Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2009 10:20:13 AM EDT
In my neck of the woods, killing coyotes is the thing to do, no matter what. I'll shoot one while I'm deer hunting. Bobcats and coons aren't a threat to calfs or colts, but a damn coyote is the scourge of the earth as far as I'm concerned.

Coyotes maul woman on hike in Canadian park
Published: 10/28/09, 1:46 PM EDT
By ROB GILLIES
TORONTO (AP) - Two coyotes attacked a Canadian woman while she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central American to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Illegal in Illinois.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Legal in Colorado but I will only do it after I fill my deer tag. Why take a shot at a 'yote when you could scare off a nice buck?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Deer are easy. We usually have 4 or 5 down by day 3 of the season - so everyone gets meat. A yote steps in frontt of me with a gun in my hand, Damn right I kill it. Every time. I'd even pass on a deer to kill the vermin if they were close together. I HATE those fricking things.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Deer are easy. We usually have 4 or 5 down by day 3 of the season - so everyone gets meat. A yote steps in frontt of me with a gun in my hand, Damn right I kill it. Every time. I'd even pass on a deer to kill the vermin if they were close together. I HATE those fricking things.

+1
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Got back from SD last Tuesday, we were told to waste any coyote we saw while hunting birds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
After you've come across a coyote trying to pull a calf being born out of the mother's womb, you won't have any mercy on them any time you see 'em.
My brother once found a den of eight pups before their eyes opened and were "imprinted".
He killed the mom before digging out the pups.
He thought he could "domesticate" them and sell them.
Most of them died fairly quickly. He got several very nasty surprises as the surviving (two or three) pups started getting past the cute puppy stage.
Everyone of them was put down before they were 5 months old.
I hate them with a passion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup.  Blast the bastards every chance i get.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]
After the leopard hunting thread last night, you better be eating those 'yotes, or the PETA-apologists on here will get pissed!

ETA: I have never seen any while hunting, but would kill them on sight if I do.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I will do everything I can to make sure any coyote I lay eyes on dies.

Sheep ranchers back home have been known to blow the windshields out of their trucks in their frenzy to kill a 'yote.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm starting to hear them in WV, but I haven't seen one while hunting yet.  I would certainly shoot it before most deer I see, I've been wanting a Coyote rug for a while.  I saw one in PA but I had a 15 yard window to shoot it and didn't notice it until it was 5 yards in that window.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Somebody find the thread with the ARFcom member who ate coyote.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot one last weekend with a .45-70 while deer hunting.  The first one heard my sleeve as it was only 25 yards away and I was wearing a coat with some rough fabric.  The second I planted in the ground.  She stank so bad that I gagged when I picked her up by her tail.  She defecated digested corn. We are overrun with them here and they are nasty animals.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always considered them to be targets of opportunity.    I've never had a shot at one, though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've only seen 2 while hunting, and couldn't get a shot.  (Bowhunting)

I'm not worried about scaring deer.  I've shot 2 deer 30 minutes apart.

1st with my '06, and the 2nd was the oldest doe I've ever gotten.  44 mag at 25yds.

I'm convinced gun shots don't spook deer unless it's close.  

2 years ago my son shot a squirrel with a .22.  10 minutes later we had 6 deer walk by.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
thumped many while deer hunting.  Pic to piss off the PETA assholes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Illegal in Illinois.

Not entirely.

Coyote (e) and Striped Skunk

Year round (Statewide).

Closed Nov. 20, 21 and through 6 p.m. Nov. 22 and closed Dec. 3-5 and through 6 p.m. Dec. 6 in counties open for firearm deer hunting (d,e)

1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hr. after sunset; open 24 hours during Nov.10, 2009-Feb. 15, 2010 (d,e)

No Limit

d During the Archery Deer Season bow hunting hours for coyote, striped skunk, raccoon, opossum, red fox and gray fox will be 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.

e Hunters with unfilled firearm deer permits may take coyotes during firearm deer season by shotgun with slugs, muzzleloader or handgun from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/pdf/season_dates.pdf

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Illegal in Illinois.

