Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2011 7:16:22 AM EDT
I had asked my gf to get me a Kindle Fire (color tablet) for Christmas, but then I changed my mind after reading up on the things and asked for a standard Kindle Touch.

My purpose was simple. I really just wanted it to read books. Period.

Well, I have to say this thing is badass!

For those like me who have a giant library of survival .pdfs, you can covert them to the Kindle .mobi format with a free tool called Calibre.

The beauty of the Kindle is the battery life is something like 3 weeks! With 3 gigs of storage, I can hold thousands of books.

You can of course use the Kindle as USB storage, so I plan on scanning my titles/deeds/insurance policies onto the pc, encrypting them, and placing them in a folder on the kindle as well.

Nothing like a little extra backup.

One thing I've always noted in reports of SHTF is that people get bored and read a lot of books.

Having a massive fiction collection at your fingertips can be a pretty nice prep for your mental health in itself

Go check one out!
Speed
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 on that. Battery life is nuts. I got my Touch the first week of November. I've read on it daily, and i've still got about 20% battery life. From the first charge.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That is some seriously awesome battery life!
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#3]
just remember to leave the wireless OFF.

I've had it suck down the battery within 2 days outside my home network since its constantly trying to connect.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine. I've loaded it up with a ton of free books and a couple that I've bought. As for the PDF thing, I was wondering how to do that so thank you for pointing me in that direction.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Dad got me a Kindle Touch for Christmas.  First thing I read was One Second After

Best part is, since he bought it, and already has a Kindle, they think its his, and I can re-download everything he bought for his over the last year to mine.  Going to go check out free ebooks and pdf converters now, thanks OP for a great thread!

ETA  Mine is the one that does random ads for the screen saver.  It keeps showing me Katherine Heigel and the T Mobile girl.  My Kindle wants me to go blind from fapping apparently
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
For more free books check out http://www.library.nu.  There's another one; but, I'll have to find it and post it when I get home.

ETA: other web site.  Lots of music and books here.  https://enjoydownload.com/.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Dad got me a Kindle Touch for Christmas.  First thing I read was One Second After

Best part is, since he bought it, and already has a Kindle, they think its his, and I can re-download everything he bought for his over the last year to mine.  Going to go check out free ebooks and pdf converters now, thanks OP for a great thread!

ETA  Mine is the one that does random ads for the screen saver.  It keeps showing me Katherine Heigel and the T Mobile girl.  My Kindle wants me to go blind from fapping apparently

I didn't register mine as I have no intentions of buying books from Amazon when there are so many other places; plus I don't like the idea of anybody picking my kindle and ordering crap off my Amazon account

Anyway, if you don't register it, you don't get any ads
Speed

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had asked my gf to get me a Kindle Fire (color tablet) for Christmas, but then I changed my mind after reading up on the things and asked for a standard Kindle Touch.
My purpose was simple. I really just wanted it to read books. Period.

Well, I have to say this thing is badass!
For those like me who have a giant library of survival .pdfs, you can covert them to the Kindle .mobi format with a free tool called Calibre.
The beauty of the Kindle is the battery life is something like 3 weeks! With 3 gigs of storage, I can hold thousands of books.

You can of course use the Kindle as USB storage, so I plan on scanning my titles/deeds/insurance policies onto the pc, encrypting them, and placing them in a folder on the kindle as well.
Nothing like a little extra backup.

One thing I've always noted in reports of SHTF is that people get bored and read a lot of books.
Having a massive fiction collection at your fingertips can be a pretty nice prep for your mental health in itself

Go check one out!

Speed

Got one for my birthday.  They are truly awesome!

Project Guntenberg

Google eBooks

eBooks.com

Some of the ones I can remember....
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't register mine as I have no intentions of buying books from Amazon when there are so many other places; plus I don't like the idea of anybody picking my kindle and ordering crap off my Amazon account

Speed

Thats good to know... Can you post on here using the wifi/ experimental browser on the kindle?  I am looking into getting one now
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Thats good to know... Can you post on here using the wifi/ experimental browser on the kindle?  I am looking into getting one now

Browsing arfcom on it kinda blows, but I'm sure you can post from it if you really want to.

