Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2013 9:30:31 AM EDT
The site won't let me copy/paste anything from it. But it say's that all canneries west of the Mississippi are to shut down June 27th 2013.  Can any of the LDS members confirm or deny this?  If this is fake, please Mods delete it then.   But I've received several emails from friends who have found this same info on several other boards.

LDS Canneries to halt canning June 2013 west of Miss.

Edited: From what I'm reading, it may no longer be a do it yourself operation to help keep costs down but now only a store front operation due to new regulations.  Like I said, if it's wrong/false.

5/6/2013
So it looks like the info is pretty correct.  I called the Akron cannery over the weekend and they said the same thing.  There will be items subtracted from the buy list, but many will still be available for a higher cost as walk in or online ordering.  They're still trying to figure out what the rules are going to be.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Please see my last post in the "Retirement" thread.

Seems like this is a case of the...

"Engineered Destruction of the LDS Food Prepping Facilities"

When will it stop???

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't get the link to work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The site won't let me copy/paste anything from it. But it say's that all canneries west of the Mississippi are to shut down June 27th 2013.  Can any of the LDS members confirm or deny this?  If this is fake, please Mods delete it then.   But I've received several emails from friends who have found this same info on several other boards.

LDS Canneries to halt canning June 2013 west of Miss.

Edited: From what I'm reading, it may no longer be a do it yourself operation to help keep costs down but now only a store front operation due to new regulations.  Like I said, if it's wrong/false.

Link does nto work for me wither,
however, a quick google search say canneries EAST of the Mississippi, not WEST.

also, I can find only one source, 'thewiseprepper'
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend spoke with the Naperville IL. cannery and they are not going to let people can their own goods anymore beginning in June.

He booked a final canning session right away.

Eta: this has been in the works for some time. The LDS leadership is centralizing canning operations. You'll still be able to order / pick up #10 cans of beans / rice / whatever - just no more group canning get togethers at the canneries. I don't know if you'll be able to buy bulk supplies / giant bags of rice / beans from the canneries. I'd imagine you still would be able to.

I'll know more in a few days and will post an update.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
in for 411
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I know the one in STL is closing in June.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]

COC 1) Don't do it again~ Waldo
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
They have been already closed for somewhere around a year or so here in CA. Still can buy the cases of pre-canned stuff. Something to do with FDA regs or some BS.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 2:21:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Removed~Waldo
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]
The LDS cannery in Richmond, Virginia (in June) will cease letting individuals can foods themselves. My understanding, they will still sell dry bulk foods (i.e 50 pounds bags) and will accept orders for #10 can orders packed by LDS cannery staff. I don't know what the costs will be for the latter.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 4:25:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I read the article.

Due to FDA and Ag regulations the cost to run the facilities have increased to the point that they cant save any money DIY.

The feds are also closely monitoring their orchards and generally harrasing the LDS

Remind you guys of anything?
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I read the article.

Due to FDA and Ag regulations the cost to run the facilities have increased to the point that they cant save any money DIY.

The feds are also closely monitoring their orchards and generally harrasing the LDS

Remind you guys of anything?

It does, but refresh my memory anyways  (I'm not able to recall what it reminds me of at the moment)
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess it hasn't been officially announced by the church.  Might be interesting to see what happens.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Staunch Mormon prepper, but still came here looking for "Miss June 2013"

Also- good thing my neighbors and I bought that #10 canning machine when we did ...
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Canned in Ohio last week.  First time there.  Awsome people, not pushy or anything.  Said a prayer before hand and canned up a whole lot of goods.  The workers there said that it will not be a cannery sometime around June or July.  They will still let members buy from them, but it will be the precanned stuff.   Have to head back a few more times before hand
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#18]
The one in Plant City Florida stopped letting people self-can in 2012 and they eliminated a TON of their good food items like the dried onions, dried fruit, dried carrots and other stuff.  Now all they got is very basic staples like flour, hard red and hard white wheat, oatmeal, rice and stuff like that.  I guess I'll have to order from Honeyville Farms or other places like that.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Canned in Ohio last week.  First time there.  Awsome people, not pushy or anything.  Said a prayer before hand and canned up a whole lot of goods.  The workers there said that it will not be a cannery sometime around June or July.  They will still let members buy from them, but it will be the precanned stuff.   Have to head back a few more times before hand

