Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2009 6:24:24 PM EDT
Don't want to beat this topic to death, but here it goes again....my FISH are usually very healthy, but in my discussions with "mama fish", it was brought up that, in the unlikely event that BOB was required, what would our med status be...I explained that in all likelyhood, the duration we'd be with BOB hopefully wouldn't require anything but the standard advil/neosporin/benedryl...etc.  She, being the wise fish that she is, replied that ..."If you're going to go to the time and expense to make a good BOB, why not add a little more time and expense to make it better..."  So after searching many posts here and there, to complete the +aid kit, I'm considering an online purchase from the fish store, just in case my fish absolutely require it...therein lies the catch...(pardon the fish pun)...you see, my fish, in the past, have taken human grade antibiotics  (HGA), and in my searching, I have seen references to the fact that the antibiotics for my fish come off of the same line as HGA...yet I have never seen any..."documentation" to verify this...can anybody point me in the right direction on this?...Does anybody have practical experience treating their own fish in the past?
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I heard that the common Erithromycin is suppose to be the same...I am not sure if I would take it..might be better than nothing though. But would you also eat canned dog food?
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't want to beat this topic to death, but here it goes again....my FISH are usually very healthy, but in my discussions with "mama fish", it was brought up that, in the unlikely event that BOB was required, what would our med status be...I explained that in all likelyhood, the duration we'd be with BOB hopefully wouldn't require anything but the standard advil/neosporin/benedryl...etc.  She, being the wise fish that she is, replied that ..."If you're going to go to the time and expense to make a good BOB, why not add a little more time and expense to make it better..."  So after searching many posts here and there, to complete the +aid kit, I'm considering an online purchase from the fish store, just in case my fish absolutely require it...therein lies the catch...(pardon the fish pun)...you see, my fish, in the past, have taken human grade antibiotics  (HGA), and in my searching, I have seen references to the fact that the antibiotics for my fish come off of the same line as HGA...yet I have never seen any..."documentation" to verify this...can anybody point me in the right direction on this?...Does anybody have practical experience treating their own fish in the past?

Honestly, I'd do a small amount of research on antibiotics (gram-positive VS gram  negative, broad VS narrow spectrum, possible side effects to watch for, etc) and armed with that information simply ask my doctor for a couple of perscriptions.  Keep some benadryl fast acting strips handy and an epipen if you can get one of those as well.  Most docs don't seem to mind handing out AB scripts that much.  Narcotics (morphine, etc) are a bigger deal sadly (thanks to retarded addicts and our friends in the .gov trying to keep us safe).

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep...this is where I grind to a halt....I'd LIKE to stock some basic antibiotics...I HEAR that the stuff for my fish comes from the same line as HGA, but the CONFIRMATION is, so far, unavailable..., and to me, the last thing I'd want to happen would for me to be in a SHTF situation, need the antibiotics, and then have to wonder if I made things worse...possibly much worse, by using the ones for my fish.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top