Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 3:13:54 AM EDT
I've been buying my milk from Costco, around here they are using a fairly heavy plastic that is all white. It is square in shape and looks like it will hold up pretty well.

Do you think it would be good for say 5 years of storage out of direct sunlight?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
i wouldnt use milk jugs...but each his own.

the plastic may hold but i havent seen many that do over long term. even the gallon water jugs you can buy leak after a few years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I am agreeing with protus here.

Those milk jugs are not designed for LTS, and
I have a funny feeling that even if the jugs lasted, your water would end up tasting odd.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
hmm
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
like it or not,  gallon water and milk containers are just not designed for reuse.  You can trust experience and that  trials to have taken place.  It might be counter intuitive, but it's the truth.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Do you think it would be good for say 5 years of storage out of direct sunlight?
View Quote
maybe, maybe not.

But then again, are you willing to risk a "maybe" for water storage.

go get a barrel

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#6]
What do you recommend for LTS?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#7]
i buy the ice mountain tube like bottles.they stack nice and only one dollar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've been buying my milk from Costco, around here they are using a fairly heavy plastic that is all white. It is square in shape and looks like it will hold up pretty well.
View Quote
The MTBF on the regular milk bottles is about 5 years empty in the dark and 3 years full in the dark.

Take off several months for every day exposed to sunlight. (And remember, you don't have control over the exposure of light before you bought it.)

There are about 1,000 types of containers that are better.  I'd use a laundry basket lined with a contractor garbage bag first.

Maybe as a "last to fill and first to use" backup you could fill what ones you have on hand.  But I would never stack anything on them and certainly would NOT depend on them. One good bump and they'll tear.  They've been known to accidentally split when a kid sets them down on the table too hard.

Unless the Costco ones are a different plastic, I wouldn't do it.  And even then, only for water used for stuff like flushing toilets and watering plants, not for consumption.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#10]
how about storing them in water bottles? I have a water cooler and seven 5-gallon jugs for it. Most of the time at least 4 or 5 jugs are full. downside is the 5-gallon jugs have gotten expensive. I got a new one yesterday - it was $15 filled.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#11]
i get water delivered from ozarka...it comes in large 5 gallon bottles sealed with a very good plastic cap.  I have enough delivered that my stockpile increases every month.  In other words, I drink two but get four delivered.

As a result, my garage now has a sizeable water supply stored in a way that the water company thinks is good - that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I will say I dropped a full Costco gallon of milk from about 4.5' and was pleasantly suprised that it didn't split open and break -- so they are somewhat durable when fresh.  I still wouldn't use them for storage.

YMMV,
WTF
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

55 gallon plastic barrels.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks folks, I figured NO would be the answer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had soda bottles filled for many years (5+ since I lost a couple and then refound them), they make decent free storage containers. I also bought a couple heavy duty 5&6 gallon water containers, so I have 4 of those now. But, college was relegated to 2 liter soda bottles in a milk crate.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't because you can't rinse out that last bit of milk, and it will spoil and your water will reek of spoled milk. Better tho spend the extra bucks and get a good container because when you need it, you will really need. it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top