Some friends and I went to the one in Akron a couple years back and they were fantastic people.  By the time we left we were actually TIRED of talking to people about food storage - just a awesome experience.  Sucks this is happening, but I guess it's for "our safety"
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#20]
A friend of mine is in charge of a LDS cannery in the southeast and he has just confirmed to me that as of July 1 2013, there will be no more canning, just sales of the pre-canned items. I do not have any further information, but fwiw, they have seen a LOT of nonmembers canning a LOT of product (as in >$1k) in the last year or so. (my friend believes this to be a good thing and is always (rightly imo) bragging about the service he provides to the community- "everyone that is prepared is one less to take care of in a crisis")
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#21]
The cannery here USED to be a heavily used facility.  The usage has dropped off so much the last few months, there is talk of closing it.  The wet pack was closed due to heavy govt interference resulting in HUGE amounts of canned food being thrown away.  Unfortunately, we are being regulated out of the "service based" canneries and the Church is setting up large industrial canning operations to replace them and comply with all the new USDA crap.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The cannery here USED to be a heavily used facility.  The usage has dropped off so much the last few months, there is talk of closing it.  The wet pack was closed due to heavy govt interference resulting in HUGE amounts of canned food being thrown away.  Unfortunately, we are being regulated out of the "service based" canneries and the Church is setting up large industrial canning operations to replace them and comply with all the new USDA crap.

Sooo, the LDS are giving the them an even BIGGER target to come after and destroy.

When will this stop? Oh wait...

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I am sort of amazed they managed to avoid government regulations that they clearly were subject to for so long.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I am going to call the Carrolton location today to see what their situation is. I dont normally pack in #10 cans as i do the mylar and 55gal drums but i might do it now just so i can have my shorter term food boosted even longer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am sort of amazed they managed to avoid government regulations that they clearly were subject to for so long.

They have always complied with all government regulations.  New regulations have made it too burdensome/expensive to save any money by DIY, so they are stopping some aspects of their opperations.

I was at the MD facility last week.  The guy there exlplained that they will no longer sell bulk (25 lb bags) of anything.  The large scale canners will not be available for use anymore.
The small ones are still available to check out and use at home.
All food storage that they sell will be pre-packaged, #10 cans.
He referred to this as a "pilot program" and said that for now, it only applies in the eastern US.  It will probably become general policy eventually.

According to the guy I spoke to, they are trying to comply with a law that requires all food to be tracable to its source.  If there is a contamination incident, they can look at the code on the can and determine not only what field it came from, but what seciton of the field.  It is to make recalls easier.  This would be very difficult to comply with.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Guess it's time to stock up then. I see their website have the cases of #10 cans in stock. Anyone have any experience with them? I received a starter case a couple years back as part of the gift exchange. Set it aside for just in case.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Making all food traceable to the source.

Brilliant, I wonder who thought that up to help destroy our economy while the Sheeple jump up and down and cheer for the idea to protect their 'safety' like a bunch of retards on a drum set.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Guess it's time to stock up then. I see their website have the cases of #10 cans in stock. Anyone have any experience with them? I received a starter case a couple years back as part of the gift exchange. Set it aside for just in case.

Yes, i have ordered from the website 9before i found out there was a local cannery.

The only problem I had was with the shipping. - it is included in the price, but
Wheat berries are heavy and FedEx threw my boxes around and dented the cans.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have ordered a number of times...all went well. Will do again.
FB
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I called the Oklahoma City location today, they weren't open, but I will call again tomorrow when they are open. I also have an email off to a friend who is LDS, asking them to ask their dad about this, since their dad is an Elder or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am going to call the Carrolton location today to see what their situation is. I dont normally pack in #10 cans as i do the mylar and 55gal drums but i might do it now just so i can have my shorter term food boosted even longer.

I know a while back several of us were talking of a group trip.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#32]
This is a huge frustration to me. I canned 400-500 pounds of food at our local facility so far this year.

