Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 1:19:22 PM EDT
sorry guys the question was vague i had to restate it

i am look into getting some new gear

looking for a sleeping bag for around 30 +/- degrees

the pack i would like to find would be around 3000 cubic inches, i currentally have a surplus ruck that i have used for a long time but need to upgrade to something waterproof, so something similar or larger in size would be perfect, it will be for a 3 to 4 day bug

i am in the market for a good folding stove or stand type thing that can hold a pot or whatever i am going to cook

also i am looking for a small backpack tent to add to my BOB

any recommendations on gear would be great
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out rei, kelty, mec or kifaru for pack ideas.  that should give you a good idea on what is out there at all prices.

For sleeping bags, define 'warm' and how cold is it in your area.  AL vs MN debate so to speak.

I picked up a Snugpak Merlin bag on ebay for cheap.  A tiny bit tight, but comforatble for me (6' 2" and 190#)but boy it packs small and has been good down to 45F for me and I believe it would be okay into the 30's as advertised.

Again, REI is a great place to look at a bunch of gear at once and the hippies that work there, for the most part, know their stuff.

IMO, avoid the Chinese .mil knockoff crap sold in SG, CTD, etc.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Spec-Ops The Pack for $69.99

I broke down and got me one in desert camo.  Don't have a 3 day assault pack yet.  Couldn't resist at this price (they are normally $150+).  If I need more room, I can always get some coyote molle pouches.  Plus you can use hydration bladder with this pack too.  And lifetime guarantee is good too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a marmot pounder plus which is good to 25 degrees @2.5lbs

Kifaru Zulu pack would fit your needs but spendy, I have one, worth every penny.

Pop can stove is all you need or a fire.

10 x 10 siltarp, its lighter, more versitile and you can have a fire to keep you warm right next to you.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
what type of set up for the rain though? is there a siltarp that will configure to provide ground cover in the rain so my sleeping bag wont get wet?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Carry a bivy with you, I bought the Integral designs south col bivy (long) and for a ground sheet use a heavy duty space blanket from REI or GI Joes $12.00. The best tool you can do it take a survival class which teaches you how to setup a tarp properly, not just A-frame designs. My favorate is a modified Weiland, Bombproof or modified forester which is basically setup like a tent. All require about 15 ft of paracord and a bit of knowledge of knots, specifically the taught line, half hitch, truckers hitch and a couple others. You can get the paracord way tight which is key to the setup. Without a super tight guy line the tarp will sag.

Out of all my gear the Wilderness survival in a hostile environment class was the best use of my money.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
sorry guys the question was vague i had to restate it

i am look into getting some new gear

looking for a sleeping bag for around 30 +/- degrees

the pack i would like to find would be around 3000 cubic inches, i currentally have a surplus ruck that i have used for a long time but need to upgrade to something waterproof, so something similar or larger in size would be perfect, it will be for a 3 to 4 day bug

i am in the market for a good folding stove or stand type thing that can hold a pot or whatever i am going to cook

also i am looking for a small  backpack tent to add to my BOB

any recommendations on gear would be great

check REI/CAMPMOR for the pack and sleeping bag. same goes  with the tent.

keep the bag  under 3 lbs and the tent under 3lbs... IMHO i use a sil tarp YMMV.
get your torso sized and pick a good pack fitted for you.  IMHO get one that has a frame( internal or external) NOT a frame sheet!!!

soda can stove with a home made windscreen will work  and be cheap and light.
if not get a cheap isobutane one( campgaz etc)

pack up your pack then go use it for 2-3 days. do that 2-4 times and you'll have what you need in their and all that want left at home
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]
ok ill be working on it this week and hopefully rolling out tis weekend.  

and does anyone have any good butcher diagrams for deer and pig? or just a quick to tel what parts can be eaten on any animal, i know how to skin but its hard to figure out what to  eat and what not to. (well for me lol)

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
On a deer arms and legs and backstraps (runs along the spine) On the inside up top there are tender loins and part of the neck if you wish. Pretty much anything that is red is meat, the white is fat.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
wow thanks for all the help guys any ore usefully info or tips would be sweet

i have done the hole backpack thing a number of times but i am ready to test my real skills i have permsion to go onto property and hike, hunt, and live for a few days it will be fun

i think a few of my buddies will go but they arnt all that savy and i will probably have to do all the work, but i think it will be worth it
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
wow thanks for all the help guys any ore usefully info or tips would be sweet

i have done the hole backpack thing a number of times but i am ready to test my real skills i have permsion to go onto property and hike, hunt, and live for a few days it will be fun

i think a few of my buddies will go but they arnt all that savy and i will probably have to do all the work, but i think it will be worth it

I'm doing the same thing with some buddies next summer in Montana. Make sure deer season is open in your area! I know bow season starts this coming weekend for me here in AL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#12]
crap one more thing i will have to get a deer tag
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
And some quarter bags to put the meat into. Make sure to gut and skin as soon as possible to cool the meat. Mine is being processed right now! Try for a lung shot if possible to save as much meat as possible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
My favorate is a modified Weiland, Bombproof or modified forester which is basically setup like a tent.

Can you provide any reference material for these shelter designs?
I have a pdf copy of "Tarp-shelters, an introduction by DBM", found at http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm , but of the shelter types you mentioned I only found the Forrester (not modified?).

Since you have experience and recommend a few specific types I'd like to try them.

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top