Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2008 2:45:20 PM EDT
I am starting a new job as a lift operator so I thought I would use the collective knowledge that is arfcom to put together a day-to-day "go bag".
Basically the way it works is I ski to my lift and am there all day (8 hr) untill i ski out. I carry my lunch in my backpack and the rest should be free for whatever I decide to add. Depending on the lift I am anywhere from a one minute walk to a hellish half day hike (or worse depending on snow and weather) from the main lodge. At the end off the day I take the bus off the mountain. The biggest concerns are bad storms, lightning storms and power outages.
In a similar environment what would your kit contain? Keep in mind I dont have tons of room and cant carry too much weight.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest that you have some sort of shelter or means to make shelter
For me I'd go with the tarp and a cut up 1/2 gallon milk jug for shoveling snow.

Food
I'd use a small camp stove like a Coleman F1 Ultralight Stove, drink mixes and mountain house style foods. I mean you'll have snow to make water with.

Get a good spork

spare clothes

Also look up the military channels Marine Corps Survival school series. They have a winter class that will illustrate some of the skills you'll need. You can find other resources on Youtube.

Edited to add: Toilet Paper
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Home Depot and get some of the 6 Mil plastic to make a shelter out of.

May want to seriously getting a GPS..Mine came in handy in a storm when I got out of bounds at Brighton one year...

3 ways to start a fire.

I know it is big but maybe a Jetboil? You can use it to make hot chocolate/tea even if not in an emergency.

A LOUD whistle (plastic of course)

Extra socks

Do you have cell service? If so get an extra battery for your phone that you keep charged and ready to go.

I would think you would have a shovel with you anyway workign at the resort.

Also what are the avalanche possiblities like there?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending (or not) on your elevation, WATER is huge.  I was a lift operator in CO for many years, water was my best friend at 10K feet.  

Chapstick.

Handwarmers.

Face mask/ gator.

Matches.

Radio to the base/ ski patrol.

Well supplied 1st aid kit.

––VT
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Depending (or not) on your elevation, WATER is huge.  I was a lift operator in CO for many years, water was my best friend at 10K feet.  

Chapstick.

Handwarmers.

Face mask/ gator.

Matches.

Radio to the base/ ski patrol.

Well supplied 1st aid kit.

––VT

+1 and don't forget the sunscreen... between the elevation and reflective snow, you will get burned...

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Op here (sorry im at my brother's).
To answer some questions avalanche possobilities are pretty low. Elevation is roughly 7,000 asl so water is important but 10,000 is a diff ball game. I have phone lines however them being cut off during a storm is a deffinate possibility. I am not given a radio but i may get one jic. Does anyone know what type of radios are used and how much they run? I am pretty well stocked in the lift shack with a decent, but not great, first aid kit (anything else is ski patrol) a shovel, a heater etc but i may carry those things with me also incase I somehow get caught away from the lift or have to leave. May or may not have cell depending on where I am but an extra battery will deffinately be in there.
Thanks for the ideas. Keep em coming!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]
You may want to consider a small portable weather radio.

Also, if you are ever in a situation where you need to ski down in out of bounds territory, a rescue beacon may not be a bad idea, G-d forbid you get hurt or buried.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
all ski areas and ski patrol are on frequinceies that you have to have a liscences to use they are coverd by blanket certificaute by the ski resort and somtimes by the patrol themselfs. that being the case they most likly are very stingy with who gets radios. you probly wont see one.

any time there was a problem with the lift or a lift accident all you have to do is call dispacth and the route the call or pass the info over radio for you.

things you want extra of are:

2 pair of gloves. somtimes the lift snathces it right off of you hand

good water proof boots that aregood soled to( this is really impotent if you get on the bunny lifts, the custermers have know clue how to get on a lift and you will be holding longer and slidding with it to help them get on

water, water, and more water most lifteis carried a gallon jug for 8 hours shifts.

a good trail map that you write on it walk out routes and nearest roadsto get out on, along with all phone #s to impoartant ski info

cell charger

lots of asprine

hard candy along with food for two days

a blanket

a pack that dosent have a lot of straps on it so that it doesent getcought on the lift

go so ski patrol and get a couple of pairs of latex gloves for when some one cracks their head open

make freinds with shi school and defiantly ski patrol (patrol loves the liftis) most will ask if you need anything food water ect

sometimes patrol needsaplace to hideand warm up perfect time to bs and work on that relations for benifits.

if there isa problem and you have to get out because of astorm stay put wewill come and getyou with the snow mobiles

20 year patroler here mutiple resorts hope it helps,brian
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
all ski areas and ski patrol are on frequinceies that you have to have a liscences to use they are coverd by blanket certificaute by the ski resort and somtimes by the patrol themselfs. that being the case they most likly are very stingy with who gets radios. you probly wont see one.
Thats what I figured. During storms when instructed, we disconnect the phone lines and the idea of cutting off my only means of comm scares me.

any time there was a problem with the lift or a lift accident all you have to do is call dispacth and the route the call or pass the info over radio for you.

things you want extra of are:

2 pair of gloves. somtimes the lift snathces it right off of you hand

good water proof boots that aregood soled to( this is really impotent if you get on the bunny lifts, the custermers have know clue how to get on a lift and you will be holding longer and slidding with it to help them get on

water, water, and more water most lifteis carried a gallon jug for 8 hours shifts.
If I get put where I want to be I will be a pretty strong ride away the lodge, carrying a gallon of water sounds like a royal pita. Maybe bring some to drink while snow is in the shack melting?

a good trail map that you write on it walk out routes and nearest roadsto get out on, along with all phone #s to impoartant ski info

cell charger

lots of asprine

hard candy along with food for two days

a blanket

a pack that dosent have a lot of straps on it so that it doesent getcought on the lift
Haha Been there done that. Years ago.

go so ski patrol and get a couple of pairs of latex gloves for when some one cracks their head open

make freinds with shi school and defiantly ski patrol (patrol loves the liftis) most will ask if you need anything food water ect

sometimes patrol needsaplace to hideand warm up perfect time to bs and work on that relations for benifits.

if there isa problem and you have to get out because of astorm stay put wewill come and getyou with the snow mobiles
Again what i figured but then putting all my hope in one person . . .  

20 year patroler here mutiple resorts hope it helps,brian

Helped alot. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
i know that an the 6 differant patrols that on worked for, we took it as priority #1 to take care of people when it hit the fan. trust me on this you will be gotton to one way or another. in the past we have used snowmobiles, snowcats, patrolers themselfs, and once the sherifs helicopter to get to the guys stuck at the lift shacks.
  trust me on this we will get you one way ar another when the shit hits the fan,ski patrol, matinance, lift personel, snow gromming, and managment do really come together and take care of there own

for a gallon of water what a lot of them are doing is using the cheap cammelpacks stuffed on the outside of the pack

for melting water from around the shack i wouldn't think about it. all of the guys who had to piss there over the years and all of the vomit commets that just came out of the bar tend to puke there for some reason.  the snow will take a long time to melt in just the porly heated lift shack and it will chill you to the bone with it being just a little over freezing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top