Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 4:44:16 PM EDT
I'm trying to get a few ideas and some knowledge about some packs. I have looked up a few packs and want to here peoples thoughts.

I'm going to be using this pack for my job with National Park in Texas. This is going to be my go to pack pretty much used for everything but if I have a known medical call. I would like to be able to conceal a SBR AR-15 also in the pack.

I'm looking for something around 3,000 cubic inches/ 49 liters and be able to use a hydration bladder. This pack is also going to be used as my off duty hiking camping bag for trips that might last a few nights.

Have looked at a few packs first was Mystery Ranch Overload I like how it has the zipper that goes all the way down and read a lot of good things about them also have read a lot of bad things from guys in the military saying they are junk. I have to admit I do love there Load cells but know I can use them on any system.

Next I looked at the Kifaru 22 Mag and  Tarryall both look like great bags just not sure about the concealed rifle would work.

Next took a look at F4M Terminator from Eberlestock it's a little bigger then I want but hear a lot of good things about them also another thing I'm not sure about is the rifle see that they have scabbed's but it seems that it's not that discreet. If you would like to know why I'll tell you.

Last is a company I never heard of until today Stone Glacier and there 3R 3300 tried looking up reviews but there is not much out there it's a nice ultra light pack under 5 lbs with frame also has a few sweet ideas check R3 240 panel.LINK TO PACK

So like to hear from you guys about these packs what you heard or even think about them and also if I missed one tell me about it thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'm not sure what your job or capacity is, but if you need to go fully concealed, that Stone Glacier R3 is one of the better ones I've seen on the market.  Understand that accessibility will not be quick, but it does disappear inside a very normal looking backpack.  All of these packs are pretty heavy, so as long as you now the packs will weight around 7-8 pounds along with a similar weight AR/SBR, you have 15-16 pounds on your back before you even start adding your base weight.  Again, not an issue if you're willing and capable of carrying it, just understand the weight additions.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The more I hike the more I leave tactical in favor of lightweight. End of the world is very different than day to day adventure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

...Mystery Ranch .......Kifaru 2....  Tarryall .... Eberlestock ....Stone Glacier .....

So like to hear from you guys about these packs what you heard or even think about them and also if I missed one tell me about it thanks!
View Quote
Sounds like you have some sort of combat tactical position at the National Park?  

Any reason North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Osprey, or any of the other big backpack manufacturers' products are unsuitable?  

Mountain Hardwear has a discount program for which you likely qualify, and the discounts are very good.  

If you go to an REI store they will professionally fit the pack to your body, which will make a world of difference after there are several miles behind you.

If you just want the look, join the military.  

Examples of packs currently on sale in your size range:

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you have some sort of combat tactical position at the National Park?  

Any reason North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Osprey, or any of the other big backpack manufacturers' products are unsuitable?  

Mountain Hardwear has a discount program for which you likely qualify, and the discounts are very good.  

If you go to an REI store they will professionally fit the pack to your body, which will make a world of difference after there are several miles behind you.

If you just want the look, join the military.  

Examples of packs currently on sale in your size range:

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
View Quote
First off I'm a Federal police officer on the Texas Mexico border we do have drug runners in this area not much but still have them I also have bear and lions here.

Why I did not look at any of the companies you asked about because they make gear for people who don't wear body armor or have a pistol on there hip.

I have a Kelty Redwing great bag but it is very uncomfortable when you have a vest on as it was not designed for people with vests also it interferes with my pistol.

Durability is an issue also I'm in Texas desert never been there just about everything here is trying to poke, prick,sting, bite or rip you open. The light fabric does not hold up well in this area and was told this by Rangers that have worked this area for 10+ years.

Also the comments about if I want military style gear I should join. I did my 4 years did three tours in Iraq as Marine machine gunner have a  Purple Heart, Combat action and many other metals! I think I earned the right to have as much military looking gear as I want!

Next none of the pack you offered are designed to hold a rifle! I guess maybe you feel that Police officers should not have rifles?

I want a pack that is designed for what I need it for the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, I'm not sure what your job or capacity is, but if you need to go fully concealed, that Stone Glacier R3 is one of the better ones I've seen on the market.  Understand that accessibility will not be quick, but it does disappear inside a very normal looking backpack.  All of these packs are pretty heavy, so as long as you now the packs will weight around 7-8 pounds along with a similar weight AR/SBR, you have 15-16 pounds on your back before you even start adding your base weight.  Again, not an issue if you're willing and capable of carrying it, just understand the weight additions.

ROCK6
View Quote
I'm a Federal police officer in a park on the Texas/Mexican border also have lion and bear here.

I have also been looking at the weight issue also as you said a lot of the packs alone weigh a lot. The hikes I'm going to use this for are not going to be days on end but I also don't want a 100 lbs pack to have to carry around with me all the time.

