Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/19/2013 4:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2013 12:50:12 PM EDT by ACfarmer]
I was camping over the weekend and noticed that another person had a MSR stove running on a butane cylinder. He said that the butane was setup via an adapter for the normally liquid fueled MSR stove. I have two Whipserlite Internationals and wanted too look into picking up an adapter kit for butane but haven't found one...anyone know of something on the market? thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:26:50 PM EDT
Not sure of an adapter. I know the international was upgraded to the "universal" which is the dual fuel type. I would contact MSR directly and see if there is a retrofit kit or if it can be upgraded at all. I not at least you know what to put on the buy list next.

I upgraded from an MSR Pocket Rocket to a Micro Rocket in my pack and have the pocket rocket to the wife. It might be more cost effective to have 2 stoves if the retrofit is too expensive. The pocket rocket can be had for around $30 and the Micro around $50.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:05:33 AM EDT
Having two stoves might be the better solution. 2 is better than one, etc.

It's one of those you don't get something for nothing. If you look at the efficiency of the international / universal using white gas compared to a dedicated white gas stove, you will see the international / universal is less efficient. I can only assume the same is true for canister fuel.

From MSR Website:

Water boiled per 100 ml of White Gas Fuel -

Whisperlite = 5.1 liters
Whisperlite Uni. / Inter. = 4.4 liters

Whisperlite is approx. 15% more efficient. That is easily one additional meal per liter.
Top Top