Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2010 4:05:57 PM EDT
Well I have been looking for the past 3 months for a good pack that I would possibly using while deployed, as well as something that I could use on some out-of-country trips and backpacking. I originally was contemplating an Eberlestock Terminator, as it had the capacity I needed, while being MOLLE friendly. Unfortunately, due to the fire in their warehouse NOBODY had them in stock (tried and failed 6 times w/ various sites). That being said, I needed a pack by May 15th, and no retailer could get a Terminator in on time. I began looking for other packs in the 65L-80L range and stumbled upon the Kelty Military Site. They had two packs, the Falcon at 4000 cubic inches (65L), and the Eagle at 7850 cubic inches (128L!!!). I was apprehensive about ordering the Eagle as it looked friggin HUGE so I went with a smaller pack that I could add MOLLE to if I needed more space. Here is a little review of the pack as I recieved it today:

Manufacturer's Specs:
Weight: 6 lb. 14 oz. / 3.1 kg
Weight without Lid: 5 lb. 15 oz./ 2.7 kg

Dimensions:
Length: 32" / 81 cm
Width: 15" / 38 cm
Height: 12.5" / 31.0 cm
Volume: 4000 in3 / 65.5 l
Volume w/ low volume hood: 3620 in3/59.3 l
Torso Fit Range: 16 – 21”/ 41 – 53 cm

The Pack - At first glance I was afraid the Falcon would be a a little small for most things. on closer inspection it shows that it can expand to accommodate a large amount of stuff. The color of the pack (coyote) brown is fairly dark (almost a little OD) and may conflict with some peoples pouches. The pack is about 45" tall when fully stuffed, but substantially smaller when less is packed.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0561.jpg

The suspension and padding is typical Kelty - Well done and supportive! It has an excellent waist belt, along with very nice buckles.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0562.jpg

The Scherer Cinch that Kelty uses is also very nice.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0564.jpg

Next we have the main compartment, empty and with a small hiking sleeping bag. There are two drawstring pockets on either side and a long mesh pocket by the wearers back.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0569.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0568.jpg

The top/lid of the Falcon makes good use of space. On the top are two rounded pockets that allow for water bottles or important things close at hand. The zippered divider can be removed to create a single large compartment in the top. there is also zippered acces through the pockets to a flat pocket on the floor.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0566.jpg

The underside of the lid has a mesh map pocket, as well as the waist strap thats folded behind for use as a waist or "fanny" pack.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0570.jpg

Next we have the "low-profile" lid thats hidden in the storm collar.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0571.jpg

http://www.amronintl.com/images/product/large/Page2125-ITM-101459-large.jpg

The outside large pocket has numerous smaller ones inside, useful for pens/cellphones/etc. There is a large, fleece lined pocket thats great for small cameras, sunglasses, electronics.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0572.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0573.jpg

Last is the stowable storm cover. this can tie down around the pack using bungies and t-straps.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0574.jpg

The side of the pack shows the amount of MOLLE one could place. Sustainment or large SAW pouches would definitely be good additions for large volume space.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/cogignis/Kelty%20Falcon/DSCN0575.jpg

Overall impressions:
I am very impressed with this pack. It is definitely a military pack built by civilians, and uses a little lighter materials than say Eberlestock, but at the same time keeps its strength. The padding and suspension are the result of a company who specializes in that sort of thing and are VERY comfortable. I am excited to ruck, and hike with it, and hope to get a lot of use out of it. As a BOB, the size is perfect (any bigger would have been too big) and it is light enough to carry all day.

Please let me know if you want any other details or pics.

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
nice review and pics

you got your specs wrong though

Weight: 6 lb. 14 oz. / 3.1 kg
Weight without Lid: 5 lb. 15 oz./ 2.7 kg

Dimensions:
Length: 32" / 81 cm
Width: 15" / 38 cm
Height: 12.5" / 31.0 cm
Volume: 4000 in3 / 65.5 l
Volume w/ low volume hood: 3620 in3/59.3 l
Torso Fit Range: 16 – 21”/ 41 – 53 cm

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
that is a nice bag... how much did it cost, where did u get it from?

got any more pics?
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
neato... I like kelty civilian stuff, never really seen a legit review of their "military" line.   Now get out and get some miles/dirt on it, then give us a AAR.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Oops!! Those were the Eagle Specs - edited now. I got it from Amron International (the supported retailer on Kelty's site). I did this for two reasons: first, they had the best price, and second, there is a little confusion with the Kelty Eagle. It originally (up until last year) was called the Falcon 2850. This only had about 1500 cubic inches of space, not the 4000 that it currently had. Many sites I saw had the 2850's specs, listed alongside the 4000 name, and vice versa. Amron is a reputable company, and all their stuff on the site matched, so i was more comfortable ordering. In fact, if you look closely, the "2850" for some reason is visible on Amron's site, although on my pack it clearly is embroidered with "4000." Not sure why, it just seems to be a little confusion around the marketing (Kelty needs to get on it)

The price for mine was $241 plus shipping, which is not bad for a pack of this quality. A little more than a civilian one, but I went to REI to handle some other Kelty and comparable brands in civvie materials, and this is def superior.

M8_ - what would you like to see?
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 2:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
i'd sell all of my packs to get that pack

i love my kelty 4500 tahoe.....
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wouldnt like it. Its got MOLLE webbing on it.

it aint multi cam so i'd be in love
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You know it's just a Kifaru knockoff.  

ETA - Great review!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#9]
any place for a hydration bladder in there?
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know it's just a Kifaru knockoff.

ETA - Great review! Thanks.

whateva..