This pack is going to be more like my EDC going to have a good first aid kit be able to hold two 100 oz hydration bladders. Few magazines rifle and pistol maybe 100 rounds on boxes for pistol and rifle, extra socks, folding shovel, Axe, survive kit, depending on what time of the year it is a light weight coat or rain gear, last is going to be food maybe some stripped down MRE's or a few Mountain House meals.

Not going to have much in the pack but will be buying several Load cells so it's easy to swap out items I might need.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my keltys falcon 4k..fir two reasons.
Built and functions as milstlye ruck 
But has the suspension features of a civy pack.
There's better out there I know. But I'm going on 8 years of use with no problems......
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out EXO Mountain Gear.

I cried once, but I've been smiling ever since.
Super light, tough, ergonomic.

https://exomountaingear.com/product-category/packs/
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the slow process of building a kifaru pack. I was given the mountain rambler pack when I ordered my tipi so I figure I might as well put it together. It's going to be heavier than a lightweight backpacking pack, but also much sturdier. The one thing I'm excited about is being able to add or remove pockets to the frame as I see fit based on the season and length of the trip.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out EXO Mountain Gear.

I cried once, but I've been smiling ever since.
Super light, tough, ergonomic.

https://exomountaingear.com/product-category/packs/
View Quote
That's a nice pack also what size do you own? Also how well does it conceal an AR-15?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm a Federal police officer in a park on the Texas/Mexican border also have lion and bear here.

I have also been looking at the weight issue also as you said a lot of the packs alone weigh a lot. The hikes I'm going to use this for are not going to be days on end but I also don't want a 100 lbs pack to have to carry around with me all the time.

This pack is going to be more like my EDC going to have a good first aid kit be able to hold two 100 oz hydration bladders. Few magazines rifle and pistol maybe 100 rounds on boxes for pistol and rifle, extra socks, folding shovel, Axe, survive kit, depending on what time of the year it is a light weight coat or rain gear, last is going to be food maybe some stripped down MRE's or a few Mountain House meals.

Not going to have much in the pack but will be buying several Load cells so it's easy to swap out items I might need.
View Quote
It's really hard to get a single pack to cover several different mission sets.  With that said, you might want to gather up your intended gear to get a better estimate on the size.  As temps change and drop, so does your clothing layers, so some level of expansion is quite helpful.  Make sure if you get a larger (3K+ cubic inch capacity), it has the capability to compress without compromising the frame fit to avoid that sloppy feel.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's better out there I know. But I'm going on 8 years of use with no problems......
View Quote
I have one too and I didn't have to get a second mortgage for it.  Solid pack.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amron international...got mine for 270$ish. Back around 09',10.

Now go price them.....

They are kifaru terrority price wise
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

First off I'm a Federal police officer on the Texas Mexico border we do have drug runners in this area not much but still have them I also have bear and lions here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What are your coworkers using?  Do they carry a rifle?  They would be your best source of information.

...they make gear for people who don't wear body armor or have a pistol on there hip.
OK, I'm absolutely not trying to insult you or ridicule you in any way; just a word of advice from one fed worker to another.  If you will be writing reports for this job it's best if you learn there, their, and they're.  

I have a Kelty Redwing great bag but it is very uncomfortable when you have a vest on as it was not designed for people with vests also it interferes with my pistol.
OK, so use that one off duty, unless the rifle goes with you hiking off duty as well.

I want a pack that is designed for what I need it for the right tool for the job.
But you didn't tell us the job until after advice was offered.  Lay it out- we're just trying to help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's really hard to get a single pack to cover several different mission sets.  With that said, you might want to gather up your intended gear to get a better estimate on the size.  As temps change and drop, so does your clothing layers, so some level of expansion is quite helpful.  Make sure if you get a larger (3K+ cubic inch capacity), it has the capability to compress without compromising the frame fit to avoid that sloppy feel.  

ROCK6
View Quote
I hear you on the one pack for so many missions. My supervisor carries 4 packs in his vehicle a long with several boots. He is an old school Marine main pack for him is his large Alice pack that he loves and have the feeling he will never give it up other packs he has is one dedicated to medical as he is an EMT ( I know I will also need a dedicated medical also.) He has one bag that he has all his evidence collection gear in that is a small day pack and last a hydration pack.

Not going to say it does not get cold in the desert as I have seen photos of snow and I feel that is where the load cells will come in handy keep ones labeled in the back of the vehicle for colder weather.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What are your coworkers using?  Do they carry a rifle?  They would be your best source of information.

OK, I'm absolutely not trying to insult you or ridicule you in any way; just a word of advice from one fed worker to another.  If you will be writing reports for this job it's best if you learn there, their, and they're.  

