Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 7:07:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 7:08:11 PM EST by MCSquared]
I'm hoping to find a feature based DB for ham radios.

For example, I go to Cabelas' Web site looking to purchase a gun. Once I select guns, I get a menu on the side of their Web site where I can select various check boxes, e.g. Rifle or Pistol. If I check Pistol I get to choose Revolver or Semiauto, caliber, etc, etc, etc

Same deal if I go to Microcenter's Web site looking for anything, but let's use an SD or micro SD card as an example. I can pick the form factor (SD/microSD/miniSD), capacity in GB, brand, or maybe even the class of memory. I can select a range of prices, etc, etc, etc.

Now I notice that online ham radio stores don't have this feature in their shopping menus. I'm wondering if someone has a radio DB somewhere online so I can pick band (HF/VHF/UHF/SHF), vendor, output power, bands (2m, 6m, 900MHz), features (digital modes, and which ones), and so on.

Does such a thing exist?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:36:11 PM EST
No.

But go to www.universal-radio.com.

On the left, click Online Catalog.

Now click what you want. You can read the features of each.

I'm not a big fan of eHam reviews. There are some guys on there that must have personally tested every radio against every other radio and, well, I call BS on their posts. They have reported things in some of their reviews that I know for fact are simply wrong, and they could not have actually gotten the results they claim. BS artists.

And I can't say, stick to the top brands and you'll be fine. There are some less popular brands that are just terrific, such as Ten-Tec. EVERY Ten-Tec user loves his radio, you just don't see a lot of them being used.

Also, the specs aren't everything. Radio A might have some particular spec that is better than Radio B's spec, but that does not necessarily mean that Radio A is the better radio in the real world. Rather than looking at the numbers, look at the features. Does it do what you want?

Also, I am not a big fan of the all bands in one radios. They are a compromise all around. I really prefer a dedicated HF rig and a dedicated VHF/UHF rig. In fact, in my particular case, I don't need UHF as there is NO 440 activity in my area. None. That is one place to save money, by getting a plain 2m rig, for example.

Please don't ask us what's the best/cheapest widget. Those two terms, best and cheap, are not compatible. Better to ask, "I have $xxxxx to spend on a 2m rig. What do you recommend in that price range?"
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:57:06 PM EST
Just buy whatever Jupiter7200 tells you to. That's what I do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:19:47 AM EST
This might get you part of the way there:

RigReference.com Advanced Search

Cheers,
Brick

Shamless self-plug...I don't maintain a database, but I do have a list of mostly Chinese radios here:

http://www.brickolore.com/p/the-radios.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:26:47 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BrickOLore:

Cheers,
Brick

Shamless self-plug...I don't maintain a database, but I do have a list of mostly Chinese radios here:

View Quote

That is an impressive list...

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:04:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 1:06:29 PM EST by MCSquared]
Originally Posted By BrickOLore:

Cheers,
Brick

View Quote

I have drooled on your site extensively, and your work is appreciated.

ETA

Nice link on the Rig Reference as well. About 2/3 of what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:15:27 PM EST
Brick -yes thank you!

Not a DB, but the catalogs Univrersal Radio used to send out did offer a side by side comparo of radios w/ specs FWIW
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:34:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
Just buy whatever Jupiter7200 tells you to. That's what I do.
View Quote

This. He has never steered me wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:13:16 PM EST
If you get the AES paper catalog it has comparison charts

http://www.aesham.com/

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:23:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 10:24:29 PM EST by ScooterInVegas]
Originally Posted By Derek45:
If you get the AES paper catalog it has comparison charts

http://www.aesham.com/

View Quote

If you want a paper AES catalog, get one now. The latest rumor I heard (from someone at AES) is that the currant catalog is going to be the last. PDF from here on. I told the guy its hard to keep a PDF on the back of the toilet.

Top Top