Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/14/2013 5:16:10 PM EDT
I've spent my first real season hunting, I've seen lots of neat things.. things I am not allowed to hunt
I've seen signs of my quarry, so I am in the right areas, I just need to work on technique.

That being said, season closes tomorrow on rabbits and squirrels, and on the 3rd crow closes, then the 31st of march the end of coyote.

Guess I'll put that range membership to use now.

To the fall!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:19:41 PM EDT
Do you have groundhogs or woodchucks where you live? Those are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:05:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Do you have groundhogs or woodchucks where you live? Those are fun to shoot.

Yes, but its closed, and the MDC seems to think they will be setting next years seasons "by March"

It seems we have great laws here, and lots of hunt-able critters, but kind of short seasons (save for the 923,825 different deer seasons)
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:22:38 PM EDT
I'm with ya.Once the water freezes and the ducks leave It's a long wait around here until hunting season returns. Big game is September and October, then waterfowl until January maybe February. I have seen people that hunt rabbits and grouse on snow shoes so that may be worth trying. There are Jack Rabbits and coyotes all year and fishing if it doesn't go directly from 30-100 degrees. If you don't reload yet take it up. It's great for when hunting is done and it's cold and snowy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:57:50 PM EDT
You guys have awesome fly fishing...no complaining
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:32:00 PM EDT
Thats why they call it hunting!

The progression will go from

1. I want to kill something
2. I want to kill alot of things
3. I want to kill something BIG
4. The sunrise was awful nice today.

I'm never more at peace than when I'm in the woods. I've spent almost my entire life hunting (started with my dad when i was 7). At the peak I spent over 300 hours a fall in a treestand chasing whitetails. The last few years I haven't spent 30. Small kids changed things for me. Now, I can't wait until they can enjoy it with me. Until then, the crisp, clean air and sight of my breath as the sun rises above the treetops is cherished as much as sighting whatever game I'm pursuing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:40:05 AM EDT
bmw20, I know what you mean. I grew up on a farm in western NY and had unlimited woods to hunt. I loved just being in the woods all day. I've been in FL for 35 years and there is little land available, except WMA's and those are hunted to death usually. I was finally able to purchase my own piece of 'Heaven' in 2007. We can hunt hogs and coyotes year round on our own property and there are many times I'll just sit in the woods for several hours. Nobody else around and it is the best escape anyone could have, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:16:41 AM EDT
Top Top