OK, so use that one off duty, unless the rifle goes with you hiking off duty as well.

But you didn't tell us the job until after advice was offered.  Lay it out- we're just trying to help.
View Quote
No your not here to help told what I needed and was mocked by you! Told if I want military I need to join it by you! Kind of sucks you told that to a war Vet!

I said what I was looking for so why do you feel you need to question what I want and need? Are you paying for it?

Made an ass of yourself with the whole military deal should of just left it as is but then you attacked my spelling! Really low on your part attack someone who is a war Vet! Then when he points it out you attack something else!

Your mom and dad must be proud of you! Next time if I write anything please keep you $0.02 out of it as I have no respect for a man that can't admit he was wrong!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No your not here to help told what I needed and was mocked by you! Told if I want military I need to join it by you! Kind of sucks you told that to a war Vet!

I said what I was looking for so why do you feel you need to question what I want and need? Are you paying for it?

Made an ass of yourself with the whole military deal should of just left it as is but then you attacked my spelling! Really low on your part attack someone who is a war Vet! Then when he points it out you attack something else!

Your mom and dad must be proud of you! Next time if I write anything please keep you $0.02 out of it as I have no respect for a man that can't admit he was wrong!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, from one 20 year war vet to another ? year war vet- chill.

You never mentioned what you do, or anything about your background.  We're not mind readers.  I also didn't 'attack' your spelling, I merely critiqued your grammar as it is something you will need in your government job.  I retired after 20 years and now work for the DoD myself, and they put a lot of emphasis on writing skills.  Yours are lacking and it's not something about which you need to be hostile; it was mentioned as advice from one 54ish year old vet/gov employee to a younger vet.  As they say, the only difference between a fool and a wise man is the wise man desires to learn, while the fool relishes in his foolishness.  

There are a lot of war vets on this forum.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a TAD fast pack edc I'm selling. It's an awesome assault pack. You couldn't fit a rifle inside the bag but it has a beaver tail that folds down and is made to carry a rifle.

I have had it for about 5 years and it has seen military field use but there is nothing wrong with it. I got a TAD lite speed and don't use this one anymore. It's coyote brown. If this is against the rules then mods can delete it I guess. Just trying to get rid of stuff I don't need and trying to help out a fellow arfcommer with good deal on great piece of gear.

ETA: my pack is a little smaller than your size preference. Tad is a 30l bag
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you looked at the old USMC ILBE rucksack. It's made by arcteryx and while you could put a rifle in the main compartment broken down,you could also strap the rifle to the outside of the pack. However I think wearing a duty belt and using the hip belt from the pack at the same time are going to be a problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]
https://us.directactiongear.com/packs-and-bags/backpacks/ghost-backpack#44

it's a little smaller than you wanted, but I use this pack. I use the area between the compartments for storing things externally that I may need quicker access to/use more often. It frees up a lot of internal space doing so. It's basically one large compartment with a separate smaller compartment for organization of smaller things.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Kifaru MMR, GREAT pack..... not the best for the sbr stowage.... but carries weight like nobodies business...... Best waist belt in the industry IMO.

also have an Eberlestock F4 Terminator, carries weight very well, hides an sbr very well, dang near indestructible.... would be a great choice for you.... highly recommend.

also have and is my goto pack at this point in my life, Eberlestock J51 Warhammer. does all of the above VERY well, and is expandable and compressible to meet changing needs. along with this pack, I have a Little brother pack and a spike camp duffle.....its an external frame pack and is a beast of solid. This would be my choice for the mission you've defined.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
So...  are you a war vet?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Another idea would be to get a law tactical folding stock and put it on a SBR. I bet you could get that in a normal backpack. It might not be quick to deploy though.

I had an eberlestock terminator with the tactical weapons scabbard. It was not as functional as I thought it would be. The front and back of the scabbard with padding slid into a sleeve in the pack consisiting of 2 more layers of material. It was so bulky that there was almost no room left in the pack. If I did pack the pack after that then it would put so much pressure on the scabbard that I could not pull the gun out easily anyways.

After that I decided if I ever did that again I would either strap the gun to the pack or just pack the gun in the pack if it was small enough.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he might be a war Vet!
With poor communication skills!
Go back and read your OP, then you will know why all the questions!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
My question is if you're going to be using the pack and rifle for duty in what can be a pretty dangerous area, why do you want the rifle inside the pack?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
This would be my suggestion as well. The go light crowd bags will not hold up to doing all the junk that goes along with your daily work life. The Kelty Falcon 4K is tough but still on the lighter side of that toughness. Kelty also has excellent customer service if you ever required a replacement part. I run their Eagle bag as my backpacking setup and wouldn't have it any other way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top