Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2012 1:29:30 AM EDT
I see a land owner on one of my wells on a daily basis and have gotten pretty friendly with him.
Today he was complaining about the coyote population had spiked and he was having problems.
Naturally I offered to help out of the kindness of my heart.

I have killed a few coyotes in Georgia and Virginia but never actually hunted them.
The property is in nw Ok and sw Ks, lots of open space but it is up and down hills and dips.
I've read a bunch of the coyote hunting threads here, but would still like some advice.

I am ordering a fox pro tomorrow and know i want to use 55gr vmax ammo. Now I need a rifle, optics, camo, and anything else you may come up with.
I want an ar either 18 or 20 inch preferably a factory rifle but every one I find looks heavy as hell.
What works for you and where can I find it?

I haven't been this excited about hunting since I was a little kid!

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice score!

I've only been a couple times, so not really much advice I can offer.

I did find this though:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/57370

http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.com/p/coyote-hunting-tips.html?m=1

Should you find yourself over run with coyotes, I'll gladly make the trip from fort worth to come help.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nice score!

I've only been a couple times, so not really much advice I can offer.

I did find this though:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/57370

http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.com/p/coyote-hunting-tips.html?m=1

Should you find yourself over run with coyotes, I'll gladly make the trip from fort worth to come help.

Thanks Gene!

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the predatormasters.com forum, I've learned a ton over there
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You sir are one lucky SOB!  20k acres to turn into your own personal killing fields!!!  Thats awesome.  i've only been at it for two years and mainly use public land which is hit and miss.  And usingmy father in laws 7 acres menas calling'em in from others property and smacking them the minute they hop a fence.  Great find.  However, you will find multiple different opinons on what to use.  I personally have used a .308 the Federal BTHO rounds, .223 with Speer rounds and basicl america eagle FMJ for both.  its a matter of what you want to do.  I don't skin'em.  I shoot for practice at distance.  SSSOOOO, read up and make a decision on your own.  

By the way, your going in the right direction with the Fox Pro.  You'll be amazed what those things bring in!
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]

RRA Eichler rifle

The only other option I would go with is an 18" bbl with carbon fiber free float handguard, Carbine stocked A3 upper with a trigger upgrade.  Since it doesn't sound like you reload stick with .223.

The pic above and the link is the same rifle my future son in law has and it's a nice rifle.  For optics I would the Trijicon below.

Trijicon TRG23-2

Here is an awesome camo link.  It should help you pick the best pattern for where you hunt.  

Camo comparison
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the great suggestion guys!

I drive the lease roads around here and see at least one coyote a night, more often than not I see two or more.
The local farmers tell me they are starting to become a problem with their cattle, which didn't use to be the case. I guess the population is outgrowing their food sources. The gentleman that is letting me hunt his land lost two calfs in two weeks and is now tired of dealing with them.

Anyone have any experience with the TC Venture Predator in .223? I want an ar, but don't know if I want to drop $1200+ on a rifle to hunt coyotes.
That RRA rifle is nice but it sure is expensive!

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]
You don't have to drop $1200 for an AR-15.  You can do it for 1/2.  You can get into an AR-10 for that.

Sota Arms upper $380 to $470

NFW complete lower for $110

Go better on the lower if you would like

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I had an HBAR turned down to .750 straight, nice weight.  If you go bolt gun, get a weatherby vanguard, they were going gor $350-400, high quality rifle for the price.  Or a Howa/Hogue combo if you can stand the Hogue stock.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I would just use whatever rifle you have available and adjust distance accordingly...

300, 308, 22-250(my personal fave), 223, .22lr, shotgun...etc, they will all kill them without much problem assuming you're within their effective range.  Put a piece of metal through something vital, they will die.  How fast it goes through, or how big it is, or how it reacts once in there isn't really that important.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would just use whatever rifle you have available and adjust distance accordingly...

300, 308, 22-250(my personal fave), 223, .22lr, shotgun...etc, they will all kill them without much problem assuming you're within their effective range.  Put a piece of metal through something vital, they will die.  How fast it goes through, or how big it is, or how it reacts once in there isn't really that important.

I could not have said it any better!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I hunted 1200 acres yesterday and got shut out.  We stayed in our last set until dark laying on a triple high stack of round bales.  We could really hear the howls and yips but saw no takers.  We usually start before dark or around 4pm until dark.  I try to have a good concealed spot with plain view of at least 200 yards from trees/heavy cover.  My caller is a $10 horn and $10 amp from Radio Shack with my iPod.  I downloaded several calls online and have a few long sequences with nice dead spots at the beginning to give me time to get to my spot.  I use a rabbit decoy too although I'm not sure if it helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top