Speed

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I received the kindle fire for Christmas.  I can go 6-8 hours on a charge, but it is a full function tablet, web browsing, email, etc.  I can charge it for a long time off my truck, generator, back up deep cycle battery etc.    I REALLY like it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one of the Sony ereaders (the 950 I think) and I took it to Afghanistan with me, it was great. It took quite a beating and I only had a ziplock bag covered in duct tape to act as a case. From other people's experience be careful with those Kindles I knew 5 or 6 people with them and every single one of them was broken or had just stopped working before 3 months in country.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought one for my wife for Christmas. I've been thinking of getting one for myself just for the storage of survival pdfs.  

As mentioned, the battery life is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
We had a low expense Christmas here.  My gift was Amazon Kindle Fire plus $75 in Amazon.com gift cards.

Assuming a way to keep AKF charged and Internet access, it could be useful during an emergency.

The Weather Channel App gives me all of the conditions and forecasts here and for adjacent areas.
Scanner Radio App allows me to hear radio traffic for all or almost all local LEO/Fire/Forest Service frequencies.
Tuned-In Radio App allows me many of the channels Scanner Radio has, plus lots of music and news from Internet sources.
AKF can also access my e-mail accounts or send text messages/Tweets, with WIFI connectivity.
These Apps are all free.

Lots of cheap (or free) books available, including many, many classics from various sources.  Once this data is loaded onto AKF, you can access it without Internet access.  Supposedly the device can hold thousands of books, plus lots of audio.  

With the right plug, it can be recharged from a car cigarette lighter port, or from a standard USB connection, or from a wall socket.  I need to look into some sort of battery backup charging system for extended power outages.

Also, AKF came bundled with 30 days of Amazon Prime.  Two day free shipping on all Prime items.  I have already used it to order a cast iron outdoor Dutch Oven.  The price was very good on an "instant sale".  I ordered it on Friday night at 830PM and it was on my porch at 12 noon on Tuesday. A good survival item that Amazon was blowing out, and no shipping costs.  That could be very useful in certain cases.

To sum it up, I find AKF to be a good output device for text, photos, or video.
Audio sucks because the speakers are small and sound tinny.  Ear buds are needed, then maybe things will improve.
It is a poor input device, since the virtual keyboard is slow and clumsy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The thing that stops me is the small space for content. I have over 19GB of survival documents already, and they just won't fit onto any of these, that I know of.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I got my wife a kindle fire for Christmas and it is really a cool little device. Streams movies, stores books, does email and web browsing. I need to learn how to convert those pdf docs so we can put pdf docs on there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#18]
EMP....goodbye Kindle.

However for all other SHTF the Kindle Touch is an excellent idea!
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Kindle Touch on the way to me here now. I have the Kindle app on my Android so I have been getting some books already. Got a few of the SHTF and prepper books plus some favorites I've read in the past.
Can't wait to get it!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#20]
From other people's experience be careful with those Kindles I knew 5 or 6 people with them and every single one of them was broken or had just stopped working before 3 months in country.

This! to me... why add another gadget to your preps? All it is, is another thing to break when you will desperately need it. Books, PDFs are fine if you have replacememts but birth certificates, insurance papers etc...??? Why ? Why not load your favorite books into your smartphone and make duplicates of your important papers? I download free books from kindle to my driod plus PDFs. Why another gadget that is bigger and does less?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:20:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From other people's experience be careful with those Kindles I knew 5 or 6 people with them and every single one of them was broken or had just stopped working before 3 months in country.

This! to me... why add another gadget to your preps? All it is, is another thing to break when you will desperately need it. Books, PDFs are fine if you have replacememts but birth certificates, insurance papers etc...??? Why ? Why not load your favorite books into your smartphone and make duplicates of your important papers? I download free books from kindle to my driod plus PDFs. Why another gadget that is bigger and does less?

Battery life was the big difference, for me. My smartphone lasts 24 hours. MAYBE 48 if I only turn it on for a few minutes at a time. I can read 30+ minutes a day for 2 months on my kindle without having to plug it in for a charge.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have one of the Sony ereaders (the 950 I think) and I took it to Afghanistan with me, it was great. It took quite a beating and I only had a ziplock bag covered in duct tape to act as a case. From other people's experience be careful with those Kindles I knew 5 or 6 people with them and every single one of them was broken or had just stopped working before 3 months in country.

