Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2016 12:01:38 PM EDT
I've recently written a review of the Kenai chest holster in regards to my hiking and backpacking activities. Being new to this setup, it's bad ass!
Kenai Chest Holster Review
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rig. Been looking for a USGI type where the 1911 would sit vertical but with a 20/21 Glock.
This might do though.

Good write up, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking at those for a while.  I hike in VA/WV too and for me, the hassle of open carry isn't worth it...if I was out west things would be different.  I just hiked 8mi in SNP today (I'm actually writing this from my tent, lol) and all the families I passed were none the wiser of my HPG Kit Bag.  I know that's not technically concealed either, but it works that way for all intents and purposes.  The only person who's ever "made" me was wearing an NRA hat, lol.

Also, you may already know - one of the national forests (can't remember if it's Jefferson or Washington...or both) isn't open carry friendly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've recently written a review of the Kenai chest holster in regards to my hiking and backpacking activities. Being new to this setup, it's bad ass!
View Quote

Very cool.

Is that your blog?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks OP.  I've seen those, but have been put off by the size and location of the side release buckles--especially the one that appears to be under the shoulder strap of the backpack in a couple of the photos.  

One of my quibbles with my Hill People Gear Kit Bag and some chest rigs is the location and size of the hardware, which can make them uncomfortable depending on what you strap on over them.  It seems to me that a lower profile solution like the ITW G Hook might suffice in some of these applications.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the looks of those and think it's a great idea but $150 for a kydex holster is retarded, especially when you can get a Diamond D leather holster for a little more (which is also expensive as hell but at least it's got a bit more money tied up in materials and construction).

ETA- Not to be critical, if you're happy with it that's great, but your pack doesn't appear to fit you properly. Maybe it's just the photos or something you did for demo purposes, but the waist belt should be on top of your hips to carry the weight, not on your shoulders.  If you have a real outdoor shop near you or even an REI and your pack is adjustable, they can help you adjust it to fit you more comfortably or recommend a model for a longer torso.  REI has some videos on their website which may help too.  Just trying to be helpful.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Delete this post. Glitched, somehow didn't included the quote.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Please delete
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
please delete
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Very cool.

Is that your blog?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool.

Is that your blog?

Yes
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been looking at those for a while.  I hike in VA/WV too and for me, the hassle of open carry isn't worth it...if I was out west things would be different.  I just hiked 8mi in SNP today (I'm actually writing this from my tent, lol) and all the families I passed were none the wiser of my HPG Kit Bag.  I know that's not technically concealed either, but it works that way for all intents and purposes.  The only person who's ever "made" me was wearing an NRA hat, lol.

Also, you may already know - one of the national forests (can't remember if it's Jefferson or Washington...or both) isn't open carry friendly.
View Quote

I normally visit the Monogahela Natl. forest, open carry is legal there. If you are concern about running in to crowds and worry about people seeing your OCing that's low. I would be more concern about weather conditions, water and food. State forest in WV I think still has issues with OC and the hunting and game department. Need to get a clear answer from WVCDL on this matter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks OP.  I've seen those, but have been put off by the size and location of the side release buckles--especially the one that appears to be under the shoulder strap of the backpack in a couple of the photos.  

One of my quibbles with my Hill People Gear Kit Bag and some chest rigs is the location and size of the hardware, which can make them uncomfortable depending on what you strap on over them.  It seems to me that a lower profile solution like the ITW G Hook might suffice in some of these applications.
View Quote

Interesting, no one makes a perfect holster to fit all carry needs. But for me, I'll work around this chest rig when it comes to carrying my gear. So far I have no problems with this setup.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I love the look and idea of those but the $150 price tag keeps me away.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I normally visit the Monogahela Natl. forest, open carry is legal there. If you are concern about running in to crowds and worry about people seeing your OCing that's low. I would be more concern about weather conditions, water and food. State forest in WV I think still has issues with OC and the hunting and game department. Need to get a clear answer from WVCDL on this matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OC in Monongahela NF is still an issue (for out of state residents, IIRC).  Regardless...proves my point...concealed is less of a hassle.  I never said CC was more important than weather, water and food.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
2016-10-26 EDIT

Oh crap - I left out the DON'T - sorry about that.....

WOW -

I am extremely PRO 2A so don't misinterpret this as anti....

Where the hell do you hike / backpack where you need a chest holster outside your rain jacket for 'instant' access. I think I would find a new place to hike.

I have NEVER carried a firearm beyond the trail-head when backpacking. Not against it, just never felt the need.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OC in Monongahela NF is still an issue (for out of state residents, IIRC).  Regardless...proves my point...concealed is less of a hassle.  I never said CC was more important than weather, water and food.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the case until recently, thanks to the WVCDL got two bills pushed. The DNR could fine you if they see you're not hunting,
2015 - HB2515: Permitting defensive open carry of firearms without a CHL on vehicles and in the woods, and introducing crossbow hunting.
2014 - HB4431: Clarifying that a firearm alone does not constitute hunting to protect open carriers from being charged with hunting violations.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WOW -

I am extremely PRO 2A so misinterpret this as anti....