Not entirely.

Year round (Statewide).
Closed Nov. 20, 21 and through 6 p.m. Nov. 22 and closed Dec. 3-5 and through 6 p.m. Dec. 6 in counties open for firearm deer hunting (d,e)
1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hr. after sunset; open 24 hours during Nov.10, 2009-Feb. 15, 2010 (d,e)
No Limit

d During the Archery Deer Season bow hunting hours for coyote, striped skunk, raccoon, opossum, red fox and gray fox will be 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.
e Hunters with unfilled firearm deer permits may take coyotes during firearm deer season by shotgun with slugs, muzzleloader or handgun from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.

I can't believe you people have seasons and restrictions on animals like that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Illegal in Illinois.

Not entirely.

Year round (Statewide).

No Limit

Yes, those 7 days where coyote season is "closed" are the entire regular gun deer season in IL.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#21]
In addition the general inadvisability of a 19 year-old young woman being alone in the wilderness like that...this is a good example of why being able to carry concealed in even a national park makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I killed a yote during bow season last year. He was sneaking through after I let a doe and fawn walk past. He was about 40 yards behind them and I stuck him with a rage broadhead. Threw him in the ditch. He was there all season, nothing touched it and we have hogs everywhere. This year I missed one during bow season, but skimmed his back and took some hair off. I went two weekends ago (gun season) and saw a yote chasing a squirrel across the swamp road. I nailed him with a 25-06. I went to drag him out and when I got to him, guess what I found? A yote with a bare patch on his back, yes the same yote! The bullet ripped him in half. The only thing holding his front to his back was the spine with a little fur left on the spine. I drug him the the road and continued walking and about 100 yards down the road I saw three does eating grass inthe road and I let them walk. Behind them a decent 8 pointer crossed, not big enough to shoot. So I don't think gunshots freak deer out to bad unless you are shooting in their immediate vacinity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I shot one last weekend with a .45-70 while deer hunting.  The first one heard my sleeve as it was only 25 yards away and I was wearing a coat with some rough fabric.  The second I planted in the ground.  She stank so bad that I gagged when I picked her up by her tail.  She defecated digested corn. We are overrun with them here and they are nasty animals.

Wow, what a coincidence.  I shot another one this evening...half grown.  Also saw a bobcat that must've been as large as my cur dog.  Thing was looking up at me, came right under my tripod from behind me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Illegal in Illinois.

Not entirely.

Year round (Statewide).
No Limit

Yes, those 7 days where coyote season is "closed" are the entire regular gun deer season in IL.

The purpose of that is to keep poachers from going out without a deer tag and claiming to be "coyote hunting."  Dunno if it works, but there you go.  

Edit:  
Quoted:
thumped many while deer hunting.  Pic to piss off the PETA assholes.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k53/w107rsf/100_3650.jpg

Great job!  VERY few bow hunters have poked a hole in a 'yote.  They are notorious for jumping the string––they are even worse than feral house cats and turkeys, IMO.

The PETA folks aren't allowed to cause disruptions in the technical areas of the site––just in GD and the Bear Pit.  Here they get whacked.  

Thanks.  The land I hunt now has seen about 20 yotes taken off of it in the last three years, 13 of those were me with a bow.  Also check out his back paw, he has been caught in a leg hold in the past.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Coyotes and Bobcat for dinner thread here.

Linky
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Also check out his back paw, he has been caught in a leg hold in the past.

Wow, I didn't notice that!  

I bet there's a heckuva story behind that.  I've never seen one get loose once caught.  A buddy caught one by ONE TOE!  Now that I think about it, no trap would grab up that high––dunno what that is, unless maybe a snare, as even a number 4 only stands about 4" high when sprung.  Too bad he ain't talkin'.  

