Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 12:45:45 PM EDT
Here is the scenario:

I have a group of church kids that I take camping and hiking.  In the next few weeks I would like to take them "survival" camping.  They will build thier own shelters ect....They will prepare thier own foods.  They have to come up with 3 SIMPLE /EASY menu ideas for the camp.  But they have to pack everything they need in.  NO CARS.  

So I am asking for ideas that I can help them with as far as simple Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner menus.

One of the smaller kids wanted to build an oven out of rocks to make pizza.  I like the idea but I know it would be a lot of work.....maybe.  Anyway, all ideas will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe some MREs.....you can cook eggs relatively easy with a small camp skillet just get one of those hard plastic egg holders......tortillas thrown in a skillet with some eggs make a breakfast burrito hats
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
MREs are the easy way out .  Instant rice is good.  So is ramen.  I also like dehydrated potatoes.  A slab of bacon will hold up pretty good for a day or two.  Jerky is always good to have.  You can just eat it or you can put it in stew or whatever.  Trail mix is a must, too.  I usually just make my own.  Just put some raisins, peanuts and pretzels or cheerios into little baggies and eat them on the go.  It's good, easy and cheap.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
taking a cooler? (milk, eggs etc)

if not, a dutch oven or stew kettle?

dried beans,
dried beef,
salt pork and/or fish
dried/cured sausages

depending on how much you are carring, you could google some cowboy/chuckwagon/muleskinner type recipes using the above ingredients or more

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
When my boy's scout troop goes camping, for breakfast they make omelettes in plastic sandwich bags and boil them. They actually turn out pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When my boy's scout troop goes camping, for breakfast they make omelettes in plastic sandwich bags and boil them. They actually turn out pretty good.

That's a clever idea, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top