Where the hell do you hike / backpack where you need a chest holster outside your rain jacket for 'instant' access. I think I would find a new place to hike.

I have NEVER carried a firearm beyond the trail-head when backpacking. Not against it, just never felt the need.
View Quote

Is hiking the only time you'd carry a gun?

Imho that holster would be good for a number of applications.

Truck drivers, motorcyclists, fishermen etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool.

Is that your blog?

Yes

Congrats. It's badass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
WOW -

View Quote

My response; "wow I'm very pro-gun and live in a good wealthy neighborhood, there are cops patrolling regularly, I keep my guns in my house since I have no need for them."
"I'm in a military base in TX and said I never need a gun until my buddy got shot by same terrorist or mad head."

Conclusion; always carry where legal. I rather have a gun and not use it than when needed but don't have it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW -

Although rare, until some big animal or a group of bad guys attacked him and his fortunate enough to survive, his response will be the opposite

People, don't be a statistic! Some people that I know and stories that I've heard, they wait for something bad to happen to them before they stop being a liberal, start carrying all the time and become pro gun. Why should you wait?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That was the case until recently, thanks to the WVCDL got two bills pushed. The DNR could fine you if they see you're not hunting,

2015 - HB2515: Permitting defensive open carry of firearms without a CHL on vehicles and in the woods, and introducing crossbow hunting.

2014 - HB4431: Clarifying that a firearm alone does not constitute hunting to protect open carriers from being charged with hunting violations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to hear.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had one for about 6 months now and absolutely love it. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and was never happy with the means i found of carrying while wearing a pack or climbing gear. The price on the Kenai is certainly steep but for me has been worth every penny. I carry a full size M&P .40 with light in mine, I should get something better but for now with hard-cast bullets its my hardest hitting handgun. The buckles do not interfere with my pack straps at all and it is more comfortable even then my multi day pack that allowed a holster on the waist belt. I have gotten some funny looks but probably equal numbers of guys asking about it and where to get one. The Kenai is also great while driving/4-wheeling. Much more comfortable and easy to access while seated.

For the guy asking why carry a gun when hiking... Really? Why would you carry a gun anywhere or have them in your house even since you have locked doors to protect you. Every so often I get asked why I have a gun while on a trail, the easy answer is its like a first aid kit. You hope you don't need it, but if you do, nothing else is going to make up for it.

There is a huge problem with crime at the trail heads in my area. I had stopped carrying for certain climbs before I got the Kenai because it was a pain with a normal holster, a harness and other gear. Then my buddy and I had our wives along for a class 3/4 scramble and we were followed a couple miles up the trail and had some gear we stashed stolen. That was a horrible feeling continuing down the trail after discovering the theft unarmed, not knowing what we were walking into, with our wives. With the Kenai I have no excuse now for not carrying.

I know it's expensive but with a decent amount of research I couldn't find an alternative that offered the same features.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't jump on Ranchhand too much for his opinion. A lot of folks I know that do hundreds of miles a year have gone to no gun or a small pocket pistol like an LCP.  Plus Ranchhand probably has more time hiking and in the backcountry than all of you put together.

The Kenai, though interesting, is way over priced. Most folks can put together something themselves for less than half that price. YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love the look and idea of those but the $150 price tag keeps me away.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I carry a Glock 20 gen 4 everytime I go out hiking.  Better to have and not need it.

$150 seems a little steep.  However it looks lke a well made piece of gear.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd like something like that but without the huge buckles

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Almost got this, but ended up with Hill Peopled Gear kit bag. Conceals and holds other goods.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Almost got this, but ended up with Hill Peopled Gear kit bag. Conceals and holds other goods.
View Quote

Interesting write up by OP.  I'd heard of these, but never seen any sort of feedback from first hand use.  

I too live in VA, and had considered something like the Kenai.  Ultimately I also went with a HPG Kit Bag.  It provides me with a very comfortable chest carry option, and my handgun is concealed.  Of course anyone who knows about HPG Kit Bags and sees me wearing mine will know what's up, but the vast majority of people who would by "uncomfortable" seeing someone with a firearm will have no idea what's up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wouldn't jump on Ranchhand too much for his opinion. A lot of folks I know that do hundreds of miles a year have gone to no gun or a small pocket pistol like an LCP.  Plus Ranchhand probably has more time hiking and in the backcountry than all of you put together.

