Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 6:53:15 PM EDT
So tonight I'm out in my stand passing time watching cars up on the road. It's not a great afternoon for deer as the wind is blowing around 25 mph but during archery I'm in the stand good conditions or not. About a half an hour before dark I see a deer coming up behind me heading into the thick brush. I grunt and wheeze at him and he makes a bee line for me, walks under my stand, looks right at me and keeps going to about 7 yds in front of me, and stops broadside. I just shot a wall hanger 2 years ago and this deer dwarfs my wall hanger. I draw, aim, release, and damn. I hit a twig 2 feet in front of him which sent my arrow flipping into the corn. I have never been so disappointed in my life. This is the first deer in my life I have missed with a bow and I'm not taking it well and his size just adds insult to injury.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Know the feeling bro, I lost a big one 2 weeks ago
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
uuuugggghhhh that's a heart breaker, sorry bro
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my wall hanger and he made this one look small.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're gonna hunt, you're gonna have crap like that happen.
Hang in there, he'll be back and you'll score a better trophy!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
its gonna happen. bow hunting aint easy.  but atleast you completely missed to where he may not be too spooked and may come back and where you dont waste your time tracking a deer...earlier this season i took a shot at a doe caught a branch and ended up hitting her, but way back. so i tracked her for at least 3 hours before calling it off..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Remove offending twig / branch(es) and make the stand better for the next possible shot.
You hunt because you like hunting... be proud you called him in...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had good luck whistling at spooked deer. Of course its going to be different with archery hunting but when rifle hunting give a good whistle and the deer usually stop and look at you. Same goes for rabbits. YMMV

Chances are, you can get another shot at him. Might want to move your stand a little ways though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Part of the sport, I also like the fact that the TV shows are showing more misses,

Its really bad when you miss the same one twice I have been there..It was during my second year with a bow but I still think about it.

well at least your stand is in the right place, and since its the crazy time of the year he may show again.

best of luck to you,
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. I'm heading back out now armed with golden estrus. Wind is right and the neighbors are combining.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top