Im thinking snare, they guy who traps on the land makes sort of a pit that is covered up leaves with a snare 4-5 inches down, don't know why he does not use the traditional pan method.
another one killed bow hunting

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

I bet there's a heckuva story behind that.  I've never seen one get loose once caught.  A buddy caught one by ONE TOE!  Now that I think about it, no trap would grab up that high––dunno what that is, unless maybe a snare, as even a number 4 only stands about 4" high when sprung.  Too bad he ain't talkin'.  

Im thinking snare, they guy who traps on the land makes sort of a pit that is covered up leaves with a snare 4-5 inches down, don't know why he does not use the traditional pan method.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k53/w107rsf/100_3659.jpg

Real men hunt in flip flops
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

A real man would know how to tube skin one of those stinking mutts. I remember killing them and getting $35 for the unskinned carcass and $45 if I skinned it.
In the winter of 1977 and 1978 killing the damn things helped get me through a lean year.
But if I shoot them now, I just let them lay unless it's in a hay field. They will tear up a baler when they get run over.
The only thing I think is more fun than shooting the damn things is watching grey hounds catch up with them and kill them.
It usually lasts about 10 seconds before they are dead when the greyhounds catch them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip></snip>

I bet there's a heckuva story behind that. I've never seen one get loose once caught. A buddy caught one by ONE TOE! Now that I think about it, no trap would grab up that high––dunno what that is, unless maybe a snare, as even a number 4 only stands about 4" high when sprung. Too bad he ain't talkin'.

A real man would know how to tube skin one of those stinking mutts. I remember killing them and getting $35 for the unskinned carcass and $45 if I skinned it.

In the winter of 1977 and 1978 killing the damn things helped get me through a lean year.

But if I shoot them now, I just let them lay unless it's in a hay field. They will tear up a baler when they get run over.

The only thing I think is more fun than shooting the damn things is watching grey hounds catch up with them and kill them.

It usually lasts about 10 seconds before they are dead when the greyhounds catch them.

Back in the 70s in MO, that was how I paid for my hunting trips.

Dad would yank me out of school for 3 weeks every Nov. to go to Mo for Deer Season. We would drive from FL back to Grandpa's and hunt the season. Coyotes had a bounty on them, and I used the money to pay for my out of state hunting license. First, one I ever killed, I shot with a Remington 870 12 gauge, using 1 oz. slugs(smoothbore). Needless to say that pelt wasn't worth anything.

I met a guy from GA, a couple of weeks ago. he traps them, and then sells them to hunting clubs for $100 for each one. He says they will take as many as he can get. Apparently they use them to train some dogs, and then hunt.

Seems like nice way to supplement cash flow. Could lead to a new AR.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#33]
We shoot them at any oportunity.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Thats Right!!! LoL...I actually did that once.  Not in that pic but left my boots @ home once, sun was coming up and I was not going to miss a morning in the deer stand
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Been shooting those bastards since I was 12 or 13.  There was still a bounty on them when I was in HS.  I grew up in poultry country.  Poultry farm owner would generally pay us $5 for each one we hauled off their property.  It was either $6 or $8 for a pair of ears at the court house or county agents office. If it was winter, the pelts would be worth few bucks. That is where gas, ammo, and beer money came from.

Today, I will definitely pop a Yot or bobcat while deer, quail, dove, or hog hunting.  I will even risk being busted by the man for shooting from the road to kill one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#36]
kll those yotes every chance i get.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I have not had one cross my path yet while on the stand but there is no doubt in my mind I would blast a coyotte even if it cost me the chance at a deer.  We are not seeing as many deer and we  blame it on the growing coyotte population.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:10:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have not had one cross my path yet while on the stand but there is no doubt in my mind I would blast a coyotte even if it cost me the chance at a deer.  We are not seeing as many deer and we  blame it on the growing coyotte population.

Seeing the same thing in my hunting areas of NYS.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Two years ago I had a pair come past my stand. The dog lived unfortunately but I got the bitch.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Coyotes make nice pillows.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Illegal in Illinois.

Not entirely:
Hunters with unfilled firearm deer permits may take coyotes during firearm deer season by shotgun with slugs, muzzleloader or handgun from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top