Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 3:12:03 PM EDT
I've been looking recently at some of  the liquid fuel stoves and lanterns.  I've always been put off by them - they're heavy & bulky, especially the Coleman's that you see everywhere.  

But I've also seen some of the runtime numbers, and those seem impressive, and I'm also intrigued by the prospect of using Unleaded in the dual-fuel models.

Right now, I've got Propane and Propane/Butane mix units, with the Propane stuff being relatively larger.  

Is the run time really that much longer on the liquid fuel stuff?  What are the other advantages to a dual-fuel or multifuel stove/lantern?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been looking at the duel fuel stoves and lanterns also. Mainly for bug in situations and the few car camping I do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
check out

www.minibulldesign.com

for some cool stuff regarding stoves and the Heinie cook pot

gotta love Tinny....

got videos?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a MSR whisperlite international, I use white gas that I buy by the gallon in the coleman metal cans when i'm camping, but like knowing that if needed, it can burn nearly anything.

I carry a 22oz bottle and on weekend trips for 2 people i've never run out, i've only used it in temperate climates however and never had to melt snow or anything of the sort.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Optimus Nova.

I have successfully used Diesel, Kerosene, Gasoline. (I prefer Kerosene). I store the fuel in 1L fuel bottles (designed for backpackers) and I think it is the best multi-fuel stove ever invented. I have used it alot. I've had occasional issues with wind but the included wind-shield (or anything else used as a wind-break) solves that. It is a single-burner stove, I have no issues brewing coffee in a 9 cup percolator, boiling water, cooking large entrees, etc...I have used about 1L of kerosene every 3 days cooking at least (2) full meals a day for (3) people plus boiling water for cleaning and washing as well as making coffee morning and night.

I have owned a few multi-fuel stoves but I don't think I'll need to own another.

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
  I use a MSR Simmerlite white gas stove for backpacking. In the summer I can get by on 3 oz. or less a day. I use more in the winter just because you're heating up colder water and making more hot drinks. Not a fan of canister stoves in cold weather, but you shouldn't have that problem where you are.

Surprisingly, I do get into some cold areas.  In Az, you go up high to beat the heat.  We were below freezing on the first trip of the year, in May @ 8000+ ft ASL.  So I have experienced the cold effects on cannister stoves.  (I'm also originally from the midwest)

I think I'm going to pick up a multifuel stove for this next trip.  I'm on a diet, so I'm not eating with everyone else, so I'd be cooking my own food anyway.  (Those guys are going to suffer, I'm usually the camp cook. )

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
check out

www.minibulldesign.com

for some cool stuff regarding stoves and the Heinie cook pot

gotta love Tinny....

got videos?

I love watching those vids. The designs he comes up with are great. Definitely worth a look imo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top