Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2007 9:25:36 PM EDT
Anyone else experience this?  I have not bought chokes for it yet, but this is a significant issue for my wife and older son's laptops.  I'm guessing it is generating RFI for the radio, too, but I have not definitively investigated this.  Power level doesn't seem to matter.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
SWAG would be cheaply constructed / poorly shielded IF circuitry in the router.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That's my guess, too.  Some web research turns up similar type comments, but it is usually the other way around.  The router generates noise for the radio.  I think I got problems both ways.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably the only way to resolve it would be to either build in more shielding to the unit, or what would probably be easier is to simply enclose the unit in a metal box (faraday cage) and filter all connections inside the box to keep HF frequencies in/out.  I have no experience in filtering the network connections, but a 2.4GHz bandpass filter on the antenna port and some ferrite beads and a capacitor on the DC power input should take care of those.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Went and bought a new router and same thing.  I've put chokes on the power cable and a bead made for data on the data cable.  

This is frustrating.  Antenna is in the attic.  Router in the basement.  Radio is in the basement on the other side of the room.  

SWR on 20m is near perfect so it should be going out clean.  I do have a constant S4-5 noise level on 20m.  Is that normal?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
  Is your routers internet connection via DSL?
Maybe the antenna upstairs is inducing RF into the
telephone line if thats the case.  Most telephone
lines consist of four twisted conductors, you might need
to run shielded telephone wire, or you can put the antenna
outside to reduce nearfield interference.  And on HF
that much interference is likely, especially with an indoor antenna.
I don't even use my HF rig at home anymore,
due to heavy RFI and EMI on our road.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
What frequency are you transmitting on?

One of the oddest RFI (radio frequency interferance) stories I ever read was about a guy whose garage door would open when he transmitted on 40 meters.

Turns out the lead from the door opener switch by the kitchen -> garage door was an exact 1/4 wavelength of the frequency he used! This allowed significant amoutns of RF into the receiver unit, overpowering the filters.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
  Is your routers internet connection via DSL?
Maybe the antenna upstairs is inducing RF into the
telephone line if thats the case.  Most telephone
lines consist of four twisted conductors, you might need
to run shielded telephone wire, or you can put the antenna
outside to reduce nearfield interference.  And on HF
that much interference is likely, especially with an indoor antenna.
I don't even use my HF rig at home anymore,
due to heavy RFI and EMI on our road.  

DSL = Yes.  
I do plan on moving the antenna up and lay it on the roof when the weather cools off.  Shingles are too soft to walk on now.  It is near the DSL modem (few inches).  I'll try a choke on the dsl phone line.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]
  Is the telephone line  run to your house underground (buried),
or is it a drop from a nearby utility pole?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
  Is the telephone line  run to your house underground (buried),
or is it a drop from a nearby utility pole?

Buried
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top