Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2007 6:20:30 PM EDT
I have some cherry trees that are a few years old, but every year they get wiped out buy the japanese beetles.    If I apply Sevin dust to them, that protects them until the next rain or heavy dew.  

There is also some Bayer stuff you can pour on the roots that is absorbed and keeps the bugs off all year, but I don't think I would do that to fruit bearing trees.

Does anyone use anything good to keep off the pests?  Maybe liquid-sevin?  

Also, if there is anything good natural to use?  that could be used in a long term survival situation when commercial products were not available.  I guess on alternative would be to hand pick the bugs off.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Bag-A-Bug. My wife bought one the other day, and there are about 100 beetles in the thing now. They are still on the plants to some extent, but like you said, sevin washes off, and this works while that isn't on there. It is a sex scent attached to a box shaped thing and a bag. The bugs are attracted to it, can't get a foothold on the box thing and slip into the bag, where they just sit ther till they die.

GR
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Try Bag-A-Bug. My wife bought one the other day, and there are about 100 beetles in the thing now. They are still on the plants to some extent, but like you said, sevin washes off, and this works while that isn't on there. It is a sex scent attached to a box shaped thing and a bag. The bugs are attracted to it, can't get a foothold on the box thing and slip into the bag, where they just sit ther till they die.

thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/bag_a_bug_yard.jpg

GR

OH....MY....GOD!

Bug cruelty!!! Bug Cruelty!!!!
How could you just let them die like that?!?!? you are an evil human being!!!..

/sarcasm off
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 2:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I use these traps near where they feast.  the trap is from tanglefoot and is available
at any decent nursery.

You set the trap and put the lure (stinky stuff) and empty the trap every day.  I used
to use the bag ones but the bags get expensive.  These traps you screw the green
part off and empty the beetles out.  You can reuse it a million times.  good luck
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:52:00 AM EDT
[#4]
We have them bad here in NC.  My neighbors and I put down Milky Spore which is a power that you put down in your yard that kills the beetles in the grub stage.  So if you kill the beetles in your immediate are and do not attract more with traps using pheremone bait you will see your beetle population almost disapear.  We went from a real beetle problem to almost none in a season.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Kill the grubs, that are also eating your lawn, and the beetles will never eat your trees. My wife's roses are much better since I treat the crap out of my lawn for grubs. You can use organic or chemical treatments to kill the little bastards.

Like Monsanto says, Better living through chemicals.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Chickens. They eat every bug they can find.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/bag_a_bug_yard.jpg

GR

OH....MY....GOD!

Bug cruelty!!! Bug Cruelty!!!!
How could you just let them die like that?!?!? you are an evil human being!!!..

/sarcasm off

It gives me immense pleasure to watch them suffer.

GR
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I buy the scented bag traps, but ditch the 2qt bag and make one out of a large trash bag.  The trap will continue to attract the beetles long after the shitty little bag is full.  My heavy duty trash bag will usually catch about 20-30 pounds of bugs.

I also spray my trees before they arrive, just to make sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Weird, I came here to start a thread about this.  These little bastards are all over my front yard!  Trees, rose bushes, ferns, everything.  Sevin seemed to work well at killing them immediately, but is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?  Grub treatments every year?  Flamethrower?  

`45
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If you treat your lawn in August or September  and again in the early spring every year for grubs and other type insects that lay eggs in the ground it should take care of most of your Japanese Beatles that come out late spring and early summer. I use to have the same problem untill I had my yard sprayed and granuels put down by my pest control service. You can probably buy the stuff from Lowes or Home Depot to treat your lawn but I find it is easier to just left my pest control service do it. I dont like messing with chemicals. If you are using the traps and other such junk you are just waisting your time. Do it right and start in August and September. Kill the eggs and larvey off and your plants will not get eaten up in the Spring and Summer. I used liquid Seven and it took care of the problem temporarily. As soon as it rained the pests would come right back. Use preventive measures and you will not have any problems.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Chickens. They eat every bug they can find.

I hang a bait/lure in my wired chicken enclosure..  

I don't care how sober you are..  watching chickens fly 3 feet off the ground hitting beetles is funny.

I should charge admission.

They destroy them in the yard too..  but in confinment..  there is more competition so they seem to work a lot harder for one...

The only insect that is still around since I got chickens are the gnats..

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Try bacillus thuringiensis, which is a bacteria that when applied to the ground, kills any grubs. Lowes and HD have it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
try finding something that eats'em and keep it as a pet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Our local radio garden expert is totally against the traps. He say that they attract the beetles from your neighbors yard as well. He highly recommends the grub killin' approach as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Our local radio garden expert is totally against the traps. He say that they attract the beetles from your neighbors yard as well. He highly recommends the grub killin' approach as well.

Concur.  Milky Spore the grubs.  The bags only work if EVERYBODY uses them, otherwise you just make everyone elses problem much easier by drawing every Japanese Beetle onto your property.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top