Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 11:08:20 PM EDT
Page with Pics

The Problem:

My Alpha Delta DX-CC antenna has a LOUSY match for 75meters (SWR of 25:1) but I have a local weekly Net I like to check into. I've been using the MFJ-969 tuner for probably 1.5yrs with good signal reports running at 100w. Fairly recently, people have been commenting that my signal strength would go from S9+20 to S6 and back. I then started noticing that my FT950 would be flashing "HIGH SWR" though I just tuned for the band on the 969. I then noticed that if I would just move the roller inductor a bit, the SWR issue would go away but only for a few moments and it would come back. The other thing that I realize now on hindsight is that a few months ago, I heard some "sizzling" sounds from the tuner when I was on the net but things were still working so I didn't think much of it. Now I realize what was happening: ARCing.

A fellow HAM on this 75m net mentioned that he too once had a MFJ-969 and also lost the final PAs amplifiers on several HF radios until he figured out what was happening. His tuner was silently going high SWR on him like mine but he didn't have radios that could foldback their power to protect themselves. He specifically recommended that if I liked my radio, to ditch the 969 tuner and get something better made. This HAM has been around a LOT longer than I and the recommendation was a sound one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#1]

You ever clean the roller? I had something similar happen to my MFJ-986 and after cleaning the roller it seamed to fix it. My tuner is a LOT older than yours though.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:34:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Not mine.

This guy found multiple problems though, and they didn't all appear to be caused by the arcs he heard.

To be CoC compliant I did not quote the entire article or post all the pics.  Just a teaser.

I'm very leery of MFJ, heard too many questionable things about them to be comfortable giving them my hard earned $$$.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 969 that I no longer use. The meter is WAY off. But probably the biggest problem is the face is not mounted square. I had to use 3/4" rubber feet so that it would set flat.

Performance was meh. I like my KT-100 more.

My next manual tuner will be a Palstar
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey! I just shipped one of those out the other day. Maybe I should pass that along to the guy who bought it.

ETA: I had it sold locally, but when I drove to meet the guy, the meter hold down piece had shattered and he backed out. I had to get a new one before I tried to sell it again. Seems to be common from the picture.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]

If you want a good manual tuner then I would suggest the Palstar AT2K.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.qsl.net/dk7zb/Tuner/Bild-5_AT2K_front.jpg

View Quote

There was a guy here that listed one in the EE. I tried and tried to get a hold of him with no luck
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There was a guy here that listed one in the EE. I tried and tried to get a hold of him with no luck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope his manual tuners are better than the HF-AUTO
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the AT2KD and love it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The Daiwa CNW-419 is built like a tank.  Inside is very ship shape.

These are rare.  If you see one for a reasonable price, grab it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using an MFJ Versa Tuner V, model 989C. Bought it used for $75. It's rated for 3kW. I cleaned the roller inductor with a pencil eraser and lubed it with a "secret formula" grease that Palstar reps were giving away at Dayton Hamfest. This tuner is not a Palstar but should hold a legal limit power.  I find it's build quality acceptable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've been using an MFJ Versa Tuner V, model 989C. Bought it used for $75. It's rated for 3kW. I cleaned the roller inductor with a pencil eraser and lubed it with a "secret formula" grease that Palstar reps were giving away at Dayton Hamfest. This tuner is not a Palstar but should hold a legal limit power.  I find it's build quality acceptable.
View Quote

I have an old MFJ-986 that works great. I do like the Palstar though.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can feel the Palstar hate here.

I think there were a number of issues with the HF-Auto firmware that gave early adopters fits. I am not sure I would ever want a servo motor driven tuner either.  

If I were going to run QRO I would buy an AT4K manual tuner insead. The AT2K is rated at 1500 watts PEP, but I am not sure it it would be up to the task at true ORO output.

Here is an old MFJ-989C tuner I had when I bought my first Flex 3000 back in 2011. It was a good tuner overall, but  I it was a bit more difficult to tune than the Palstar  AT2K.

MFJ-989C Internal

Palstar AT2K Internal

However when you looked under the hood, the Palstar AT2K design was laid out much better and they certainly used much higher quality components in the construction than MFJ did.  I guess as with all things you get what you pay for sometimes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top