Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/20/2018 5:10:45 PM EDT
So next month I'm going to Asheville NC for training for 12 weeks next month. I was looking for advice on the area as I'm coming from the desert. I wanted to know should I pick up waterproof boots or keep my desert boot?

Any advice would be great! I'm also bringing my Father's day gift a 16 week old puppy she is great desert dog I can run her off leash and she can take all the desert thorns and sticks in her paws! Since she is going to be my buddy I need to make sure she gets enough social interaction!

Thanks for the advice and help!
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:33:00 PM EDT
It's a very liberal place.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:38:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:28:00 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:Prepare for ticks, chiggers, and poison ivy.
View Quote
and dirty hippster hippy beggars

but seriously, it's a very nice place and the Appalachian Trail is beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2018 8:37:03 PM EDT by Thunder_Stick]
Tour the Biltmore house, take the behind the seens tour. The gun room is amazing
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:33:31 PM EDT
Eat at the Asiana Grand Buffet
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:51:11 PM EDT
Thank me later, but go get a Peach-Habanero beer at Wicked Weed Brewing Company...seriously!

My wife and I spent a few days there while I was home on R&R. We like the area and while the city itself is pretty liberal, it's not "in your face" whacko. Food and beer are great. We sort of stumbled onto beer week a few years back coming off the Appalachian trail. It's also a very dog-friendly city.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2018 8:56:07 PM EDT by Mike_Miller]
Originally Posted By Thunder_Stick:
Eat at the Asiana Grand Buffet
View Quote

IM me
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:07:37 PM EDT
I'm going to be going to field training not sure what national park I'll be in just told Blue Ridge Parkway that is it and Asheville is where I'm to report.

I'm looking for dog friendly places I also would not mind meeting some of you all for a shoot!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:48:15 PM EDT
don't forget the appalachian ghost walks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:09:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:14:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Smitty357:
don't forget the appalachian ghost walks!
View Quote
That sounds cool! Might look that up!
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:38:47 PM EDT
The Blue Ridge Parkway is actually part of the NPS. It and Great Smoky Mountains NP are like the two most visited in the country each year.

You will absolutely need rain gear. If you're going to be doing some classes in the field, you'll absolutely want waterproof boots, a rain jacket, rain pants, and a baseball cap to keep your hood propped up. If you're working for the government, will they issue you some stuff?

I worked outside at a Boy Scout camp in another part of western NC for several years, so I've got an idea of what to expect.

Take the time to study a field guide of some sort to understand what trees, plants, rocks, and animals you're looking at. Maybe look into reading up on the history of the Cherokee, the pioneers, and the early preservation of the area to gain an appreciation. Look up the name Horace Kephart.

I would suggest visiting Mount Mitchell and some of the other major peaks around there. Maybe consider going as far north as Linville Gorge.

Have fun! It sounds like you have a cool job.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:15:27 AM EDT
Here's my take on waterproof boots and I'm sure some will disagree. I cannot stand them. I hike with shoes that are breathable so when they get soaked they will dry out. If the water goes over your boots they stay wet. This time of year it's getting hot and humid and you need all the help with gear drying out on it's own.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:17:53 AM EDT
Its full of rich honkeys. Lots of shit to do. Go see the biltmore. Eat some biscuits. Drink many micro brews.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:28:31 PM EDT
Pack's Tavern just off the Renaissance parking lot. Good chow.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:56:12 PM EDT
So first day here wow people are rude here and traffic sucks!

So where would you go for your birthday dinner around here? It's my birthday Tuesday but don't want to get plastered the day before I start Field training.

Looking for a great steak or BBQ! I'd make my own steak but don't have a grill yet!
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:23:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tayous1:
So first day here wow people are rude here and traffic sucks!

So where would you go for your birthday dinner around here? It's my birthday Tuesday but don't want to get plastered the day before I start Field training.

Looking for a great steak or BBQ! I'd make my own steak but don't have a grill yet!
View Quote
Yeah, I grew up outside of Asheville and it's changed for the worse. The traffic is a nightmare and the people are just plain militant, liberal assholes. If we visit the inlaws we have to drive through Asheville on 26 and then 40. I won't even consider driving between 4 and 7 in the evening; it's a parking lot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:15:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2018 8:16:15 AM EDT by Mannlicher]
just spent 4 days there. It's insanely expensive, has horrible traffic. It's full of weirdos and it's a sanctuary city. Not a place I enjoyed.
We wanted to see the Biltmore, but tickets were $75 bucks a head. We left the line and went to a bar instead. Drinks were $14. Stupid.
Top Top