I had my Kindle in Iraq for more than a year. Still works great. You just need to make sure that you keep it somewhere secure. Pelican makes a pretty cool case for these:
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1055CC
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#24]
We've got 3 Kindle Fires and a basic Kindle reader here and love them all. The Fires are really more pure entertainment devices (no Bluetooth, no GPS, no 3G, etc), and the Kindle is a pure reader, but they excel at what they do for a nice price.

We also order stuff from Amazon regularly so I got the Prime membership. It paid for itself in shipping within the first 6 weeks, and the 2 day shipping is awesome. Kindle books are also much cheaper than hard copy books (and many are discounted even further for Prime members), and they now have the Lending Library and lots of free books for Kindle/Prime members. If you own a Kindle and buy stuff off of Amazon then the Prime membership is really a no-brainer, totally worth it. You make back what you pay easily in shipping costs and savings on books fairly quickly. The streaming video service is a nice bonus, and will likely rival Netflix in content at some point.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I think it would be great to have all you need downloaded and able to refresh your memory, or give you the information to do or build whatever it is you need.
The thing I don't like, is that is electronic, I know it has a crazy long battery life, but what about a cracked sceen, or if it gets dropped and breaks? I like the thought, but as always...don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got one and love it, but do not consider it a survival tool.  You have to keep it dry and charged.  I can use my paper books without charging, even if they are wet or muddy.  Also, I can toss them around without worrying about breaking them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I got my wife a kindle fire for Christmas and it is really a cool little device. Streams movies, stores books, does email and web browsing. I need to learn how to convert those pdf docs so we can put pdf docs on there.

I assume you're talking about the kindle fire, if so, it can read pdf files without any conversion.  

Click on the "Docs" tab at the top of the home screen
It will say "Send documents to  [email protected]
email the pdf files to that address from your computer
wait 10 minutes or so, then hit the Sync button from the settings menu
The pdf will appear in the "Docs" menu.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
EMP....goodbye Kindle.

Please provide empirical data to support your thesis.

At least the device in this emp argument actually has an antenna and is sometimes wired directly to the power grid!  I hate the electronic gun safe emp debate!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume you're talking about the kindle fire, if so, it can read pdf files without any conversion.  

Click on the "Docs" tab at the top of the home screen
It will say "Send documents to  [email protected]
email the pdf files to that address from your computer
wait 10 minutes or so, then hit the Sync button from the settings menu
The pdf will appear in the "Docs" menu.

you can just put them in your document folder on your kindle when you hook it up USB to your pc
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#31]
thanks for the info on the kindle. Trying it now and hopefully will be able to get pdfs to read on it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

thanks for the info on the kindle. Trying it now and hopefully will be able to get pdfs to read on it.

Just convert them to .mobi format using the Calibre tool I posted about in my OP.

It seems to compress a pdf as well, so for the guy w/ 19Gb of PDFs, I'm sure that can be trimmed down a bit

Speed

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just convert them to .mobi format using the Calibre tool I posted about in my OP.
It seems to compress a pdf as well, so for the guy w/ 19Gb of PDFs, I'm sure that can be trimmed down a bit

Speed

95% of that 19GB are .pdf. Did a trial yesterday converting pdf to mobi, and the resulting file was larger. Not trying to be argumentative, that was just my experience.

ETA: I am open to solutions. I will try some more conversions as soon as I get a chance. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Have an older kindle that's purely for reading and storing documents.  I got a fire and immediately hacked it to turn it into a regular android tablet. So much more useable now. As a matter of fact I hacked my other one to get rid of the ads, that one is much better now as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#35]
My wife got a Kindle Fire for Christmas to help her lighten her load on the amount of crap she has to bring..... I have been using it so I can get it set up while at school and this thing is amazing.... I'm even requesting one for myself come the new year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I got a Kindle Touch for x-mas.  I just wanted a reader.  I am very pleased with it.  I do find it a bit basic for trying to do searches for books.  I like looking up books on the computer better.  That way I can make sure I get the right and cheapest version of the book.  I have several added to my wish list.  Thanks for the sites for free books.  I will check those out.

