Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 5:53:15 PM EDT
I have quite a bit of freeze dried foods, canned foods, and some MRE's. When storing things in bulk like rice, dried beans, and wheat, what equipment do you use to store it in, and what method do you you use? I'm really starting to get into the long term food storage and would really appreciate any help!

- I have a pressure canner as well. Will things like meat and veggies store for very long after being pressure canned? I'm able to keep them cool and in a dark place-Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:59:41 PM EDT
I vaccum seal all my stuff; and store it in 5gal buckets.

I match up what I put into the bucket with recipes; so that I am not opening 5 gals of wheat, etc at a time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:00:00 PM EDT
Freeze the bulk food for a few days to kill off any eggs.

Store it inside 5 gallon buckets with mylar bags.  Stick some O2 absorbers in there and seal it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZkiU1fUtsE
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:58:57 AM EDT

Quoted:
I have quite a bit of freeze dried foods, canned foods, and some MRE's. When storing things in bulk like rice, dried beans, and wheat, what equipment do you use to store it in, and what method do you you use? I'm really starting to get into the long term food storage and would really appreciate any help!
- I have a pressure canner as well. Will things like meat and veggies store for very long after being pressure canned? I'm able to keep them cool and in a dark place-Thanks

you will need-
your grain of choice(or other dry good)
5 gallon bucket ( new or  used food bucket)
mylar bags of choice( i use 20x30)
O2 absorbers ( you will need 1500-2000cc per bucket)
a flat edge ( 2x4,level,book etc)
a clothing iron.

how to seal the bags
and how to pack them

im in a plug my own stuff mood...so hope the above links help.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top