mounting bracket.  This allows easy access to the fuses and for programming.

The speaker was mounted to the back of the center console, has good sound and is out of the way.

The head unit is mounted to the top of the center console between the mic and my Steelie phone mount.  It's within easy reach, easy visible without taking my eyes completely off the road and works well.  The vents are also accessible so this isn't an issue.  There is also a reason my the plastic trim around the radio looks hacked up.  I originally had a Bearcat 980SSB CB below the radio.  However, in order to make everything fit, I had to dremel the trim piece.  I'll eventually replace the trim piece but it isn't a high priority right now.

Since I took out the CB and this is the method used while on the trails, I relocated the CB coax to one of the switch panels.  I have a Midland 75-822 which will connect to the coax and the power plug is right next to it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you listen to on the ham bands while driving? Can you get useful information about road conditions, speed traps, or weather from it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good.

Does the 7900 have enough space to breathe and stay cool?

Where did you mount the face ? - edit...nevermind .. Seeing more pics loaded
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you listen to on the ham bands while driving? Can you get useful information about road conditions, speed traps, or weather from it?

View Quote

I talked to the international space station driving to the rifle range with my friends FT-7900 mobile

How's that ?

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks good.

View Quote

There's plenty of room under there for air circulation plus there isn't any insulation between the body and the exterior in that area.  Took my idea from someone else running an 857D and 8900 in the same space.  If HF and a cross-band can live in there, my measly dual band will be just fine.  If I lived in the south, spent alot of time transmitting and/or find myself sitting in highway bumper to bumper traffic often, I'll add a vent hole into the cab.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I used a 6-gang Blue Sea fuse block in the storage compartment.  The positive and negative are 10 gauge run directly from the battery.  This will allow me to add additional radios or other things in an easily accessible area.

View Quote

What size fuses did you install on the positive and negative power leads at the battery?

I usually use 30A fuses as close to the battery as possible, then wire loom to the bulkhead.

Using the fuses for the individual radio/s also.

Figure that the 30A fuses at the battery can be the fail safe

for preventing burning my rig up if somehow a wire gets pinched.

Once upon a time I had a car at the dealership for work.

They left the ground strap to the frame disconnected.

The return path was my radios negative ground lead and from

there, the coax and antenna mount. That was not good, and now

there are fuses even on the negative power lead for the power run at

the battery.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What size fuses did you install on the positive and negative power leads at the battery?

I usually use 30A fuses as close to the battery as possible, then wire loom to the bulkhead.

the battery.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the battery.

This will be done this week.  Right now I have a +/- inline fuse at the radio and a 15A + side at the block.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the connection between Tacomas and ham radio people? An out of proportion number of the hams I know (including me) drive them.

After researching running power from the battery and experiencing angst from all the warnings about interference with airbag electronics I parted with $38 while I was having some other service done and let the Toyota dealer do it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool.

I see also that your setup is complete with a Maglight, timeless holder of dead D-cell batteries.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There's plenty of room under there for air circulation plus there isn't any insulation between the body and the exterior in that area.  Took my idea from someone else running an 857D and 8900 in the same space.  If HF and a cross-band can live in there, my measly dual band will be just fine.  If I lived in the south, spent alot of time transmitting and/or find myself sitting in highway bumper to bumper traffic often, I'll add a vent hole into the cab.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good.

I found I needed to add a fan when I mounted my 8800 behind the rear seat of my truck. Might be something to consider.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I talked to the international space station driving to the rifle range with my friends FT-7900 mobile

How's that ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that ?

So, nothing useful then? Just an adult toy?

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good! Could you add some holes to allow ventilation?

Oh man I am looking for places to mount a TM-V71A in my toyota. There is one small cavity between the brake and parking brake, but it will need some significant bracket fabrication. Basically every cubic inch of that dash is occupied.

I've even pulled the trim up from the center console, and considered sacrificing the glove box.

Under the driver's seat is a poor option because it will end up full of spilled coffee and french fries. The overhead console would be a good place but  there's not much room in there.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh man I am looking for places to mount a TM-V71A in my toyota. There is one small cavity between the brake and parking brake, but it will need some significant bracket fabrication. Basically every cubic inch of that dash is occupied.

I've even pulled the trim up from the center console, and considered sacrificing the glove box.

Under the driver's seat is a poor option because it will end up full of spilled coffee and french fries. The overhead console would be a good place but  there's not much room in there.

View Quote

http://www.toyota.com/configurator/

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that ?

Not necessarily. It can certainly be used to route your buds around traffic jams and someone would always have weather reports of severe weather was in the area. There are a lot of uses.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.toyota.com/configurator/

Dang, now you tell me. I would specifiy "leave a small cavity behind the A/C controls for a radio and bring 12 AWG wire straight from the battery through the firewall"
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is the connection between Tacomas and ham radio people? An out of proportion number of the hams I know (including me) drive them.

After researching running power from the battery and experiencing angst from all the warnings about interference with airbag electronics I parted with $38 while I was having some other service done and let the Toyota dealer do it.
View Quote

Reliability and a mindset towards having options (I'll go out on a limb and call it survivalist thinking). There's seem to be a lot of overlap with Jeep types as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is relevant to my interests;  I just ran 12 AWG twin lead from the battery to the TM-V71A- if I transmit with 50W are my airbags going to deploy?

I don't want to end up like this: with a microphone stuck in my teeth.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no first or second hand knowledge of airbags deploying, I ran into the warning a log researching, so figured $38 was cheap for my peace of mind.

Quoted:

This is relevant to my interests;  I just ran 12 AWG twin lead from the battery to the TM-V71A- if I transmit with 50W are my airbags going to deploy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Water intrusion in my mag mount puts me in the market for a new antenna. Do you know if that CBI mount will fit a 2010 tacoma? The CBI site just says "gen 2", which I believe is all late models but I'm wondering if there was anything in the packaging, stating what years?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:... So, nothing useful then? Just an adult toy?
View Quote

Yes, but with a different shape than you're used to.

They (VHF/UHF transceivers) can actually be quite useful if the application fits your situation. For example, there are many long distances (30-60 minute drive) commuters in this area and the local commuters here have morning and afternoon nets on several of the repeaters where traffic and weather hazards are discussed and avoided if possible, Many are friendly groups that get to know each other and have regular discussions to kill time on the road. Similar in some ways to CB on the highway, but without the profanity and idiotic attitude.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#20]
@dispatch55126

What is the NMO base brand for your install? Is it 3/8" or 3/4"? It seems to not have a lot of bulk under the mount. I will be using the CBI bracket on my 4Runner and like the looks of your set up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Toyota makes a good vehicle. The only radio related complaint I've ever heard about them (from TLF) is that there is no aftermarket console support. Very relevant to him due to him having two XTL2500's (one VHF one UHF), an XPR4550 and a MCS2000 in that truck...not to mention the smart siren he has on top of it all.

I was raised with the mentality of buying full sized pickups for everyday use and Toyota Taco's (not Rangers, B-Series, S10's or Dakotas) as ranch trucks. Full size my personal preferences are anything but Ford.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@dispatch55126

What is the NMO base brand for your install? Is it 3/8" or 3/4"? It seems to not have a lot of bulk under the mount. I will be using the CBI bracket on my 4Runner and like the looks of your set up.
View Quote

I don't remember other than I got it at Radio City in Mounds View MN.  It does have a 3/8" stud, o-ring sealed and continuous diameter coax. Several other brands that I looked at run something like a RG-158 from the mount but I wanted the larger diameter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top