I have a friend with a Kindle and she is a prepper.  Her rule of thumb is buy reference books in paper and get fiction in digital.  She will check out a reference book in digital for free before buying if she can find it.  That way she knows it will be of value.  I think that is pretty sound advice for a shtf scenario where power is limited.  Yes you can use your Kindle for some time but it might get to be a burden to charge.  Other things come first in my opinion when power is limited.  But I also have around 10 boxes of paperback fiction if shtf so I am covered

Quoted:
The thing that stops me is the small space for content. I have over 19GB of survival documents already, and they just won't fit onto any of these, that I know of.

My FIL got his wife a Nook Color.  He got is specifically b/c he could change the SD card in it to expand the storage.  He also bought an SD card that was hacked so she can open it as a Nook or an Android Tablet.  By using the Android OS she can load Kindle to it too.  It was basically a really cheap way to get a tablet device.  So you could look into that.  I think all the Nooks not just the Color can change SD cards easily for expanded storage.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bigger screen, extremely longer battery life between charges, easier on the eyes, and most important you can read it in direct sunlight.

As for the comments, they break, well yeah they're thin so as to reduce weight to that of the average paperback.  Otherwise, the one we have is read every single night and has so for over a year now, but then we're not throwing it around like a book.

To put this very bluntly, this is a tool for those who read very regularly.  Its way more, multiple times more, convenient than conventional books as well as more efficient and convenient than cell phones.  I read Kindle books on my smart phone but usually only at airports, doctors offices, etc.  

Tj

Speed, you want something nice to add to it, try the lighted cover.  The things neat.  Its a very small efficient LED that works off the kindle battery for night viewing and the leather case protects the Kindle.  

Gotta agree with Tj on this. I bought one last Feb with the lighted cover. Wife got one for Christmas. Both of us very happy. And I like the light if the wife is sleeping, or I'm on a plane. Works GREAT. Does eat a little more battery, but not too bad.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#39]
My FIL got his wife a Nook Color.  He got is specifically b/c he could change the SD card in it to expand the storage.  He also bought an SD card that was hacked so she can open it as a Nook or an Android Tablet.  By using the Android OS she can load Kindle to it too.  It was basically a really cheap way to get a tablet device.  So you could look into that.  I think all the Nooks not just the Color can change SD cards easily for expanded storage.

That makes me wonder if the Kindle Fire is hackable. When you start looking at how things are stored. The main storage location is 'SD Card'. But as anyone knows that has one, there is no external slot for one. There must be something like one inside.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That makes me wonder if the Kindle Fire is hackable. When you start looking at how things are stored. The main storage location is 'SD Card'. But as anyone knows that has one, there is no external slot for one. There must be something like one inside.

It is VERY hackable.  Google root kindle fire

Posted from my kindle fire
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
EMP....goodbye Kindle.

Please provide empirical data to support your thesis.

I don't have any that I can readily reference. Nor do I care to have the debate. I'm not trying to knock the device or it's usefulness in SHTF. I love and use my iPad daily for ar15.com and with Kindle app. I'm just saying the device could become a brick under certain circumstances.

Quoted:

At least the device in this emp argument actually has an antenna and is sometimes wired directly to the power grid!  I hate the electronic gun safe emp debate!

Agreed
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Got the wife a Kindle Fire for Christmas.  I haven't had a chance to play with it.  She loves it, and so does the kids.  
Thanks for the links for the free books.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Got a Touch for Christmas from my wonderful wife. One of the first magazines I subscribed to was Backwoods Home mag. Great prep articles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Since I'm a computer noob why would I want to hack a device like this to be more like an android tablet? What benefits does it offer?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Since I'm a computer noob why would I want to hack a device like this to be more like an android tablet? What benefits does it offer?

With the Kindle fire there is very little reason to root it.  It can already browse the web, check email, play movies, mp3s, books, pdf and office files, netflix.  You can "side load" non amazon approved apps without rooting it.  I have the know how to root it, but haven't bothered as it does everything I need now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hacked a Nook color earlier this year.  It's a great device, I use it all the time at home.

Did a full root on a my daughter's Nook Tablet the other day.  Makes for a very versatile Android tablet.

Unfortunately she killed it in less than a month, it's now on it's way to the landfill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top