Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2009 3:16:31 PM EDT
I just picked up a new HT, the Yaesu VX-8r.  I love it so far.  Great audio on the rx and tx, durable, thin.  Only problem I have so far is the chincy belt clip.  I am used to a 2m single band VX-170 and that one had a spring loaded clip that was easy to open/release.  Does anyone know of an aftermarket clip I can get for this radio?  I've looked all over and don't see anything.  Not even a DIY modification.  Any feedback will be helpful.

DD
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I just picked up a new HT, the Yaesu VX-8r.  I love it so far.  Great audio on the rx and tx, durable, thin.  Only problem I have so far is the chincy belt clip.  I am used to a 2m single band VX-170 and that one had a spring loaded clip that was easy to open/release.  Does anyone know of an aftermarket clip I can get for this radio?  I've looked all over and don't see anything.  Not even a DIY modification.  Any feedback will be helpful.

DD

What about those universal swivel clips for cell phones? You might be able to drill holes into the base of the "nub" and fasten it down to the case.  It's the only thing I can think of.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one also about two weeks ago. Just got my Technician license friday. Still trying to learn about the radio, and hamming in general. Made several contacts, mostly on 2 meter so far. I bought the GPS unit  and the hand mic with mine. Also changed the rubber duck antenna to a Diamond SRH 320A. Good luck and congrats on yours.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The belt clip thing is pretty wussy I will agree with ya'll on that.   I had it clipped to my pants one day but I sure wouldnt clip it to my belt, then ride down the highway on the motorcycle.

Theres a vx8 thread here already though with pix and comments etc. I nabbed mine back in december.

vx8vthread
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

DD

What about those universal swivel clips for cell phones? You might be able to drill holes into the base of the "nub" and fasten it down to the case.  It's the only thing I can think of.  

http://www.freebrd.com/Swvlclp.jpg

Ive used those for nearly every one of my radios now. They work great and stay put.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

DD

Ive used those for nearly every one of my radios now. They work great and stay put.

Not a bad idea.  Forgive me if I'm being difficult but I am having a hard time understanding the install on this.  How do I securely fasten the button (male end) do the back of my radio.  Do you use an adhesive from 3M or is there a more secure way of attaching it?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

DD

Not a bad idea.  Forgive me if I'm being difficult but I am having a hard time understanding the install on this.  How do I securely fasten the button (male end) do the back of my radio.  Do you use an adhesive from 3M or is there a more secure way of attaching it?

I know 3M has some super strong adhesive tape (more than 500lbs of pulling weight, but I forgot the name of it.  

Or align and drill small holes, use small screws and reinforce with shoo-goo, gorilla glue, or whatever glue is your favorite.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the ones I buy have the hole already in the little button. I take the screw out of the belt clip and place it through the button. If it does not have the hole i drill one. I have a couple of the stationary non locking slots mounted in my truck and by my computer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]
So come on all you VX8r owners....range report!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So come on all you VX8r owners....range report!!

Unfortunately, my thread is gone.  But theres this one still.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=620879
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top