Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 8:29:35 PM EDT
Newb prepper here.

Emergency Car Bag
I'm wanting to put together a basic emergency car kit for both our cars.  My first step is finding a cheap gym bag.  I looked at a few of the retail chains locally but I'm looking at $20.   Anywhere online to find a better deal?  My only condition is that I'm wanting black to match the cars interior.

72 Hour Bag
I'm also looking to put together a basic 72 hour kit for everyone in the house.  Same question on the bag, but not stuck on any particular color.  I'm just looking for a very basic setup now that I will probably expand on later.  Should I use a gym bag or backpack?  I'm thinking doing this on a budget, that I could get a gym bag that can hold more for less money.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Salvation army / thrift store
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Every year, my church rummage sale has a whole stack of give away bags from conventions.  Baseball giveaways, etc.
Soft side briefcases, messenger bags, etc.  Some of this stuff shows up at thrift stores too, and maybe at the Flea Market.

I actually have some of my trunk gear stowed in a little six pack cooler.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not get a gym bag, you may have to carry it for a long distance. Get a backpack.

Do not worry about the color. Put it in a garbage bag. First, it gives it a level of being waterproof and second, nobody would give it a second look.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Salvation army / thrift store

This. Or look go hit up garage sales. I found one this weekend and got 7 gym type bags for $2. I use them to make BOB's and GHB's for gifts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do not get a gym bag, you may have to carry it for a long distance. Get a backpack.

Do not worry about the color. Put it in a garbage bag. First, it gives it a level of being waterproof and second, nobody would give it a second look.

Yes, yes.  A back pack is the way to go if you are going to walk any distance at all. Like more than a mile or two you arms are going to give out quick. I work about an hour from home and I am setting up a back pack with enough stuff for a 3-4 day stealth walk. If I am lucky I'll make it home.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes.  A back pack is the way to go if you are going to walk any distance at all. Like more than a mile or two you arms are going to give out quick. I work about an hour from home and I am setting up a back pack with enough stuff for a 3-4 day stealth walk. If I am lucky I'll make it home.

While i agree with these guys a backpack is the way to go especially if any real chance of walking with this kit exist.

I bought a couple of these exact bags from academy sports for like $17~ a couple years ago they hold two AR's an AK and a little gear too.
They've held up fine and i use them all the time

not my auction not recommending the person just showing you the exact bag i use etc etc ..........

Sorry, linking to ongoing, I.E. live auctions not permitted.  raf
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Wal-Greens has their backpacks on 75% off righrt now
I just picked up a couple of sturdy $20.00 packs for $5.00 each
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top