Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 12:44:42 PM EDT
I'm new to the hobby and have started listening to the local repeaters to pick up the lingo.  I have an older Radio Shack Pro-43 scanner that seems to work pretty well for listening.  I also have a Motorola CP-200 that has been programmed for a few of the local repeaters and while sometimes I can hear a full conversation on the scanner, the CP-200 audio will go on and off, but the receive LED stays on...almost like it's muting output or the signal is below the squelch level or something.

I do have the CPS software to adjust/program the radio, but I'm not sure if this is a setting or just limitations of the HT receiver or antenna compared to the scanner.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Dollars to donuts you have your receive squelch tone turned on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You are probably correct.  When I set up the channels, I set the squelch type to TPL and set the freq for both receive and transmit.  Should I set the receive to CSQ instead?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not sure the nomenclature on that radio but you want tx tone, no rx tone or tone squelch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Changed to CSQ from TPL on Receive and now it's doing what I expected...just like the scanner.  Thanks!

Damn you guys are good (and fast)!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Might want to check the Moto is set for wide band (25 kHz) and not narrow band (12.5 kHz).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top