Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 8:21:03 AM EDT
After discussing preparedness with my wife over the last year or so she has finally come onboard.  All it took was the Dems/Republicans bickering, stock market tanking again, and her reading an article in Parenting(really one article and she's onboard).
Starting to bet BOB ready for the family(one for each)
Hoping for the best, prepare for the worst.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Consider your wife coming on board a major accomplishment. Providing for your family and preparing for the future by stocking food, water, guns, ammunition can be percieved by others that you are overreacting and it is nice that you don't have to convince your wife that you aren't a nutjob. Attempt to make preparedness a way of life and not just a temporary fling and you will be much better able to deal with large or small emergencies throughout your life. 2 is one and 1 is none
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking over the posted threads and topics, totally agree with the rule of 3's.  The wife also took a firearms class this summer and is picking up her CCW permit this week.  She's already convinced that we need to move out to the country and get a decent sized acreage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome aboard!!!
The downside rick of preparedness is Zero,
Where as the downside rick of not being
prepared is immeasurable!!!

Be prepared!
Hope for the best!
Plan for the worst!
Just don't be paranoid about it!

Both of these are on a card in my wallet.
For more years the I like to count!

PITA45

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Start slow and steady. If you try to do it all at once you'll go broke and crazy. Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Start slow and steady. If you try to do it all at once you'll go broke and crazy. Just my $0.02

I'll second this....spend a few extra dollars each time you go grocery shopping and get extra stuff that you normally eat.....and start rotating in some stuff you may not normally eat to get used to it like SPAM.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

mine, too.  

welcome to the survival forum.    in addition to the stocking up, make sure y'all train...  first aid, repair of your stuff, etc.  simple skills are becoming rare.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do what you can, when you can.  Anything you can accomplish only helps you in the long run.  And it doesn't have to be monetary either, you don't have to just buy, buy, buy... You can work on Bug Out routes, survival preparedness for the wild, inventoring your running list of supplies with dates so you can rotate food and water as applicable, physical fitness.  There is alot more, I am just throwing some examples out there.  I try to obtain supplies when my budget allows it, the rest of the time I work on other things that will help.

Welcome, and I look forward to reading your posts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
IN BEFORE PA22-400!!!!!              WELCOME!!!   Look and listen here and you will find alot of GREAT ideas on where you need to go with your preps.   Glad your family is now onboard!  and again... WELCOME!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Do a little every week. Start by buying what you normally use, just more of it. Plan for your storage space and the best way to rotate your stocks over time.

Lots of good info here.

And welcome.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome aboard Siemens2.......these guys are great on here, tons of great info and advice.  I've learned a trmendous amount in a short period of time.

In before PA-22 AND Echo!!

NH_Patriot (Rookie of the Year 2011)
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#11]
nice.

however due to inflation, you will have to spend about 20-30% more than if you had been in the game for the last 10 years.

but it's ok, better late than never.  

if the wife complains about you dropping $1000 a month to play catch up, tell her it's the tax for complacency.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been called out...OP I hope this post helps.  Take a little time to read some threads because many of your questions may have been already talked about.  I do heartily recommend that you read page one of the Fuel Can Oracle before you buy any fuel storage containers.

Quoted:
nice.

however due to inflation, you will have to spend about 20-30% more than if you had been in the game for the last 10 years.

I do not agree.  The most preparations are almost free.

Welcome to the SF

Do you have a plan for;
fire?
severe weather?
pregnancy?
job loss?
vehicle loss?

Making a plan will only cost the time and paper to write it on.  A plan will enable you to organize your actions and purchases in the future.

Quoted:
Prepare for the most likely first and the least likely last.
The more you plan on the most likely, it will surprise you how much of the least likely will address its self.

So you ask; what is the most likely event?

Quoted:
Start by thinking back over the last 20 years of your life and what emergencies you faced. Things like:

flood
loss of employment
fire
tornado
blizzard
loss of electricity
car died out on the road (happened to me tonight 15 miles out of town - 15 degrees and very windy out)
etc.

these are things that will probably happen again. take steps to deal with those problems first.

How should you live your life now that you are a survivalist?
Quoted:
Live like "it" will never happen, prep like "it" will.

Who’s who of the SF (please forgive me if I don’t spell all the names perfectly)
Frank Squid—posts occasionally one of the founders or the founder of SF
TomJefferson(TJ)—top moderator of SF and poster SF family.  TJ is a great source of wisdom and stories.
Paul—suburban SFing and expedition offroading.
Halffast—author of some well known fiction
Feral—homesteading or farming.
frozenny—financial survival.
Protus—apartment survivalism and outdoor skills
die-tryin(dt or DT)—poster BOV of  SF
Ops—lived SF for decades, poster SF family
biere—general knowledge
donne3—mom to a bunch of SFers
CJan_NH—generator use and the poster AR15 spare parts kit
Skibane—knows something about EMP and flashlights
shibumiseeker—modern homesteading, off grid living, and BOVs

There are others, but I have not caught the above posters posting trash or foolishness.

Acronym translator;
SF—this survival forum
BOB—Bug Out Bag; also BHB—Bug Home Bag
BOV—Bug Out vehicle
IMHO—In My Humble Opinion
YMMV—Your Mileage May Vary
WttSFp—this post

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Better late than never..

Welcome.  there's a lot of good stuff here.  Attend a campout in your area and get to know some folks.  Some of the best folks I know I met on this board.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#14]
her reading an article in Parenting(really one article and she's onboard).

I would love to have a link and or the month of the magazine with that article.  If you don't mind.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll find it when I get home, very basic on just 3 day kit but it got the ball rolling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top