The Kenai, though interesting, is way over priced. Most folks can put together something themselves for less than half that price. YMMV of course.
View Quote

My usual carry, and I do on most occasions, while hiking or backpacking in the US is a 642 and has been since I got it back in the early 90s.  The second sentence is a retarded assumption since you have no idea what our experiences are.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I' had been looking at these for awhile and finally pulled the trigger when Gunfighters[Inc] was having their Black Friday sale. It arrived within a couple of weeks and I've had the opportunity to carry it twice.  The first day out, I wore it for around four hours while hunting. I walked 1/4 mile in and out of the woods and climbed and sit in a tree stand for a couple of hours.  A few minutes after putting it on, I actually forgot that I had it. I even stopped on the way home to fuel up, got out and started fueling when realized I was walking around with a Glock 20 on my chest.  

The guys are the shop are very responsive to both calls and emails. I have an RMR on my pistol and had called to make sure that it would fit and someone answered the phone and answered my questions . I then sent an email to check if I could have both the Cordura wrap along with the black suede lining. They said that it could not be done, because the kydex came with the Cordura or suede already attached. I agree that it is expensive for a kydex holster and harness, but I had contacted a local guy who makes kydex holsters and he didn't even want to attempt it.  Overall, it is well thought out and well built, but there are several sharp edges that I thought should have been rounded just to give it a better feel and more finished appearance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I bough one a few weeks ago for deer hunting.  Carry my S7W 610 6.5-inch N-frame in one deer hunting.

Took two does with the setup this past Sunday.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I bough one a few weeks ago for deer hunting.  Carry my S7W 610 6.5-inch N-frame in one deer hunting.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31815523/ChestHolster.jpg

Took two does with the setup this past Sunday.
View Quote

That picture illustrates my other issue with the design- for that kind of money why isn't the whole gun covered?  I mean it's designed as an outdoor holster yet your barrel and muzzle are sticking out.  The front sight on that 610 also shows why I think it's a design flaw- any partridge type front sight can snag on the draw with an open design but it's worse on a longer barrel where the average person will typically start rotating the gun on the draw just from body mechanics.  Heck, maybe I'm completely off base and out of line here but as much as I like the design, I just think it could be better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That picture illustrates my other issue with the design- for that kind of money why isn't the whole gun covered?  I mean it's designed as an outdoor holster yet your barrel and muzzle are sticking out.  The front sight on that 610 also shows why I think it's a design flaw- any partridge type front sight can snag on the draw with an open design but it's worse on a longer barrel where the average person will typically start rotating the gun on the draw just from body mechanics.  Heck, maybe I'm completely off base and out of line here but as much as I like the design, I just think it could be better.
View Quote
Actually the front sight does not snag.  The site channel is generous and the barrel profile is close fitted. On drawing, the barrel cannot move up to snag the sight, the barrel is stopped by the holster allowing the sight to enter the sight channel.  With a full under lug you also cannot rotate the barrel in the holster either to get it snagged.  The only snag issue I have is when used with my 627 PC that has a thinner slab sided barrel with a cut away under lug.  I can get it to snag if I try by twisting but its not easy.  As for covering the whole gun, it is not an issue for me and in fact the short body of the holster is a feature for me.  If it covered that entire 6.5 inch barrel there would be a lot of bulk.  The gun doesn't need the protection and I don't want the bulk.  It also allows me to run any of my N-frames with different barrel length in that same holster.

Before buying the Kenai I tried on a buddies Diamond Guide Choice holster.  It was more expensive than the Kenai and did not stabilize the gun as well as the Kenai.  I can wear the Kenai all day stalk hunting while wearing my backpack or Tenzing Vest-Pack (in picture above) and the gun stays stable, accessible, and comfortable.  Even while also carrying a rifle.  Yeah it's expensive but so far I have yet to find a more comfortable way to carry a big N-frame style revolver.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Actually the front sight does not snag.  The site channel is generous and the barrel profile is close fitted. On drawing, the barrel cannot move up to snag the sight, the barrel is stopped by the holster allowing the sight to enter the sight channel.  With a full under lug you also cannot rotate the barrel in the holster either to get it snagged.  The only snag issue I have is when used with my 627 PC that has a thinner slab sided barrel with a cut away under lug.  I can get it to snag if I try by twisting but its not easy.  As for covering the whole gun, it is not an issue for me and in fact the short body of the holster is a feature for me.  If it covered that entire 6.5 inch barrel there would be a lot of bulk.  The gun doesn't need the protection and I don't want the bulk.  It also allows me to run any of my N-frames with different barrel length in that same holster.

<snip>
View Quote

That actually makes sense with a kydex holster and the full lug.  I've tried a couple of leather exposed barrel/belt slide designs and did not care for them.  Honestly, I really want to like the Kenai.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Good review.
I already have an HPG kit pack. I like it cause it covers the gun and folks are none the wiser. Plus I keep my map in the other pouch.

As for the guy from Nevada that doesn't need a gun, I say go hiking in the uintas. Just as desolate as Nevada, but enough moisture that the cats are plentiful and big. I was stalked once and all I had was my little makarov. I now have a g29. I also am planning on a hike in glacier soon. Grizz scares me almost as much as big cats. But I also do a fair amount of solo hiking. When you aren't in a group animals might feel more frisky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top