BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 8:12:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#1]

or

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I am storing mine in Nato Jerry cans.  Right now I have two 20l cans (5 gal cans) plus a pair of 5l cans (1.25-gal cans) and I painted them blue so it is painfully obvious that they are Kerosene.  I don't want to dump that in a truck or generator but worse yet I never want to get gassoline in a Kersosene lantern or heater - KABOOM!

Links to where I got my Jerry cans are all here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=626666

Note that there is Kerosene treatment that you can buy that helps keep kerosene good.  Here is a link:

http://www.msiwix.com/prid_kerosene_additive.htm
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3714102&CAWELAID=380546073
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/american-wick-wick-cleaner-kerosene-additive-p-36667.html?ref=42

There are other types available both scented and unscented.  It is supposed to help the kerosene burn cleaner which helps with smoke and odor plus it helps preserve the wick.  I have not used enough kerosene enough to say how important it is but I am using it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got mine in the 5 gal plastic blue cans.

I have used kero that's been in storage over 5 years with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Kero will last 20 years as long as moisture is kept out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know or has anyone tried using MWC ,not the MFC for kerosene?
I don't see why not,add a gasket.  what does the SF fourm think?

Thanks Bulldog
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased two 5 gallon cans of Kerosene from Home Depot. Should I open the cans and put the additive in or just leave them sealed?

What about Lamp oil? Is there an additive that is needed?

What is the best way to store my lamp oil?

Thanks,

Tom
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I purchased two 5 gallon cans of Kerosene from Home Depot. Should I open the cans and put the additive in or just leave them sealed?

Thanks,

Tom

Just leave the kerosene sealed in the factory container.  Once you do open them, but won't be using the contents within a couple of months,  add a dose of PRI-D then reseal.  You probably don't really need to add the PRI-D, but it won't hurt.

At the end of winter Lowes buts their blue plastic 5 gallon kerosene cans on sale.  That's a good time to buy them.  I don't know if it helps or hurts, but I keep my cans at the fill lines.  No point in putting 2 gallons into a 5 gallon can, go ahead and fill it up even if you have to buy a little more.

Lamp oil is best stored in a sealed container.  If you are keeping it over a year then transfer into a better container than the normal clear plastic bottles it comes in from WalMart, etc.  No need to add any stabilizers as lamp oil isn't going into your engine.  Just make sure it isn't getting murky.  You can add low odor mineral spirits to lamp oil if it starts getting real thick.  

Low odor mineral spirits will also burn alone, and cleanly, in an oil lamp.   Today it is frowned upon, but folks did it safely for years.

The bottles that lamp oil comes in usually spill when pouring.   The sides of the bottle get messy.    I use old gallon  laundry detergent bottles for lamp oil.  Washed out and properly labeled, of course.  The little push button dispenser makes it easy to fill lamps without needing a funnel.  And the perfume that leached into the plastic leaches back out into the lamp oil.  

Or you can put lamp oil in the blue plastic kerosene can, or in empty steel Coleman fuel cans.  Be sure to label reused containers appropriately.    

There is only one station in town selling clear undyed kerosene.   It is about $1.00 per gallon more expensive than diesel.  But that price is still lower than buying a 5 gallon can of kerosene at Lowe's.  Lowe's wants about $42.50 for 5 gallons ... around $8.30 per gallon.  But you do get the round can.  Make sure it isn't dented, dents crack the lining and it can rust.

If you do get kerosene at a pump somewhere make sure it is not dyed for nonhighway use.  The dyes can clog your heater wicks.

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Tom

Just leave the kerosene sealed in the factory container.  Once you do open them, but won't be using the contents within a couple of months,  add a dose of PRI-D then reseal.  You probably don't really need to add the PRI-D, but it won't hurt.

At the end of winter Lowes buts their blue plastic 5 gallon kerosene cans on sale.  That's a good time to buy them.  I don't know if it helps or hurts, but I keep my cans at the fill lines.  No point in putting 2 gallons into a 5 gallon can, go ahead and fill it up even if you have to buy a little more.

Lamp oil is best stored in a sealed container.  If you are keeping it over a year then transfer into a better container than the normal clear plastic bottles it comes in from WalMart, etc.  No need to add any stabilizers as lamp oil isn't going into your engine.  Just make sure it isn't getting murky.  You can add low odor mineral spirits to lamp oil if it starts getting real thick.  

Low odor mineral spirits will also burn alone, and cleanly, in an oil lamp.   Today it is frowned upon, but folks did it safely for years.

The bottles that lamp oil comes in usually spill when pouring.   The sides of the bottle get messy.    I use old gallon  laundry detergent bottles for lamp oil.  Washed out and properly labeled, of course.  The little push button dispenser makes it easy to fill lamps without needing a funnel.  And the perfume that leached into the plastic leaches back out into the lamp oil.  

Or you can put lamp oil in the blue plastic kerosene can, or in empty steel Coleman fuel cans.  Be sure to label reused containers appropriately.    

There is only one station in town selling clear undyed kerosene.   It is about $1.00 per gallon more expensive than diesel.  But that price is still lower than buying a 5 gallon can of kerosene at Lowe's.  Lowe's wants about $42.50 for 5 gallons ... around $8.30 per gallon.  But you do get the round can.  Make sure it isn't dented, dents crack the lining and it can rust.

If you do get kerosene at a pump somewhere make sure it is not dyed for nonhighway use.  The dyes can clog your heater wicks.

YMMV

Thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top