Also, In before the Bama-Shooter socialized federal food processing campaign starts.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The recorded message says "Canning Sessions available Wed. at 9:30 and 11:30" but I couldn't get anyone on the line to confirm. I haven't been out there in a while but I've never needed to set up an appointment. I know that some locations require you to schedule ahead of time but Carrollton has always been great - flexible and nice folks to work with. Hopefully they find a way to keep it that way...

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Brilliant, I wonder who thought that up to help destroy our economy while the Sheeple jump up and down and cheer for the idea to protect their 'safety' like a bunch of retards on a drum set.

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that the government is so focused on being able to trace food, yet we have millions of illegal aliens running rampant all over the country?
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that the government is so focused on being able to trace food, yet we have millions of illegal aliens running rampant all over the country?

Gotta set your priorities.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#36]
The basic staples in the #10 cans you can buy online will remain available, right? I've never actually visited an LDS cannery to pack food before. To be honest, I'm not even aware of one in my immediate area. But I do find the basic stuff they sell online to be the best value of all #10 can items available out there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#37]
BOGUS:

see : http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865579566/LDS-home-storage-centers-tweaking-cannery-policy.html
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For 96% of the folks, not even close to being on their Flat Screen Show Listing Radar.

They're asleep at the hog trough having no clue what's going to run over them.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The basic staples in the #10 cans you can buy online will remain available, right? I've never actually visited an LDS cannery to pack food before. To be honest, I'm not even aware of one in my immediate area. But I do find the basic stuff they sell online to be the best value of all #10 can items available out there.

I'm totally the opposite.  We have a cannery right off of the freeway in town.  I've never ordered any of the stuff online.  About 6 months ago, the people running hte cannery switched out their Mission and let a new couple take it over.  The old couple were waaaaay ahead on canning, they have everything canned that could be canned, predone and waiting on the shelf.  The new people adopted the policy outlined in the OP in advance, the only thing that can be purchased now is the stuff that comes prepacked from SLC (beans, rice, sugar, wheat ect), none of the extra stuff that they used to have.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have always complied with all government regulations.  New regulations have made it too burdensome/expensive to save any money by DIY, so they are stopping some aspects of their opperations.

I was at the MD facility last week.  The guy there exlplained that they will no longer sell bulk (25 lb bags) of anything.  The large scale canners will not be available for use anymore.
The small ones are still available to check out and use at home.
All food storage that they sell will be pre-packaged, #10 cans.
He referred to this as a "pilot program" and said that for now, it only applies in the eastern US.  It will probably become general policy eventually.

According to the guy I spoke to, they are trying to comply with a law that requires all food to be tracable to its source.  If there is a contamination incident, they can look at the code on the can and determine not only what field it came from, but what seciton of the field.  It is to make recalls easier.  This would be very difficult to comply with.

Date codes and lot information have long been required, and 5 or 6 years ago other rules came into effect that would be even harder to comply with for this type of operation.

There is also the issue of the general requirement that these type of operations follow GMP, although in a very technical sense it may not actually be required. However, I would be willing to bet that it would be all but impossible to train the people who are coming in to can their own stuff on these practices that are for all intents and purposes required for every other cannery.

I spend a fair amount of time in plants that process food of various types and the changes the last decade are very striking.

I can understand why they might just decide it is easier not to allow people to can their own stuff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#42]
If they were doing this in a regional or centralized location, paying folks to do it, The economies of scale and efficiency would likely more than cover the cost of the salaries. Having bulk dispensers to feed the cans, something automated to seal the cans, etc all seem like the logical way to do it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The recorded message says "Canning Sessions available Wed. at 9:30 and 11:30" but I couldn't get anyone on the line to confirm. I haven't been out there in a while but I've never needed to set up an appointment. I know that some locations require you to schedule ahead of time but Carrollton has always been great - flexible and nice folks to work with. Hopefully they find a way to keep it that way...

Keep us posted on this. I've used the Carrollton center a few times and have plans to use it more. I'm just 20 minutes away from it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I just got off the horn with OKC and they are booked for Saturdays thru July. but they still have openings for Wednesdays and Thursdays. They start at 9 a.m. and at 1 p.m. The nice lady said that they are going to try phasing out the canning altogether, and will be going to all pre-canned items. They do allow non-members.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top