Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2009 10:22:52 AM EDT
Well I went looking for a rifle for the wife today and went to the sporting goods store  and they had a Mossberg 100 ATR in .243
for 279 with a scope.  So I picked it up and I want to replace the cheap 3x9 i think its a tasco. Any recommendations for a 3x9 for 100 bucks or less
its not something that is gonna get alot of use just looking for a decent budget scope.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Nikon Prostaff at $159.99 - 1st choice, over you budget but a real good bang for your buck.
Vortex Crossfire $109.95 (Lifetime warranty) - 2nd choice, American company not well known, but they are good scopes for the money
Bushnell Banner $69.95 - 3rd choice, bought my father one for his 308 and it is a good scope.

Stay away from Barska, BSA, and other cheap Chinese junk.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushnell. My father had the shotgun scopes. After many, many rounds of 12ga slug on a light shotgun (Encore), the scope started to have problems. He sent it back, and they sent him a brand new scope. I forget which one, but it was the next level up. Excellent custumer service.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]

$189.00, free shipping

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
As mentioned Nikon,
I also have used Scopes by Simmons ( Had the same one on my 30-06 for over 20 years and never had to rezero).

Unlike was previously mentioned, I have used some BSA scopes, and have had good luck with them.

As for the Tasco that came with it, I have one on a Marlin 30-30 for the last 15 years.
It came with gun when I bought it from coworker.
Seems to do fine. But then again I do not put it thru to much. Just deer season in either KY, TN or MO in November when get into some thick brush.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
the best scope out there right now for under $100 is a 3.5x10 simmons whitetail classic that is on clearance at several places like Natchez.

tough, reliable and decent glass for the money. i think i have 6-7 of them on various highpowers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a 3x9 for 100 bucks or less
its not something that is gonna get alot of use just looking for a decent budget scope.

That's what you already have...

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a 3x9 for 100 bucks or less

That's what you already have...

it has a scope not a decent one it is very fuzzy looks like a cheap tasco to me

I was actually looking at a millett buck gold scope anyone have any experience with this scope?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're looking for under $100, then you're likely not going to get much better than what the gun came with. If you bump that up to $200, you can do a lot better. Check Ebay. I saw a Nikon Buckmasters 3x9 for $164 "buy it now". I'm sure there are other deals out there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:39:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I would not buy a scope for under $100; I agree with the poster - that is what you have already. I recently saw the Bushy 2-7x 3200 out there for $169.00 and a fixed 6X Weaver for ~$129. Either of these is a step up from what you have and not that much more than your budget.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you're looking for under $100, then you're likely not going to get much better than what the gun came with. If you bump that up to $200, you can do a lot better. Check Ebay. I saw a Nikon Buckmasters 3x9 for $164 "buy it now". I'm sure there are other deals out there.

Burris and Nikon would both be good options if you can get over that $100 bump.  I've had both of those and a couple Leupolds, I would say they're all basically in the same class for anything with an MSRP under 4 bills or so.

As far as still less-expensive optics go, I would recommend seeing what the Bushnell offerings are.  I have never used their rifle scopes, but I have used binos, spotting scopes, and a rangefinder by Bushnell, and been quite happy with what I've seen.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top