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the review, I'm looking to get this bag within the month. Looks sturdy :)
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oops!! Those were the Eagle Specs - edited now. I got it from Amron International (the supported retailer on Kelty's site). I did this for two reasons: first, they had the best price, and second, there is a little confusion with the Kelty Eagle. It originally (up until last year) was called the Falcon 2850. This only had about 1500 cubic inches of space, not the 4000 that it currently had. Many sites I saw had the 2850's specs, listed alongside the 4000 name, and vice versa. Amron is a reputable company, and all their stuff on the site matched, so i was more comfortable ordering. In fact, if you look closely, the "2850" for some reason is visible on Amron's site, although on my pack it clearly is embroidered with "4000." Not sure why, it just seems to be a little confusion around the marketing (Kelty needs to get on it)

The price for mine was $241 plus shipping, which is not bad for a pack of this quality. A little more than a civilian one, but I went to REI to handle some other Kelty and comparable brands in civvie materials, and this is def superior.

M8_ - what would you like to see?

I was only kiddin about the pics budd... that is not a BOB, its a BAB... (Bad Azz Bag)..
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys! One thing to note (if you are concerned about thats stuff) is that the brown is VERY dark. for those who asked about hydration, the two internal drawstring pouches have small ports that open to the left and right near the shoulder, so one could feasibly put two hydration bladders in it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
i just ordered mine. i can't wait to get it. looks like i'm going to love it!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i just ordered mine. i can't wait to get it. looks like i'm going to love it!!!

from where and for how much?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#16]
While the pack looks great, well built and everything, I think that alot of those pockets are unneccesary weight.

thy put pockets inside the main compartment?

I have found the best and most efficiecent way to pack a bag is with stuff sacks. nothing goes into my pain compartment that is not in a stuff sack, so at least for me (and most people I have met) those internal pockets would be useless.

I like the ability to add molle panely, but it looks like its just a way to make you but something that is already going to be on ANY other pack you buy.. medium sized poockets on the sides.
I cant really think of anything that would go better right there..

maybe 2 separate small pockets would be nice, but at a minimum of 20 bucks/ each, you are going to have another 40 bucks into your aleady 241 dollar pack, plus whatever you plan on putting on the other side..so your are looking at a 300 dollar pack that does, the same thing as mine but weighs at least 2 pounds more...

but then again, I am a gear-jew...
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Overall, I really like Kelty equipment. I owned one of their "military" packs and wasn't impressed with the material. For the average user, I'd recommend Kelty time and time again
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd love a pic of the bottom of the pack if at all possible.  Need to know if there is any way to dock and lock a Kifaru pod on that puppy for my FTRSS.  

Your thread has me hunting a new BOB, its either going to be this or the 7850, but I almost think I will like the ability to shrink down the falcon better.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Oops.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump-up from the depths!

I was undecided between this pack and the regular Kelty Red Could 5600.  Bought one of these packs last month after seeing this review.  Thanks for the pics, hope the links are still active.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Looks like his pics in the review are down.

Here is one of mine when I was looking at carrying a Becker BK9 on the pack:

I ended up moving the sheath to the opposite side and securing the end with paracord.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I really like that pack. Sucks I saw this review a few months too late.

I recently bought my wife and myself the Kelty Redcloud 5000, and 6000 respectfully.

Both are civilian looking and neither have molle straps. I really wish they did have molle.

Thanks for the review, and the work that went into it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Very interesting.  I saw these on Amazon for under $200.

OP - can you give us interior dimensions of the main compartment?

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Very interesting.  I saw these on Amazon for under $200.
OP - can you give us interior dimensions of the main compartment?

Wow, these have dropped in price since I purchased mine.  Even a better buy now.  I'm not sure if the OP still checks this thread, since I bumped it up from the depths.  I'll try and post a few pics of my pack loaded up.

Stuffing:

Left to right:  Kelty pillow, Kelty down Light year 40 degree bag, Eureka Backcountry 1 tent, Cocoon bagliner, Camelbak 3L, Thermarest Prolite pad (yes its purple), and Esbit alcohol stove.  Other bags have misc clothing like long johns, u/w, teeshirts, socks, hygiene.  Added for volume, don't need all of them at same time.

Stuffing pic 2:

It all fits:

Room for more:

Last pic shows yardstick bottomed out inside of pack.  Its 24 inches deep, and still has about 6 inches of room left to pack.  Inside of pack is roughly 16 inches by 8 inches.

Couple of pics with pack loaded with items shown.  Top fannypack part and the Camelbak are empty, so YMMV.

I added a few 5.11 Mollee pouches.  The color match is close to the Kelty.  Even 5.11 can't color match itself, as both H20 carriers vary in shading.  Med pouch is loaded with basic first aide kit for hiking and such.  Bottom 6x10 pouch is for a ground tarp and other dirty items like garbage.  Two water carriers on each side.   On belt I have a pouch for my camera and a drop pouch.  I have a Becker BK9 mounted.  It will need to come off when I'm hiking in Yosemite and such.  Pack with everything shown weighs in at about 36 pounds.  Missing are food, water and stove fuel.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#25]
220ST -

I didn't even notice how old this thread was - thanks for responding w/pics and info.  Might have to get one of these; I've been looking for something big enough to stow something like a SBR'ed P90 or Krink along with my other gear.  This looks like it might fit the bill.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#26]
maybe a stupid question, but would a sustainment pouch fit on the side?

there I go again... like a binge eater dropping by a pizza buffet, then looking up innocently and saying "I just wanted to smell the pizza"...
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 3:20:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

maybe a stupid question, but would a sustainment pouch fit on the side?

there I go again... like a binge eater dropping by a pizza buffet, then looking up innocently and saying "I just wanted to smell the pizza"...

yes. its 7 rows wide and 4 high.

Link Posted: 4/16/2011 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know if it's offered in just plain black?  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Just ordered one of these.  Thanks for the heads up on them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top