Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 4:36:24 PM EST
the new ladyfriend wants to use her M1 Carbine for gun deer season this year, for lack of telescopic sights have always left my own M1 Carbine at home but I have wanted to hunt with it on more than one occasion.

the Universal carbine she inherited from her grandfather has a nice 4 power scope

what's the hive mind's opinion on the little .30 carbine round?

I'm a fan of it, yes its not even close to the 30.06 that I normally carry, but I've never taken a bad shot and believe with responsible shot placement the carbine round is more than adequate for whitetail.

now for the obligatory pics:

my Inland carbine, manufactured in August of 1943 above her Universal made whenever someone decided it was a good idea to cast cheap recievers...

and my 7400 (what I normally carry) abover her Universal carbine...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:39:37 AM EST
I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about using a carbine for defensive purposes, so long as it is loaded with a decent expanding jacketed hollow point. With such a bullet it is comparable to a 357 magnum loading, and has a good track record when used defensively.

Unfortunately I am not nearly so fond of the idea of using it for deer. When deer hunting we aren't looking to discourage an assailant. We want decisive killing power. The typical 110 .30cal JHP is a fairly lightly constructed bullet with little sectional density. It's never going to be a great penetrator. My fear is that you will experience fairly dramatic but shallow wounding and that teh deer will not drop in a reasonable time frame.

There has been a lot of successful deer hunting done with Marlin 1894 carbines in .357 Mag. However, 110 and 125 grain loads are NOT recommended. The usual loading is a quality 158 Jacketed soft t point or a controlled expansion HP. The 110's and 125's are simply not cut out for the kind of penetration needed...

Personnally I'm not really excited about the carbine on deer. I might be more inclined to use it if we were talking about 95 lb south Florida deer. However, I suspect that Wisconsin gets its fair share of large bodied corn fed cold-resistant 200 pounders. That lil carbine isn;t quite up to the task. If she insists on using it I'd strongly recommend treating it as a bow: Wait for a double-lung broadside shot where she can avoid most of the bones and extra mass in the shoulder. She's going to need all the luck she can get. I'm sure she can kill with one, but the odds of a messed up shot, an all night tracking job and a lost deer are very very substantial with this load. I originally bought a Carbine for my wife and daughter to use. Its a nice, short, light, handy little carbine. I know that mine will never go deer hunting.

If she want's a small light deer rifle consider a .243, .250 Savage or .260 Rem. If repeaters are really wanted, then its hard to beat a Marlin 1894C in .357. Load a remignton 158 JSP over a full charge of Hodgdon Lil'Gun and you can drive the 158's to 1900-2000 fps. A 158 at those speeds is running on the lower end of 30-30 performance and has taken a whole lotta whitetails at distances from powder-burn to 125 yards.

Its really tempting to take the little Carbines hunting. THey are so handy and down right wonderful to carry. Unfortunately, they simply don't cut it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:42:46 AM EST
Nah get her a .243
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:12:55 AM EST
plenty of power to take down a deer. there was an oldtimer at our deer camp years ago that always hunted with one and it accounted for many filled freezers. just a FYI, check local laws on magazine capacity for autoloading while hunting. many states have a law that says you cant hunt with an autoloader that has more than a 5 round capacity. The guy at our camp had one of his magazines pinned so it would only fit 4 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:17:56 AM EST
first rule of hunting. USE ENOUGH GUN. while the carbine is capable of killing a deer, so is a .22 rimfire. it does not mean its a good idea to try. the idea in harvesting game is to kill as quickly and humanely as possible. do try to do anythig less is very disrespectful to the animal and to hunting itself. just my opinoin and advice. that being said, good luck, happy hunting, and (with luck) good eating.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:18:16 AM EST
Get some Barnes TSX loads or new Gold Dot loads, heart lung shot and keep it to 100yds or less = Dead Deer.
50yds or less any SP or HSP will work with proper shot placement. IMO!
RRA15
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:43:55 AM EST
Bring both of your 30Carbines and soft point / led tipped ammo this year.
Also bring the 30-06 in case things don't turn out as expected, or should your scope-envy reach
intolerable levels.

By energy levels, it appears to be a 100 yard max weapon, which at that distance would be like hitting
a deer with a handgun-fired .357 Magnum 158gr at the muzzle.

Hopefully the deer will present themselves at 100yds or less –– seems to be the case in most deer
woods situations. Reply back in this thread with your actual results. Good Luck...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:31:03 AM EST
thank you everyone for your input.

the location of our hunt puts us in an area where the maximum distance for a responsible shot is about 75 yards. The terrain limits how far you can see-very hilly and the tall tree coverage hinders sight across ravines.

in the last couple seasons we've had:

buck-30yds 30.06
doe - 65yds 12ga slug
doe - 20yds 12ga slug
buck-55yds 30.06
buck-30yds 30.06
buck-55yds 20ga slug

I was thinking the idea of treating the carbine no different from her bow is best at this point, after all she's the die hard bow hunter who brought me into that hobby

she will be seated in a stand, not walking, nor using the carbine for any drives, so I trust she shouldnt have any problems waiting for proper shot placement.

either way it looks like I need to research ammunition a little bit more before we make a decision... thanks for the opinions fellas! i'll be sure to report in if i have any more findings!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:38:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By jacobsk:
thank you everyone for your input.

the location of our hunt puts us in an area where the maximum distance for a responsible shot is about 75 yards. The terrain limits how far you can see-very hilly and the tall tree coverage hinders sight across ravines.

in the last couple seasons we've had:

buck-30yds 30.06
doe - 65yds 12ga slug
doe - 20yds 12ga slug
buck-55yds 30.06
buck-30yds 30.06
buck-55yds 20ga slug

I was thinking the idea of treating the carbine no different from her bow is best at this point, after all she's the die hard bow hunter who brought me into that hobby

she will be seated in a stand, not walking, nor using the carbine for any drives, so I trust she shouldnt have any problems waiting for proper shot placement.

either way it looks like I need to research ammunition a little bit more before we make a decision... thanks for the opinions fellas! i'll be sure to report in if i have any more findings!

IMHO, it is more important that she is confident with the gun, and capable of making 'the shot' than the bullet weight.

Handing her a gun that she was afraid of, or not capable of shooting well instead of her trusty 'main' gun would be a mistake this close to the season.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:31:44 PM EST
I'd recommend using Corbon DPX ammo in it.

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23_120&products_id=252&osCsid=02bef38d3f89014ab28a8bbf44a248a7

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:15:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By VaFish:

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23_120&products_id=252&osCsid=02bef38d3f89014ab28a8bbf44a248a7

similar to these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=553131
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:51:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By jacobsk:
Originally Posted By VaFish:

similar to these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=553131

Looks like same stuff, same bullet weight, same velocity, and both say they are from the "Hunter" line. Also I don't see a .30 Carbine DPX load in the self defense line, only the Hunter load.

I don't own a .30 carbine and haven't used that load on deer, but the Barnes bullets loaded by Corbon expand well and penetrate deeply.
Top Top