Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2010 5:45:41 PM EDT
Went to the basement today to get my pack to go backpacking today. I keep my reservoirs and tubes with bite valves for my hydration packs hanging over our clothes line. When I'm through using my hydration packs I disassemble the tube from reservoir and clean the tube and bite valve with mouthwash. But this time when I went to retrieve them they (bite valves) had white spots on them. We don't have mold in our basement but that's what it kinda looks like. What do you all do to store your hydration packs after you use them?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:46:13 PM EDT
You might want to consider putting the bite valve in the dishwasher on a hot wash cycle and picking up a valve cover. They keep the mouthpiece clean when its in use and keep the creepy crawleys off them when not in use.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:21:28 PM EDT
Yep. Bite valve covers rule.
M
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:47:48 AM EDT
i keep em full of h20 and use them wheni can to keep fresh h20 in them.
Most issues i have had are the omega 100oz ones. Where the insul. tube ends 1 inch short of the bite valve seems to turn green on ll of the ones i have.
i just scrub with h20,soap/bleach and rinse..little slime never hurt anyone
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:43:34 PM EDT
Appreciate the replies....I'll give em a scrub down with hot soapy water and see what happens in the long run. I guess it could be the mouthwash but that has alcohol in it to help disinfect and make it taste better when I first drink out of it. I've already got covers that fit over the bite valve itself and they too got the white spots on them. I'll try the scrub down...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:28:52 PM EDT
We have really low humidity here so I don't have to deal with these issues. I have heard of people string them (without water) in the freezer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:49:46 PM EDT
10 to 1 water to bleach solution. That's what's the food industry should be using fo santizing food prep areas.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:47:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Vinnie:
10 to 1 water to bleach solution. That's what's the food industry should be using fo santizing food prep areas.

This is what I use too. I soak the bite valve in the bleach over night then rinse it off and let it dry on the counter top.

Before I was as diligent about the cleaning the valve I had some slimy growth that was fixed by putting the valve into the coin holder pocket on a pair of jeans. The jeans then got put in the wash and the friction developed from washing cleaned the crud from inside. Just make sure you don't throw the jeans in the dryer and forget to take the valve out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:16:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Vinnie:

win
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:34:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MDS:
Yep. Bite valve covers rule.
M

As long as you have the stock valve. I have yet to find a cover to fit the ergonomic bite valve.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:43:17 PM EDT
I might be using a little bit more bleach than most, but steamy hot bleach water is what I use prior to filling my camelbaks with drinking water.
Top Top